Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 82 total)
  • Who do you get complaints from while mtbing?
  • awh
    Free Member

Following on from the mountain biker relations thread it has occurred to me that the only people that I’ve ever had any critical comments from about me mtbing are women in their 50s and 60s. Why is this??? Or is it just me???

Trekster

I am in that age group, won’t catch me complaining 😉

cookeaa

Its mostly just Tuts from the 50-70 year olds…

The worst ones IME are ~35-45 Male dog walkers as they are quite often seething balls of pent up middle age rage, I presume it’s because their lives haven’t turned out as they hoped and they find themselves effectively oppressed by family commitments etc, walking their spouses/childrens Dog rather than persuing their own interests…

Just avoid them, same as if you see someone driving a Citroen Xsara MPV on any UK motorway, just stay well clear the reek of Mid-life failure is all over them and they’ll either try to out run it or feel like a winner by picking a pointless fight with a stranger…

Citroen Xsara driving, Dog owning, 40 year old, Fathers of 2+ Children are the worst of all – FACT!

bullandbladder
    Free Member

Everyone. I just assume it’s my face though.

philconsequence
    Free Member

nobody, ok… the paramedics when they need to rescue me in the dark after stoopid OTBs

awh
    Free Member

My theory that men don’t care if you’re on a cheeky trail or appearing to go fast because they’re interested in your bike isn’t holding then!

bjj.andy.w
    Free Member

The wife

agentdagnamit
    Free Member

Friends, on long climbs.

thomthumb
    Free Member

the mrs.

ads678

The wife

Beaten to it!!

My legs and lungs complain a lot as well, but thats my fault for eating too many pies!!

rocketman
    Free Member

35-45 Male dog walkers as they are quite often seething balls of pent up middle age rage

😆 +1

Rubber_Buccaneer

women in their 50s and 60s. Why is this???

Maybe because they don’t care about making a fuss. Possibly everyone thinks you ride like a **** but only the older women voice their opinion?

brakes
    Free Member

3 words for you.
    men o pause.

AndrewJ
    Free Member

The worst ones IME are ~35-45 Male dog walkers

Reminds me of an incident with the above. I was approaching a gate and dog walker was just closing it. As I got there he just shouted at me “what did you say about my dog”. I said that I hadn’t said anything and he started ranting, that was until my 6’6″ ex rugby playing mate caught up with me, 🙂

awh
    Free Member

Possibly everyone thinks you ride like a **** but only the older women voice their opinion?

After all the annoying behaviour I’ve experienced from other countryside users (mainly from dog walkers not controlling their dog) I cycle very courteously. It’s always very obvious I slow right down to pass people. 🙂

buzz-lightyear
    Free Member

Tories

coffeeking
    Free Member

I never really seem to get complaints anymore.

D0NK

don’t get many complaints at all, the profile of the people who complain to anyone riding behind me is normally older ladies.

Junkyard
    Free Member

I get complaints from old ladies about DONK 😉

No really its true- o k I had one anyway in 4 years does that count?

I get complaints from DONK for faffing it is entirely unwarranted and without cause.

wwaswas

As above, unless I’m riding anythign remotely technical in which case the laughter and ‘That looked painful, are you ok?’ questions tend to come to the fore.

mogrim

Citroen Xsara driving, Dog owning, 40 year old, Fathers of 2+ Children are the worst of all – FACT!

Thank god I’ve got a Renault Scenic, then.

chakaping
    Free Member

Riding buddies about my creaking pivots or noisy shorts.

Sometimes get dirty looks from older persons in barbour coats when riding in Surrey Hills, but not had any bother locally for years – happily.

Aidan
    Free Member

Horse riders of all ages.

“You scared my horse by being too quiet. You should use a bell or sing.”

“You scared my horse by being too noisy”

“You can’t ride here it’s a bridleway”

“You can’t ride here it’s a footpath”

Generally a miserable lot, plodding around the country telling people off and not saying thank you.

fasthaggis

I always get “Sorry,but your politeness ,and cheery demeanour ,makes me feel sick” . 😀

joao3v16
    Free Member

I’ve never had any complaints.

I must be doing it wrong.

(Or, is it because I’m doing it right? – no cheeky trails, footpaths, scaring horseists etc)

wwaswas

Or, is it because I’m doing it right? – no cheeky trails, footpaths

that’s doing it legally, not right 😉

PJM1974
    Free Member

Ten years of riding and three complaints…one from a middle aged BMW driver who went ragey on me because he didn’t like it when I said “tawt!” at him when he nearly nerfed me off the road. Another was from a late fifties female dogwalker who threw a stick for her dog onto a cycle path and who promptly denied it was a cycle path despite being stood under a sign that told her otherwise. Her husband certainly took no offence when I berated her for her colossal stupidity. The third one was another late fifties woman who had a go at me because she was concerned that I “might ride that bike somewhere you’re not supposed to”, despite the fact that she’d parked her car on a bridleway…

anono

I had an unusual one last night – was riding on the road between a couple of bridleways when a range rover slowed to a stop, the guy wound down his window and complained “your light’s too bright – it’ll cause a ******* accident”.

I provided (under my breath) an appropriate response and only later realised that if every car to stopped and swore at me the chance of accidents (certainly ones involving me) would probably be close to zero.

Next time I’ll be ready to point this out (and one for the STW pedants out there) could I also accuse him of some sort of practical oxymoron?

kudos100
    Free Member

When I manual through a puddle and soak ramblers they tend to complain.

Other than that, I don’t get many complaints.

tazzymtb

I don’t, it must be something to do with my beatific smile and delicate wall flower looks.

* people running away screaming, generally looking a bit concerned or hiding are quite normal though* 😥

yunki
    Free Member

+1 for wife and Tories though rarely at the same time..

Northwind

Aidan – Member

Horse riders of all ages.

“You scared my horse by being too quiet.”
    “You scared my horse by being too noisy”

Approaching a group of horsyclists, I got told off by the first one for going too fast (walking pace) then I got told off by the last one for going too slow.

Also been properly screamed at for using my bell on the water of leith path… That was a bit weird, put me off using it for ages.

On the plus side, last night I passed a walker in poet’s glen, came up behind him slowly and called out “excuse me”, he more or less leapt off the path then shouted “ALLEZ ALLEZ” at me as I rode away :mrgreen:

jimjam
    Free Member

cookeaa

The worst ones IME are ~35-45 Male dog walkers as they are quite often seething balls of pent up middle age rage, I presume it’s because their lives haven’t turned out as they hoped and they find themselves effectively oppressed by family commitments etc, walking their spouses/childrens Dog rather than persuing their own interests…

I’d agree but extend the upper age of that. Male dog walkers 35 and beyond really tend to be out hating life. A toy dog is a pretty obvious sign they are walking their wife or daughters dog, which they hate, which embarrasses them, never mind having to scoop up it’s muck….

Just avoid them, same as if you see someone driving a Citroen Xsara MPV on any UK motorway, just stay well clear the reek of Mid-life failure is all over them and they’ll either try to out run it or feel like a winner by picking a pointless fight with a stranger…

This is a phenomena I’ve observed a lot recently – the super aggressive people carrier man. Not sure how he escaped my notice so long, but he is now right up there with van man, merc gent and Audi c**k. All of whom can tailgate, speed and drive light ****s with superhuman ability!

billyboulders
    Free Member

Reminds me of an incident some years ago now-

Angry rambler (as my mate passes slowly with plenty of room) “Oi where’s your bell”
    Ramblers wife (shouts at rambler) “You didn’t hear me say watch out there’s a bike coming and I’m right beside you- how are you gonna hear a bicycle bell? Stop being such a dick!”

😀

el_boufador

I never really seem to get complaints anymore.

absolutely ck – used to get loads of shti off the older generation of walkers / farmers but don’t get so much nowadays, despite being cheekier.

they’re all dead now I suppose!

GW
    Free Member

mainly just the high horse brigade on here

chrisdw
    Free Member

None so far! Except in my teenage years when using people as slalom objects was good fun.

But no proper complaints as of yet. I almost feel like I’m missing out on a part of the lifestyle! 😛

Gary_C

My knees…

coffeeking
    Free Member

I had an unusual one last night – was riding on the road between a couple of bridleways when a range rover slowed to a stop, the guy wound down his window and complained “your light’s too bright – it’ll cause a ******* accident”.

That’s certainly not unusual and not without cause either. I used to ride with 40w of halogen on the road, it’s only when I started driving and seeing the same thing coming at me at head height with no beam pattern did I realise it’s like being full-beamed by a car, especially with some of the ridiculous lumen-arms-race lights being flashed around these days. Yet again though, cyclists seem to want special consideration and law-free status on the road.

DickBarton

My legs, lungs and the voices in my head…

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 82 total)

The topic ‘Who do you get complaints from while mtbing?’ is closed to new replies.