Viewing 40 posts - 81 through 120 (of 121 total)
  • Why are diet fizzy drinks bad for me?
  • coffeeking
    Free Member

So, after strenuous exercise, the people who had consumed less fuel earlier required more later? SCIENCE!!

That wasn’t quite the correct outcome (poorly remembered). IIRC, the half that had diet drinks ate significantly more than the bunch who drank the sugared drinks – i.e. net calories in were something like 25% higher in the diet drinking folk, even when taking the sugary drink into account. Naturally I don’t think this is the fault of the diet drink, but I do find that if I crave sugar (I’m fairly sensitive to blood sugar levels) and reach for diet coke, it leaves me feeling worse than if I hadn’t gone diet, but that is anecdotal. The show claimed the body sensed the sweetness and reacted to adjust for expected blood sugar levels which then never changed (due to the drink being cal free) and so the body over compensated and left you effectively feeling more of a deficit than if you hadn’t drunk anything.

It seems feasible on the face of it but I don’t know of the reality of the mechanism – does taste trigger biochemical reactions to control blood sugar content or does that only occur once the food hits the stomach?

hilldodger
    Free Member

does taste trigger biochemical reactions…..

the body’s biochemical responses start with the thought of food, then reinforced by sight/smell – by the time you’ve actually tasted it your digestive system and hormones are already in “full on” mode.

molgrips
    Free Member

Simple carbs triger the stomach to produce leptin don’t they? The satiety hormone..?

Tis why I don’t feel full on the iDiet often, I think.

druidh
    Free Member

Is Leptin available over the counter?

DrP

in the early 90s I had a mate known locally as ‘mountain bike mike’ he used to consume litres of coca cola..
    when he started drinking diet coke for ‘health reasons’ he became a heroin addict..

draw your own conclusions

Puts down can of coke. Puts down needles. Shakes head in revelation. Reassesses where life is going…..

DrP

nickc

So realistically, the best people can come up with is that is “bad” because of some indeterminate effect that either the aspartame has, or that somehow…just because it’s a sweet drink it triggers some sort of response which means you’re unable to resist stuffing your face afterwards…but there’s no real proof of either effect. Oh, and because it’s made by an american mega corp it’s probably junk (that one I can live with )

All from a can with your lunch, wow emsz, playing with fire!

scaredypants

I think I’ve just invented fizzy heroinpop. Anyone in ?

caffeine-free though; I’m not an animal

bigrich

phenylalanine is used as a sweetener and can cause Alzheimer’s.

higgo
    Free Member

How?

And why don’t these people know about it?
    http://alzheimers.org.uk/site/scripts/google_results.php?q=phenylalanine

RustyMac

My mum did a study for her degree and found that regular consumption of fizzy pop tied in with her patients who suffered from kidney stones. She also found links between Irn-Bru and harder to brake stones – my oh my how we laughed about it being made of girders.

FuzzyWuzzy

Controlled study that was peer-reviewed or was it just a correlation study? I suspect the latter in which case it’s meaningless.

RustyMac

Probably the latter but i am pretty sure it was peer reviewed as she was invited to speak about it at some big national radiography seminar so i guess there was some meaning to it.

justme
    Free Member

isn’t co2 the fizz element? CO2 is the bodies biggest waste product we expell it everytime we breath out and the harder we work the more we expell – wouldn’t drink a glass of p*ss would you?
    Also isn’t there caffine and tartrazine (sp) in some of them niether of which have a great rep as being good for you
    G

dangerousbeans
    Free Member

That’s a study into the mechanism of the amyloidosis of phenylalanine at high concentrations in the small number of people who are unfortunate enough to lack the enzyme responsible for breaking down the essential amino acid phenylalanine.

It’s describing how the damage to those individuals might occur should they consume this protein.

molgrips
    Free Member

CO2 is the bodies biggest waste product we expell it everytime we breath out and the harder we work the more we expell – wouldn’t drink a glass of p*ss would you?

Not the same thing at all.

funkrodent

Everybody on this thread is actually Ben Goldacre in disguise.

Do I win £5? Alternatively a can of Pepsi Max would be great.. 😀

And on the natural/unnatural debate, anything that sounds like it should be one of the primary ingredients in a bottle of Head&Shoulders is definitely off my “must eat” list..

*sits back and waits for inevitable post listing Yak cheese as core ingredient in some expensive rip-off shampoo/conditioner*

Northwind

justme – Member

isn’t co2 the fizz element? CO2 is the bodies biggest waste product we expell it everytime we breath out and the harder we work the more we expell – wouldn’t drink a glass of p*ss would you?

By that logic, have you stopped breathing air? It’s exactly like drinking piss you know.

DrP

CO2 is the bodies biggest waste product we expell it everytime we breath out and the harder we work the more we expell

Does it freak you out to know that when we lose weight, it’s all through breathing out more CO2 gas……
    (Read up on Moles of atoms/elements, and figure out how much volume you’d have to breath out to lose a kilogram….)

DrP

Yes – I did just give out homework on a thread….

Solo
    Free Member

Yes – I did just give out homework on a thread…

My dog has eaten my homework !.
    😯

Garry_Lager

Breathing out acetone as well – I can smell it after coming back from a run. Don’t get in on the bike as you’re always moving, that and running wrecks me but cycling usually doesn’t.

That’s fat leaving the body. Smells like victory.

DrP

That’s a sign of diabetic ketoacedosis too….

“Smell the breath for the characteristic fruity/musty odour of ketones – the smell is akin to pear drops or nail-polish remover.”

You alright Gary? Still with us…??
    Yup – He’s deadded…

DrP

Solo
    Free Member

Yup – He’s deadded…

No wonder. In your last post ^^ you just waisted him.

zilog6128

That’s a sign of diabetic ketoacedosis too….

it is, but if you don’t happen to be diabetic then ketosis is quite safe.

DrP

…but ruins my jokey observations….

DrP

zilog6128

…but ruins my jokey observations….

sorry 😳

DM52
    Free Member

How?
    And why don’t these people know about it?
    http://alzheimers.org.uk/site/scripts/google_results.php?q=phenylalanine

snigger….. they must have forgotten.

Cougar

Phenylalanine is what we derive aspartame from. It should be avoided by people with phenylketonuria (aka “PKU”), which is what that paper you linked to looks to be talking about. But PKU is an inherited genetic disorder, you can’t catch it, and it’s not Alzheimer’s.

Honestly, there’s days when I wonder if Google’s down.

Cougar

CO2 is the bodies biggest waste product we expell it everytime we breath out and the harder we work the more we expell – wouldn’t drink a glass of p*ss would you?

That’s fantastic.

higgo
    Free Member

Phenylalanine is more ‘natural’ than cheese.
    In fact there’s a lot of it in cheese.
    There’s half a gram of the stuff in an egg, FFS!

bigrich

Phenylalanine is what we derive aspartame from.

the L-amino acid is used as a sweetner.

It should be avoided by people with phenylketonuria (aka “PKU”), which is what that paper you linked to looks to be talking about. But PKU is an inherited genetic disorder, you can’t catch it,

it has been shown that temporary reduction of phenylalanine-4-hydroxylase activity can be induced by high levels of F in the diet

and it’s not Alzheimer’s.

Alzheimer’s is a disease related to the formation of amyloid from proteins, the core AB18-22 sequence is rich in F, and the VFF and FF have been shown to induce amyloid formation, but up until now it was not known that F does it too.

Honestly, there’s days when I wonder if Google’s down.

why are you using google to review the literature?

ormondroyd
    Free Member

Many people clearly need to read “Bad Science” and take a look at the provenance of some of the claims on the internet, for instance when the main lobby group is run by a “Dr” whose doctorate is an honourary doctorate of humanities awarded by a non-accredited university.

Cougar

it has been shown that temporary reduction of phenylalanine-4-hydroxylase activity can be induced by high levels of F in the diet

Alzheimer’s is a disease related to the formation of amyloid from proteins, the core AB18-22 sequence is rich in F, and the VFF and FF have been shown to induce amyloid formation, but up until now it was not known that F does it too.

I’m going to need the Cliff notes on that I’m afraid.

why are you using google to review the literature?

Because I’m not a chemist or a biologist and I lack the ability to critically review it personally. So rather than using Google to ‘review the literature’ I’m using it to try and ascertain whether wild, unsupported claims have any bearing in fact.

My layman’s knowledge indicated to the contrary; you seem to know considerably more than me in this field but frankly I’m at a loss as to whether you’re disagreeing with me or not.

allmountainventure
    Free Member

Either way it tastes blooming awful.

scaredypants

Does it freak you out to know that when we lose weight, it’s all through breathing out more CO2 gas……

I can accept the rest of this bollocks but as any fool knows, weight loss, particularly in cyclists, can be achieved ONLY by having a big poo before buying new blingy components

molgrips
    Free Member

Well not quite, weight loss is achieved by converting fat to physical work or heat, which in turn produces more CO2 that then has to be breathed out.

bigrich

I’m at a loss as to whether you’re disagreeing with me or not.

it’s called explaining. You probably wouldn’t recognise it, as it don’t happen on here much I reckon.

cynic-al
    Free Member

Fantastic work guys.

Just apply for the Big Hitter Certificates in the normal way. There shouldn’t be quite as many rejections as usual.

DrP

Well not quite, weight loss is achieved by converting fat to physical work or heat, which in turn produces more CO2 that then has to be breathed out.

100% on board with What I was saying….. I.e. the point was the physical Weight comes “off” through breathing out CO2…

I omitted the fact you need the convert fat to CO2 by releasing it’s energy somehow, as I hoped the minds of STW wouldn’t think you could lose weight simply by blowing off bucket loads of hot air… (else we’d have several amaciated big hitters…)

DrP

hmanchester
    Free Member

I did enjoy a massive fatty at work telling me that diet drinks are worse for you than the full fat Coke she was chugging.

You keep drinking yours petal, I’ll keep drinking mine!

They did a study on aspartame once with rats. It did cause cancer but I the amounts given were spectacularly high and would have provoked similar results for many other ‘safe’ food additives or even ingredients.

Viewing 40 posts - 81 through 120 (of 121 total)

The topic ‘Why are diet fizzy drinks bad for me?’ is closed to new replies.