Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 89 total)
  • Who knows – Really knows, what their bike weighs?
  • aracer
    Free Member

I did – though the actual weight has probably changed a bit since I last weighed.

Though I have a feeling both mine and njee's weights are part of the reason for comments such as

partly inspired by all the b0ll0x spouted on here.

and

which casts a lot of doubt on many of the "calculated" weights I see for bikes on here

coming from people who probably don't realise the effort involved in getting a truly light bike, and don't realise how heavy most mass market stuff is.

juan
    Free Member

Aracer same old same hey 😉
    Will your bike sustain a megavalanche? If not maybe it's not really a mountain bike.

mieszko
    Free Member

Both bikes weighted with cheapo fishing scales but weight shouldn't be out by much.

Giant NRS, specced with reasonable xc bits weights 28lbs (with Time Z pedals)

Road bike: Lemond Sarthe, steel frame, light-ish finishing kit comes at 20lbs (with Time atac aliums) With lighter tyres/tubes and pedals it would go under 9kg for sure.

I don't really concentrate on getting the weight of my bikes down, I will compare weights of new bits I'm considering buying but I'll stick to what I do now, loosing weight off me, which is free 🙂

firestarter
    Free Member

not a clue and thats probably a good thing 🙂

yunki
    Free Member

mine is lighter than air and carries the heavy weight of responsibility

yossarian
    Free Member

I usually get the LBS to weigh mine when they finish building it.

My singular swift weighs 28.2lbs which, considering its rigid, is quite a lot 😯

simonralli2
    Free Member

Have no idea at all, but I did lift it up and think, "Oh, that's a bit lighter" when I had new forks fitted. So no idea on actuals, but am happy with the experienced weight.

pypdjl
    Free Member

coming from people who probably don't realise the effort involved in getting a truly light bike,

Effort? Building your own frame would be effort, buying a load of expensive bits just requires cash! Unless you are talking about drilling holes in cranks…

tandemwarriors

coogan – Member

All up weight gets a bit scary with the tandems. geroutofmyway – or be flattened

Need to catch people up first

Uphill that's dead true, slower than a slow thing going slowly, but on the way down……..INCOMINNNNNNNGGGGGGGG!!!!!!!!!

njee20
    Free Member

Will your bike sustain a megavalanche? If not maybe it's not really a mountain bike.

What a crock of sh1t!

I'm confident mine would survive it, they wouldn't be particularly appropriate, but wierdly, light bikes don't fold up at the sight of anything technical!

If I lived in your neck of the woods Juan I'd probably have something burlier, but I don't, so it seems daft! I don't see any need for 6" of travel and 2.5" tyres to ride round here, but that's another argument altogether!

alexathome
    Free Member

Flux, less than 24 I think. And a steel Mather SS about 20 and cervelo R3SL at about 15 lbs, all with pedals. Me, about 20 lbs (over weight) 😳

coopersport1
    Free Member

Orange 5 26.6lb, I know because of air freighting it, I don't however care!

oldgit
    Free Member

No idea they are what they are.
    However there must be two types of Imperial weighing systems in use. I've got a Frame only Giant XTC built with XT an XTR, light forks flat bars etc, and it's far heavier than the £499 MBR tested hardtails.

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

Weighting bikes on bathroom scales? I doubt they're accurate to any less than 2lbs either way, FFS!

cynic-al
    Free Member

maths FAIL Peter!

Anyway I am also supercool as don't know and don't care.

br
    Free Member

oldgit

Don't disagree, but then they remove pedals, cruds, and probably other stuff too – and are often small sizes – plus really, really, really clean.

Scienceofficer
    Free Member

2005 5spot 28.9lbs
    2007 456 SS 24.6lbs

GSI-MAN
    Free Member

GT Zaskar=21.6 pounds

ooOOoo
    Free Member

errrr….this is a metric country now people.
    (Apart from km's of course – what a wishy, washy, weeny unit that is for distance)

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

If you fill the frame tubes and tyres with helium will it weigh less?

ononeorange

My Soul is around 28ish lbs I think (could build it up lighter if I had some spare cash) at the beginning of a ride. At that last evil, long hill at the end it's about 45 lbs. FACT.

juan
    Free Member

I don't see any need for 6" of travel and 2.5" tyres to ride round here, but that's another argument altogether!

Yeah but then you don't have mountains do you?

Nobby

I have no idea about mine but this thread is making me mildly curious.

Daffy

All without pedals.

Mojo (FS)- 25.38lbs
    Indy Fab Steel Deluxe(HT)- 24.19lbs
    Salsa Mamsita (29er HT) – 23.65lbs
    Klein Attitude (HT) – 22.96lbs
    On One Ti29er (29er HT Rigid SS) – 20.91lbs

My work stand has a digital weight scale in it so they all get weighed as they get finished.

alpin
    Free Member

my DB Alpine – with 2-Step Lyriks, relatively light bar/stem combo, Ti saddle, 2.4 tyres and SLX/XT gearing – weighs in a t 14.4kg. that's 31-3/4 lbs. not light, but well'ard.

ski
    Free Member

No idea here too.

Then again, my GP asked me what my weight was recently & I had no clue at that either!

Dougal
    Free Member

MSC Koncept Carbon (26er FS) – 20.57lbs inc. pedals and a number board.

Not a fan of the calculated weight thing, as it tends to be done by people procrastinating on what will actually win races:- training.

votchy
    Free Member

Orange 5 – 14.57kg

v10
    Free Member

2010 Anthem X2 with a few 'tweaks' 24.05lb with pedals.

Scienceofficer
    Free Member

Calculated weights come out as piffle anyway.

I don't believe them any more than those who reckon they know the weight of their bikes by hefting them and sucking air through their teeth.

michaelbowden

Why do people weigh their bike without pedals? Mine got weighed purely out of interest but set ups as it is ridden. i.e. pedals, bottle cages and seat pack.

I_Ache
    Free Member

On my fleabay fishing scales which arnt calibrated (but at these weights does it really matter?) my Pitch weighs a shade over 30lbs and my DMR about 31.5lbs while my road bike comes in at 19lbs.

It might be out a little but I'm not a racer so it doesn't really bother me. The scales are accurate enough to satisfy my curiosity.

thomthumb
    Free Member

Yup, I know that my Orange 5 weighs 28.29lbs, weighed on the calibrated scales at work

calibrated to what accuracy? 😉

my scales are shockingly rubbish. weighing the same bike 3 times can give 28/ 32 /35lbs!

my reckoning is my scandal is 28lbs. (rigid singlspeed)

cookeaa

The question should really be how much do you actually care?

Purely out of curiosity I’ve weighed both my MTBs in the past, using the high accuracy Bathroom scales method:

Solid Acer : 30lbs-ish
    DMR Exalt: 36lbs-ish

Beyond that I don’t really give a shit, I’m not going to deliberately try and lighten either bike as that would involve spending money and time, neither of which I seem to have spare these days…

ooOOoo
    Free Member

What is the point of list threads like this
    Nobody comments on anybody else's bike

njee20
    Free Member

Yeah but then you don't have mountains do you?

I'd not realised that was a prerequisite for buying a mountain bike? Someone needs to tell the 99.9% of people who buy MTBs and don't live in the mountains!

I'm not sure I get your argument, I have a lighter, less burly bike than you because I live somewhere with less harsh terrain. A lot of people choose something tougher, I Personally don't see the need considering my own riding style and terrain! At no point have I berated anyone for their choice of bike, it's horses for courses!

br
    Free Member

Look lets just accept that you guys are absolutely correct, weight is irrelevent for MTBing.

I mean, doesn't matter what Peaty (DH) and Oli (XC) think or do, they're obviously wrong:

http://www.bikemagic.com/gear-news/steve-peats-santa-cruz-v10/7279.html
    http://www.bikemagic.com/gear-news/oli-beckingsales-giant-anthem-advanced/5461.html

juan
    Free Member

njee the point is should it really be named 'mountain bike'?

Rorschach
    Free Member

19.9lb cx,21.4lb ss 29,22.2lb bmx.

njee20
    Free Member

Yes juan, they are mountain bikes, they are not downhill bikes! If I was riding up mountain, and then down and I wanted to get to the top as quickly as possible I'd be happy with my choice of bike!

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 89 total)

The topic ‘Who knows – Really knows, what their bike weighs?’ is closed to new replies.