Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 43 total)
  • Why am I not surprised, Happy Valley spoiler alert
  • cheekyboy
    Free Member

He donned his helmet,gloves and glasses with a flourish, adjusted his buff and slipped into the cleats with ease.
    Then the obvious truth slapped me like a wet pollack.

Tommy Lee Royce is a roadie.

Put a spoiler alert in your title for anyone that hasn’t seen it. I have, others might have not 😉

DickBarton

Not an issue for me…I’ve no idea who that is or why I should be aware…

I’m assuming my statement isn’t a spoiler or indeed even a shocker.

shinton
    Free Member

Put a spoiler alert in your title for anyone that hasn’t seen it. I have, others might have not 😉

You don’t need to be Mystic Meg to see where the plot line was heading 😉

StirlingCrispin

It’s like that scene in “The Thirty-Nine Steps” with Kenneth More.

pk13

He did spring into life like a smug roadie that’s just had an espresso and the last piece of carrot cake from the deli

martinhutch

Surprised at the ease of the quick unclip before joining the road. Half expecting a slow keeling over.

pk13

Rollers or turbo training in prison?

sirromj

Road riding is darkside confirmed, and, all the gear no idea.

BigJohn

I thought I saw clips ‘n straps.

rOcKeTdOg

Peaked helmet and a road bike? I’d have spotted home a mile off

fingerbang
    Free Member

theotherjonv

just catching up. Peak on the helmet, glasses under helmet straps, camelbak and clips and straps on a £3k road bike.

Is nothing sacred to this evil monster?

I have thoroughly enjoyed, didn’t watch S1 or 2 until S3 started but just caught up now ready for tonight. It’s not presenting the idyllic vision I had of Todmorden and Hebden Bridge; more deprivation / fewer action blankets than I’d thought.

Saccades
    Free Member

Why is it an issue to have the arms of the glasses under the straps?

Never got this.

redmex
    Free Member

It is a cracking series well written and I was a late starter binged the first two series over Xmas. What’s Jake Bugg up to these days? His tune fits the series so well

willard

Will be waiting until SVT have bought the rights to it so that we can get series three over here. The first two series were really good.

theotherjonv

1/ aerodynamics. The straps need to sit close to the head for maximising your outrunning the rozzers capability.

2/ And also supposedly if you crash hard then they can fly off instead of cracking and having sharp plastic embedded in your face. That’s a bit more tenuous

and 3/ BECAUSE IT’S THE RULES!

(also just noted incorrect use of apostrophes in the playstation chat – ‘Hi Ryan, its dad’. Lock him up and throw away the key!!)

What’s Jake Bugg up to these days?

Dunno, but he did a cracking set at Ynot last year

blokeuptheroad

A great end to the series IMO.  The best thing on the TV for ages.  Seeing a glimpse of humanity and vulnerability in TLR at the end was a surprise and acted really well.  Not seeing the resolution of the dodgy pharmacist side story was a bit of a disappointment but on the whole, it was gripping and satisfying drama.

halifaxpete

Yeah felt like it needed another 15 minutes to tie up the pharmacist/noncey teacher side plots better, and see CC ‘enjoy’ her retirement do would’ve been nice (not that she wouldve given the TLR stuff)

The final ‘showdown’ was ace, brilliantly written.

spacemonkey

A few elements were rather contrived in S3, eg teacher rear-ending the pharmacist outside his house, but I think the finale made up for that.

Not seeing the resolution of the dodgy pharmacist side story was a bit of a disappointment but on the whole, it was gripping and satisfying drama.

That whole thread wasn’t central to S3, particularly CC vs TLR, so IMO it made sense to have the audience read between the lines on how it was resolved once CC had shared her bit of intel at the end.

stingmered

SPOILER ALERT. I was a little disappointed. It was nice to tidy up the plots with a ‘happy’ ending but I didn’t find it anywhere near as gripping as the Season 1 finish. (Still sh1t myself cycling down that stretch of canal in Hebden 😂.) I think because of the finality of TLR it left it a bit flat for me. Would have been better if he’d not died but not knowing what happened after he gets out of hospital. Plus I can no longer whisper ‘Tommy Lee Royce’ to my OH every few months as I have done over the last 8 years and sh1t her up!
    😂

redmex
    Free Member

Sarah Lancashire plays a great part, I can still remember her as Raquel in Corrie, can’t believe I watched that shit growing up many years ago. That curly the bin man was punching well above his weight

martinhutch

A good ending, bit surprised they almost completely neutered TLR’s threat before his confrontation with Cawood, and they didn’t have some fallout from Ryan ‘betraying’ him. I suppose they wanted to mirror the opening scene of S1 (and the canal boat confrontation) for a neat resolution though. You would have thought that she would have learned her lesson about calling for backup before going into the house by now, though.

Did feel like a few story threads and characters vanished off the radar – no Ann Gallagher at all this episode, no Nev, no Richard, no Neil etc. Was expecting Neil to turn out to be more pivotal – TLR’s father, perhaps. And the way the pharmacist storyline was concluded was a bit contrived, weird that they brought back the gun-toting farmer just for this. And the ‘why doesn’t she take her coat off?’ sixth-sensy stuff never went anywhere, either.

As a series, would probably have been better without relying so heavily on the crime family stuff.

sharkbait
    Free Member

Apparetnly there where 5 different endings filmed – I wonder who knew which one was going to be used before last night?I was cringing watching her wind TLR up in kitchen – he could still have caused her some serious damage.

I wonder how far she got before the landrover broke down?

martinhutch

Apparetnly there where 5 different endings filmed

They should randomly alternate between them on iplayer streams just to confuse folk.

stingmered

I wonder how far she got before the landrover broke down?

😂😂😂

I’d also heard that there were 5 endings too. Would make a great DVD extra (I don’t know what the streaming equivalent is now!)

nickjb
    Free Member

I liked the ending. Maybe a little too upbeat given the rest of the series but I suppose everyone is still pretty broken. Just a brief text to announce TLR’s death, no fanfare or dramatic scene. Some hints that the other loose ends would be cleared up with going in to too much detail was fine for me, too.

slowoldman

Why is it an issue to have the arms of the glasses under the straps?

It’s like socks and tights.

Actually I find that arms under makes my specs wobble. Unless I’m wearing a liner in which case I stick the arms under that too.

smokey_jo

Maybe he’s not dead, maybe they’ve got him as an informer on that Gogovsky murder and stuck him in Witness Protection……

tthew

… £3k road bike.

That was no way a 3k road bike. I know it was mentioned as such, but brake cables poking out of the top of the levers? I don’t think even Sora has that these day.

My missis was very confused by the ending. Wanted to know why Sarah Lancashire was getting text updates about Transport for London. 🤣

Yeah, needed one more episode’s worth of time to tie up the teacher/pharmacist thing. Too much glossed over that for me.

DrJ

Some hints that the other loose ends would be cleared up with going in to too much detail was fine for me, too.

Same here. Plus some ambiguity about what had happened when Ryan was born.

DickBarton

Apparently the 5 endings were the same scene and words but the tone used in the words was changed for each of the 5…
    Or so said someone on a TV lunch show who knows…so I was informed as I’ve had no interest in this but it keeps getting mentioned in an attempt for something for ‘us’ to watch…

Dickyboy

Just caught up, good god that was just unbelievable shit

tenfoot

It was good but there was no answer to the real burning question –
    Why did the little girl never take her coat off!

Why did the little girl never take her coat off!

Psychological at a guess. A bit of a comfort blanket after the trauma of witnessing her mum being abused

franksinatra

Plus I can no longer whisper ‘Tommy Lee Royce’ to my OH every few months as I have done over the last 8 years and sh1t her up!

Spoiler alert, when your OH isn’t shuddering in fear when you mention his name, its a different type of shudder.

Jordan

We have enjoyed all three series and found the ending quite gripping and satisfying. It did strike me though that the final showdown was  possibly the most dialog TLR has had in all three series and I was surprised to hear him going a bit Keith Lemon at times. Any Calder valley locals care to critique the accents? TLR sounded very Leeds to me and CC sounded just like my auntie from Shipley.

Oh, and where did he learn to use a word like “sanctimonious”? I had to google it to make sure I new what it meant.

martinhutch

Catherine Cawood sounded pretty generic West Yorks to me.  I’d expect some crossover in the Calder Valley with a variety of Burnley/Bacup/Rochdale creeping in here and there, plus posh northern and even non-northern notes from Hebden Bridge incomers, so anything goes really.

I’m sure you could come up with plausible reasons why TLR has a Leeds twang – perhaps he did time in HMP Leeds for his drug offences prior to season 1?

RustySpanner

Any Calder valley locals care to critique the accents? TLR sounded very Leeds to me and CC sounded just like my auntie from Shipley.

There is no ‘Calder Valley’ accent these days IME.

Hebden is a right mix, but the older folk from Todmorden have a distinctive combo of soft Lancashire r’s and s’s (similar to Burnley, but not quite as rolled as Bury) with a dialect and manner of speech all their own. Not harsh in any way, but the vocabulary is unique. A genuine Tod local doesn’t waste breath, unnecessary words are eliminated.

A Mancunian might say ‘Do you fancy a jam butty?’

An elderly Todmordian would say ‘Thavin’ a jam bread?’

When I was young you could tell which North Manchester school someone went to by their accent.

Oasis, the soft southern shites that they are ruined that by adopting fake North Manchester accents. No one talked like that in leafy, middle class Burnage. Fake as ****.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 43 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.