Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 98 total)
  • Who on this forum doesn't have a road bike then?
  • muggomagic

I had one. The speed you can go is very addictive, but that was counteracted by constantly being carved up by aggregate lorries.

vondally
    Free Member

me……………had one 20 yrs ago……..never again

SaxonRider

I have a commuter bike with skinny tyres. Does that count?

I am currently coveting almost every road bike I see, though.

druidh
    Free Member

😉

leffeboy

Only mountain bikes but having difficulty not pressing buy on a Shand Stoater 🙁

colournoise

druidh – Member
    colournoise » No road bike, but i do have a rigid SS MTB with 1.6 slicks on it. hybrid

You could call it that I guess, yes.

slainte 😉 rob

gribble
    Free Member

Just got the one bike. An unfashionable 26 inch wheeled hardtail mountain bike.

kayak23

Don’t have one. Why on earth would someone want to ride on British roads by choice?…
    😯

HermanShake
    Free Member

I have an Allez for getting about on. I tried getting into it but it’s just not particularly fun. I like ripping through traffic for a short blast, but not for more than functionally necessary.

I’d rather ride a road bike than run or swim, but they don’t tickle me either. Don’t mind bib shorts though, I’ve started stashing them beneath my baggies 😉

druidh
    Free Member

British Roads?

2008-05-26 15-06-40 by druidh_dubh, on Flickr

Northwind

I’ve got a cross bike, which mostly gets used as a road bike… And an ancient mtb with slicks for commuting/being unstealable duties.

manitou
    Free Member

no road bike for me. Ive two old fashioned 26 MTBs.

kayak23

druidh – Member
    kayak23 » Don’t have one. Why on earth would someone want to ride on British roads by choice?…
    British Roads?

Yes, British roads. Avoid at all costs, that’s my strategy…

Went on a bit of a ride in the Peaks yesterday, which involved a few road climbs. Had several cars ‘sitting on my back wheel’ for much of the climbs, had a motorcyclist buzz me about a foot away at about 60mph for just literally no reason, had to fix a flat by the side of a busy road, constant noise and close-passing……blummin horrendous. I hate the roads on a bike and will always do what I can to avoid them. 🙁

druidh
    Free Member

No road here..

kayak23

Ah but he was in control of his own danger-threshold and destiny. That looks to be his fault. On the road, any person texting their Facebook update can wipe you out at any second. I feel much safer bashing through a gnarly rock garden thanks. 🙂

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

Nope. Doesn’t interest me in the slightest. Seems any roadies that I talk to can only speak in terms of km, and how many they’ve done that day…dull

Yeh, its awesome.

“I did 75km today”

“Gosh, you’re so fit!”

“Yeah, I’m pretty ripped aswell”

Mtbers on the other hand

“I put 120psi in my forks today and tweaked the compression damping slightly, they now perform a bit better over the braking bumps at cannock, but I’ll adjust them again before my next ride as I think theres some room for improvement”

“Gosh, you’re such a geek, no wonder you’re over weight. I bet you work in IT aswell”

“Yeh, but I do drive an Audi?”

_tom_
    Free Member

Not all roads have to be dangerous to ride on.. I wouldn’t have one if I had a lot of town/busy road riding to deal with but I can go for a 25-30 mile road ride with a quick 2 minutes through a fairly quiet town then 1 busy road to deal with. It can be boring though (even in nice winding country lanes) but I don’t really do it for fun, and it’s more interesting than running.

falkirk-mark

I washed and lubed 5 mountain bikes today, the road bike was left with its flat tyres.

chris_db
    Free Member

No road bike but my Dad started Mercian Cycles off.

JoeG
    Free Member

No road bike here; no interest at all. I like being on trails, in the woods. Maybe not wilderness, but a pretty natural environment.

I guess that a hairy legged, camelbak wearing, baggy clothed, visored helmeted, full fingered glove wearing MTBer is all that I’ll ever be!

coolhandluke
    Free Member

I had an Allez from the cycle to work scheme but it didn’t move much so it went. I think it was too big for me too which didn’t help.

I miss it though so am thinking of getting another road bike…

It’s still a buz thinking I topped 48mph down Billinge hill.

nickhart
    Free Member

Me, but I do lust after a cannon dale carbon jobby, dunno why I just do!

atlaz
    Free Member

Yesterday I had one road bike. Today I have two. I’ve joined the club of winter and summer road bike owners.

lowey

Me.

julianwilson
    Free Member

I don’t. One has slick-ish tyres, a rack and full mudguards, but all my bikes have 26″ wheels and riser bars.

Yetiman
    Free Member

I don’t have one but……I was a pretty competitive road biker as a kid, and despite also having a Grifter, then a Bomber and then my first MTB in 1985, at no point would I have contemplated not having a road bike, I loved them. Then just over 20 years ago I sold my 531 Campag equipped Holdsworth Professional with a plan to build a new one…….and never got round to it, so for the past 20 years it’s always been mountain bikes. I have thought long and hard about buying one through our C2W scheme but I really don’t know how much use it would get these days.

tinsy
    Free Member

I was going to buy one during the Tour, but there didnt seem to be any left in the shops.

Seriously, I would still love a decent road bike, just not got one YET.

tonyg2003

One road bike. Nope got four and I road race too. It’s all cycling despite the MTB vs road tribalism.

teamslug
    Free Member

You couldn’t ride a road bike on roads near us. They are so bad you need 6″ full susser…..thankyou Barnsley Metropolitan Borough Council.

llamaknob
    Free Member

No not me,cant be doing with all the budgie smuggling,minching malarki 😆

fasthaggis

I never ,ever take for granted the fantastic roads (with low traffic ) I have on my doorstep.
    The idea of not having a road bike just does not compute 🙂

stilltortoise
    Free Member

I can never resist the temptation to come on these threads to enjoy the sweeping generalisations about road riding. This is at least the second this last few days 😆

It doesn’t take a genius to work out that riding on a busy pot-holed road is not optimum road-riding conditions for maximum enjoyment. Equally riding my mountain bike around Carsington Water on a sunny bank holiday weekend, playing dodge-the-pushchairs, doesn’t exactly give me a mountain biking buzz. Pick your routes and enjoy it. It’s all great fun, but if you really don’t like road riding, I won’t hold it against you.

2 road bikes, 3 1/2 mountain bikes

stilltortoise
    Free Member

I never ,ever take for granted the fantastic roads (with low traffic ) I have on my doorstep

This

Lifer
    Free Member

Oh those horrible British Roads:

TurnerGuy
    Free Member

I didn’t but bought one for a sportive last weekend that a mate at work wanted to do and tried to persuade me not to do it on the hardtail – and in the end I didn’t do the sportive due to the weather shutting off the mountain climbs 🙁

Been out several times on it, round loads of lanes/hills in the Surrey Hills but still can’t get hooked on it.

Can see the point if I lived somewhere like Honiton, where I was on holiday recently, as there were a lot of steep hills packed into a short distance, as it is good for fitness. Or if the ground is horribly wet/muddy.

But otherwise stick to the mtb.

For all those picturesque road views above, the views would be much better from up in those hills, away from the road…

Deveron53
    Free Member

Nope. Got a basic 29er with Bontrager XR0 tyres. 60 psi for road, 30 psi for mild trails. It duplicates my full-on offroad 29er except for lower bar height. The roads in rural aberdeenshire can sometimes be a bit rough or muddy so flat, wide bars suit me better.

downshep

After motorist based roadie misery in my late teens, I swore I’d never have another road bike. Ffwd 25 years; Bought an Audax bike earlier in the summer. I only ride carefully chosen rural routes on less obvious minor roads. Just completed a weekend circuit from Corran to Mallaig via Salen, then returned via Glenfinnan. Quiet, peaceful, mostly smooth roads in outstanding scenery and challenging weather. Little traffic on the A roads, virtually none elsewhere. Kept lights and Hi Viz gear on the whole time and didn’t have a single problem. Absolutely loved it, partly because I was on the right bike for the job. It would have been murder on a commuter spec mtb.

Choose your route and bike carefully and road cycling can be just as rewarding as mountainbiking.

druidh
    Free Member

downshep – fabulous roads round that way. If you get the chance, keep exploring.
    http://www.blog.scotroutes.com/2012/07/coasting-around-west-day-1.html

downshep

Cheers for the link, inspirational. Your weather was a touch better…. ’twas pissing down on Saturday! Couldn’t see Skye from Mallaig.

Fully intend further exploration, totally smitten!

TurnerGuy
    Free Member

Choose your route and bike carefully and road cycling can be just as rewarding as mountainbiking.

especially as everyone is going to 29ers in an attempt to smooth out the trails – might as well be riding on the roads…

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 98 total)

The topic ‘Who on this forum doesn't have a road bike then?’ is closed to new replies.