Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 53 total)
  • who rides with shifter windows still attached?
  • alpin
    Free Member

kicking myself a little as i bought 'cheapo' deore shifter for the GF. currently using her bike as my forks are in for a mend and don't like the feeling of the brake lever being on the outside.

i've always removed the window thingy so i could mount the brakes on the inside to allow for one-finger-braking. my option now is to cut most of the window thing off and fill it with silicon.

who rides with the windows one their shifters?

guitarhero
    Free Member

newbs and povs

mrmichaelwright
    Free Member

people with all the gear and no idea

😉

DezB
    Free Member

I have 8 spd XTs on one bike. Do the indicators come off?

BigDummy
    Free Member

My shifters have the windows on because I run the brake levers outside and it's hassle to take them off. They are getting pretty smashed up, wierdly.

firestarter
    Free Member

id do but if i remove mine it leave two holes in them and id rather have the windows than the holes 😉

grumm
    Free Member

I've still got the shifter windows on, but I've got my brakes on the inside anyway 😕

This is X7 though.

nuke

XT shifter window is still on on the lever for the rear gears but is off on the lever for the front gears. Brakes on the inside.

it leave two holes in them and id rather have the windows than the holes

Had this issue on my LX shifters so I just stuck some helicopter tape over the hole.

ourmaninthenorth

Me. Given that I only ever ride in the big rig and smallest sprocket*, I don't see the bother.

Brakes are mounted outside.

*This may be a teensy bit of a lie…. 🙂

alpin
    Free Member

nuke, how do you mount the brake inside of the lever with the window on?

do you have very long brake levers? tried it once but can't get finger onto lever too easily/comfortably.

stick some gaffa tape or similar over holes once window removed.

Hairychested
    Free Member

I do, always have with triggers (prefer Gripshift anyway).

nuke

how do you mount the brake inside of the lever with the window on?

Whoops, wrote that wrong 😳 …my brake levers are on the outside. Sorry alpin

BoardinBob

Who gives a toss?

alpin
    Free Member

mr toss from tossbottom in tossshire. who's asking?

chvck
    Free Member

I ride with my windows on my shifters, I don't see any need for me to remove them. I have my brake levers on the outside and the shifter windows don't get in the way of anything or annoy me

Captain_Crash
    Free Member

Just ride the flippin bike !.

🙄

CC.

spooky_b329

As its your gf's bike you're borrowing, maybe she would object to you hacking off the windows?!!

simonfbarnes
    Free Member

I could never remember which way the indicators went 🙁

flamejob
    Free Member

I remember thinking christmas had come early when I took the windows off my '09 XT shifters and there was a lovely little manhole cover clipped onto the underside.

Well done Shimano 🙂

sheldona
    Free Member

I do, on the ss 🙂

alpin
    Free Member

gaffa tape….

it's technically still my bike, she's just allowed to use it.

buzz-lightyear
    Free Member

I don't think I can get them off the Deore shifters (that cam with the bike)

nedrapier

Thumbies here with inherent indicatoring. Just had to take a sharp knife to the rubber to make them fit with the new brake lever though.

BlingBling
    Free Member

They tried to make me ride with windows i said no, no, no.

Smee
    Free Member

Maybes Aye, Maybes Noh.

catshoe
    Free Member

I've always left them on. But there again, I'm a newbie. Or at least I was in 1992 when I first bought a mountain bike. What's a POV?

skinnysteel
    Free Member

Rather ride than waste time fretting over something so trivial, IMHO of course.

robob
    Free Member

i do, how else would i know what gear i was in… duh.

owenfackrell
    Free Member

I ride with my shifet windows still and have no problem one finger braking but then i do use my middle finger.

druidh
    Free Member

Ah – is this some sort of test to see how gnarly one is?

squattingmouse
    Free Member

SRAM triggers here – I find I can run them on the inside, have one finger braking and still reach both paddles with my thumb.

mamadirt
    Free Member

mick – Member

id do but if i remove mine it leave two holes in them and id rather have the windows than the holes

Do they not all come with a spare blank cover? (underneath the shifter window thingey irc). My SLXs did.

neilsonwheels
    Free Member

Do you need a blanking plate/cap when the window is removed…?

lowey

me

hazeii
    Free Member

A bit of tape works fine (though the window has never interfered with bar position, on XT anywany). Personally, the only reason to take 'em off is not so much the weight saving as the annoying rattle they develop.

coolhandluke
    Free Member

Does Microsoft really have a version of windows for bikes too? 😀

Whatever next!

LMT
    Free Member

I do, but that saying that im not a weight watcher so does it matter? and how much weight would your bike lose by taking them out??

My deore on my trek doesn't have them, and i think that the new slx ones on my p7 can be removed and have a little disc to go in place.

oliverd1981
    Free Member

Strangely it took me maybe a 2 years to get round to removing mine even though the windows were smashed and the rear wasn't even working. A tyre patch makes a good cover for the hole. they do save the tops of the lever's in certain "upside down repair" situations..

bigyinn
    Free Member

Actually I miss having then on my rh xtr shifter, but no choice seeing as they dont do them.
    At least the xt lh shifter still has them.

scuttler

I like pictures.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 53 total)

The topic ‘who rides with shifter windows still attached?’ is closed to new replies.