Viewing 38 posts - 1 through 38 (of 38 total)
  • Who is heading to Le Mans this week?
  • withersea
    Free Member

Should be a great LMP1 race and my money is on Audi being back on top.

Flying out Friday morning and driving down from Paris.

Who else is on the way?

sijackson
    Free Member

Leaving weds morning. 1300 mile round trip from northeast. Tenth visit, wobbling around on battered SS Surly Crosscheck.

daviek

I’ll be watching it on TV! Would love to go though. The build up this week should be good.

Hope the weather holds out, not sure who will win though.

bikebouy
    Free Member

I’m all set to watch it over the weekend. This, to me, is the motorsport I watch every year.

Have fun to all those going out, take ear plugs!!

8)

bombjack
    Free Member

Wish I was going this year, however having seen the weather forecast maybe not so… Hopefully this will mean it’ll be a scorcher next year when I’m allowed back 😉
    I reckon Toyota (finally) for the LMP1 win, with Ford winning GTE pro by a mile.

simondbarnes

Me! Ferry from Poole tomorrow morning. Am really hoping the chest and throat infection I appear to have buggers off soon so that I can enjoy copious quantities of red wine and cheese.

Gee-Jay
    Free Member

Not going this year 🙁 – Anybody who finds themselves near the tartiflette stand please have one for me, it excellent hangover food

allthegear
    Free Member

I’ll be riding through next Monday – just too late to see anything!

It does remind me that the camera cops will be out in force though – need to keep the XR under the limit!

Rachel

beardo74
    Free Member

Me! Heading over there on Thursday. This will be at least my seventh trip. Weather looks a little ropey for Friday, but that should calm down some of the Mad Friday chavs. Really looking forward to seeing the Ford gt running. Promises to be a classic race this year.

My only regret is not having arranged a folding bike to take with me – I always get an urge to do some exercise about half way through the weekend to burn off the Murguez (sp?) sausages and cheese.

rosscopeco
    Free Member

Me and 5 others from Glasgow on Thursday inc dalhalvaig from here.

Somehow we managed to convince 2 of the other guys to take their cars…a RS4 avant and a 911…looking forward to my shot at the wheel although the luggage storage will make things a bit tight!

So…what’s the general thoughts on food whilst there? Over the last few years we’ve taken some but the last 2 years we’ve started to eat out more and only really take breakfast stuff…it saves a good bit of hassle but obviously costs a bit more.

Thinking about taking more whisky this year…the logic being ‘warm whisky is better than warm beer’…oh…red wine should be drunk warmish…must experiment with that too!

simondbarnes

So…what’s the general thoughts on food whilst there? Over the last few years we’ve taken some but the last 2 years we’ve started to eat out more and only really take breakfast stuff…it saves a good bit of hassle but obviously costs a bit more.

Don’t really take anything. Supermarche trip when we get there on Wednesday for beer, wine, cheese, bread, olives etc… and then nip back when we need to for BBQ stuff and more alcohol. And bags of ice cubes for the beer 🙂

jambalaya
    Free Member

I can’t believe another year goes by and I haven’t arranged anything, sadly have a clash Friday and Saturday which is very careless as we are in Paris 😐

tenfoot

We used to get burgers, bacon, rolls etc on the Wednesday night, and drive down Thursday. Someone often put together a spag bol the night before too. Everything was kept in cool bags, although the last two years we went, we had a small genny and a fridge.

Once we were on site (Maison Blanche), no-one particularly wanted to leave it, to go off shopping, especially on mad Friday.

sharkbait
    Free Member

Keep saying that we must go but never make it. I’ll be watching loads on TV though. Porsche FTW hopefully.

withersea
    Free Member

Food – supermarket shop and beer and beer and ice.

Race/weather combo should make it memorable.

This is either my 8th or 9th trip. For those who haven’t been, make sure you make plans for next year, you don’t know what you are missing.

benp1

Never been, would like to go one year, would also like to go to the TT one year (in preference to Le Mans actually)

Has anyone even taken a bike to get around?

milky1980
    Free Member

Went for 3 consecutive years ’07-9, was brilliant 8) Need to go again sometime.

benp1 – took an old cheap Apollo and just chained it to the fence when needed. No big lock needed as anyone waning a bike would just take an unlocked one. Makes getting around the outside of the circuit at night really easy as you can/could cut through the woods to view the Mulsanne.

motivforz
    Free Member

Heading down Thursday am, public transport, but my camping buddy has bailed so I’ll be hitch-hiking to get around Thursday, Friday and Monday.
    Porsche to win everything.

sijackson
    Free Member

Food is easy enough, plenty of options. Usually just take breakfast and eat out for everything else. Super U at Arnage has a good buffet style cafe which is cheap. Couple of nice places for breakfast down in Mulsanne too.
    Push bike makes for a better trip, such a big place to get round. Arnage Corner at night during race and friday drivers parade in town so much easier to do.
    As for a winner this year? Hard to predict. A Rebelion on the podium though!

simondbarnes

Just a little jaunt from Cherbourg to go now. Wish it was a bit warmer but can’t have everything.

everyone
    Free Member

I’ll be there courtesy of Eurosport, will be doing the usual of trying to stay awake and watch most of it.

justinbieber

Not going for the main event, but I’m off to Le Mans Classic in a few weeks

tenfoot

I would love to see a Rebellion on the podium. Might happen, but unfortunately not likely.

I think they have altered the circuit a bit at Arnage, which has resulted in more spectator viewing.

bombjack
    Free Member

I would love to see a Rebellion on the podium. Might happen, but unfortunately not likely.

With (only) 6 factory LMP1 cars I reckon they’ve got a shot – Less prototypes = more GT cars = more traffic. Its a long race don’t forget, add the typically French weather into the mix and it looks like we could have a classic on our hands. Last time out at Spa no-one wanted to win the damn thing…

tenfoot

Ah. I didn’t realise the factory teams were only running 2 cars each this year. As you say that gives Rebellion a better chance than previously.

dalhalvaig
    Free Member

Me and 5 others from Glasgow on Thursday inc dalhalvaig from here.

Somehow we managed to convince 2 of the other guys to take their cars…a RS4 avant and a 911…looking forward to my shot at the wheel although the luggage storage will make things a bit tight!

Keep it quiet…haven’t told the wife yet!

Looking forward to the annual pilgrimage. This will be my 21st visit. First time was in 1990 – Group C days, that I loved. But, I really think we are in a golden age right now with the mix of LMPs and GTEs.

As far as who will win…
    It doesn’t really matter…and there is no point in trying to guess till about 2 hours before the end, when in effect it’s a Grand Prix.

And that is why we all keep going back…
    you win if…
    you traveled in a cool car
    you built a crazy beer wall
    you managed to get home with some official signage in the back of the car – (we still have a sign of the Dunlop Grandstand spelt Dunplop!)
    you brought your own grandstand – guys used to build one in Maison Blanche every year

or this is you…

daviek

If you’re there right now I hope you have somewhere nice and dry to sit in!!

tenfoot

A bit wet isn’t it? Some tidy spins by a couple of Ferraris before they stopped the session

daviek

Raining for the start! Hope it doesn’t get too messy but can’t see the first 2 or 3 laps going without a couple going out especially with a grid of 60 cars.

everyone
    Free Member

I’m excited to see what Chris Hoy (no. 25 LMP2 Nissan) can do!

daviek

Nearly didn’t get a chance, his teammate almost took out a LMP1

daviek

My good god! Feel really bad for Toyota

tenfoot

6 minutes to go. A real shame.

bikebouy
    Free Member

Crazy ending to a fabulous race.

I’ve loved watching the Europsort coverage, which is spectacular, all over again.

See you all next year 8)

philxx1975
    Free Member

23 hours and 50 minutes of le mans for toyota

and oh look

Porsche proved yet again you have to run the car for 24 hours

Pickers

Porsche proved yet again you have to run the car for 24 hours

This. They say to finish first, first you must finish.
    It was desperately cruel luck for Toyota though, you have to feel for them.
    Possibly the most difficult finish since Carlos Sainz at the 1998 RAC Rally, in, err, a Toyota.

sharkbait
    Free Member

Great shame for Toyota as they joined up all the dots apart from the very last one and they deserved to win this time. That said I’m very happy Porsche made it win #18, pity Audi got onto the podium.

simondbarnes

A bit gutted for Toyota. Porsche were very poor this year compared to last. Toyota were massively better than last year and had appeared to have done everything right. Have been drowning my sorrows in bar tertre rouge and back at the campsite.

I think given a years development that audi will probably walk it next year.

Viewing 38 posts - 1 through 38 (of 38 total)

The topic ‘Who is heading to Le Mans this week?’ is closed to new replies.