Home Forums Bike Forum Who can teach me to jump – Tuition Required

Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)
  • Who can teach me to jump – Tuition Required
    v7fmp

Hey all,

After years of riding, like many of us, i have never managed to nail jumping. I can make my way across some tables and gap jumps, but its usually a combo of speed and decent take off ramp that gets me through, rather than actual technique and skill.

I did a ‘beginners jump course’ at Bike Park Wales a few years ago and whilst it did help, it hasn’t gifted me the skills to consistently jump. Not to mention a million YouTube video’s.

My lack of ability in the air hasn’t bothered me too much, but after a week in Morzine, watching people cruising the lines with 20 tables, clearing them all, has made me determined to up my skillset.

So, who in the country can teach me how to jump. I want to be able to hit a trail with multiple table tops and clear them all, hopefully with a bit of confidence and ideally style (i appreciate that might come later).

I live on the south coast, but if there is a wizard out there that will make it so, i am happy to travel.

Who have you used, how much did you improve, and how many hours/days/weeks did it take?

Make me fly!

tonyg2003

The Jedi is who me and my friends have used for jump training

jedi – UK Bike Skills https://ukbikeskills.co.uk/category/jedi/

tomhoward

Another vote for @jedi

_tom_
    Free Member

Yep, another vote for Tony/Jedi!

xcgb
    Free Member

Jedi!

I went a couple of weeks ago to improve jumping, he did way more than just that, cornering, drops, bike setup all much better now

argee

Work out how far you’re willing to go and see what is available, by south coast, do you mean west or east, there’s decent coaching available at most of the B1ke stuff at Windhill, Tidworth, Rogate, etc, so checking there is worthwhile, round my area it’s all over in FoD mainly, likes of Katy Curd and many others do stuff all the time.

Now sure about the east though, think Jedi is over that side of the country, always worth working out a weekend away, days coaching, day playing if you can.

kimbers

100% Jedi is the one you seek

take a notepad and when your day is finished write down your takeaways and use them to help you keep practising

while Ive no doubt that Tony will get you airborn its when you are away back on home trails that you have to keep practising and progressing

v7fmp

cheers everyone!

An email has been sent to Jedi.

I am just outside of Brighton, so i think thats falls into South East.

Not far from Rogate, so i will see what they can offer too.

twistedpencil

Tony is absolutley brilliant for this, I’ve had two great sessions with him in the past and will return no doubt in the future.  He got me over a fear of gaps very quickly and I have photo evidence of wheels off the ground in races since having sessions with him!

theotherjonv

another +1 for jedi.

But also remember that jumping’s easy. Landing, on the other hand…..

cheekysprocket

For me, it’s not just been tuition, but absolutely hours and hours of practice, variously over recent years (including the tatty jumps in Wild Park and Patcham Place some 14 years ago!). I think that’s the key ingredient that often gets forgotten about. Stubborn motivation is key. Studying YouTube videos, scrutinising videos of myself and mates to see where I’m/we’re going wrong, and then going back out to fix it. And repeat. To the point of obsession. I must have spent a good six or seven hours over three days during a recent Morzine trip sessioning the newly rebuilt jump park in Les Gets. Finally I’m consistently clearing tables and gaps on the blues, and some of the reds. Boosting up into the air is coming a little more naturally, and once I’m in the air, I’m a lot more relaxed and able to think about landing the bike. But what feels like five feet of air is turning out to be more like two or three sometimes, so I know I’ve more work to do.  Keen to go play on the jumps at Leeds BP after work on Thursday, see where I’m at, and then see about getting tuition locally to take what I’ve learned so far further.

But it’s just the best feeling when you start to clear stuff, land your bike nicely, and generally play a bit more on the trail. I can’t recommend it enough. Good luck in your quest.

jedi

Thanks for the love guys

Giallograle
    Free Member

Another vote for Tony!

jkomo

I wouldn’t mind joining you for this.

DrP

while Ive no doubt that Tony will get you airborn its when you are away back on home trails that you have to keep practising and progressing

This is the key..

Come out for a ride with us one day… wither locally, or Surrey hills, or even Rogate for a session…

DrP

bikesandboots

So far I’ve been taught to jump but haven’t learnt to jump.

To repurpose a prickly remark once made by a uni professor.

sharkattack

If it makes you feel slightly better I find lots of the jumps around Morzine and Les Gets just not that good.

They build of lots of trail centre style ‘humps’ with no transition. They have really inconsistent sizes and shapes on every trail. They put gap jumps on the exits of 180 degrees berms etc etc… They’re often just more effort than they’re worth.

Probably out of budget but go to Whistler and ride A-line every day.

davosaurusrex

I’ve been to Jedi years back, excellent but I’m also on the south coast and it’s a fair hike. Some mates have just done a day with Daryl Brown at the Bull track in Crowborough and said it was excellent, three of them, think they paid £80 each. I had to miss it as injured but will book a session when I’m back to strength

zerocool

Tony/Jedi.  Probably Katy Curd.

colournoise

Came here to say Jedi but beaten to it.

Been a couple of times but not for a few years now. Back there in a couple of weeks to sharpen up my still a bit weak jump techniques.

Northwind

Different people learn different ways. Like, I did a jump course with dirt school and tbf, it didn’t really work for me. I was having trouble on the day following the explanations and putting it into effect, I did make a little progress but afterwards very little stuck, a month later I was basically back to square one. Not a criticism of Andy Barlow’s tuition, I could see other people for whom it clicked, it just wasn’t right for me.

I did a session with Andy Weir from Ridelines I think a couple of years after and for whatever reasons, his methods and his descriptions made more sense to me. I didn’t really take much more away from the day but it stuck, it gave me way more confidence to go on and try other stuff.

quentyn

Another vote for tony the jedi

I couldn’t jump – after a day with him on his track I now can. Really nice guy and a great coach

v7fmp

thanks for the further feedback guys n gals.

I fully appreciate that not all tutoring methods work for everyone, but i want to give it a try. maybe it will work for me, maybe it wont.

Practice is the key for sure, but its hard to practice when you have little technique. For example, i can clear all the ‘doubles’ on secret santa in the surrey hills, but cant clear the smooth jumps of Popty Ping at BPW. Anything with a big transition/take off ramp…. i just dont know what to do.

@DrP
    – do you still have my number from a while back?

@davosaurusrex
    – thanks for the tip, i will check out Daryl.

Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.