Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 78 total)
  • Who can do a "manual"?
  • Harry_the_Spider

I can’t.

lobby_dosser
    Free Member

about a small puddles length- so I’m no Danny MacAskill

joshvegas
    Free Member

I dreamt I did one. Does that count?

kayak23

Through a rhythm section, not on flat for long. Tears me up inside. 😥

eshershore
    Free Member

bmx is best fun for manuals!

especially hop to manual, or simple stuff like finding an empty car park and doing long manuals round and round in circles

Rorschach
    Free Member

“Cee Meester Foultee.Eez a hamstah”.

scaled
    Free Member

I have commitment issues.

edenvalleyboy
    Free Member

Oh..I thought this was about IKEA furniture…

..I would like to think I can manual small dips, bumps and puddles etc but I know an expert would say..”sure you’re going though that on one wheel but it’s not technically a manual….more a lift and hope”…

Rubber_Buccaneer

Not me, and at 47 maybe I should consider the possibility I’m never going to learn but at this time of year it is traditional for me to start thinking about all the things that I’m definitely going to do this year before another summer drifts by

withersea
    Free Member

After three skills courses, nope, no I can’t.

chris_db
    Free Member

I’m good with a bit of pop but don’t fancy the inevitable hospital visit on trying to do a proper job.

fathomer

Nope, maybe a small to medium puddles worth.

Last time I had a proper go on a bit of fire road I forgot to cover the back brake and ended up with a very bruised arse cheek.

grizedaleforest

Only when I least expect it…

perchypanther
    Free Member

coffeeking
    Free Member

Yes but very geometry dependent. I struggle not to do them on my trials bike or my undersized inbred. It’s slightly harder on my c456 because of the longer chain stay length.

rocketman
    Free Member

[swoon]I often manual through puddles thus eliminating the need for unsightly mudguards[/swoon]

JefWachowchow
    Free Member

Ah, it is quite satisfying to know that we are all in good company here.
    I try, every ride I am trying to push the manual a little further. However, they are always very modest and lack a certain commitment required. Fear of landing on the coccyx. I try and feather the back brake to prevent looping out but lack the dexterity when it’s required and the front slams to the ground.
    At 44 I know I will never get to the Wynn Masters level but there is nothing quite like the feeling of a well timed and well executed loft over the chosen, albeit modest, gap or indeed puddle to make us feel a bit super.

binners

I can’t. But it provided much hilarity watching you lot try (and fail) at it last night 😀

kayla1
    Free Member

Kind of. Enough to not just batter or steamroller my way through stuff but not well enough to go for miles on flat.

wwaswas

I do a ‘hoick’.

Basically you pull the bars back and up with your arms.

The distance you travel on your back wheel is entirely dependent on how fast you’re going. Usually it’s just enough for the front wheel to clear a small log.

BigJohn

Very good Rorschach.

howsyourdad1
    Free Member

I can I’m really good at them and my bike isn’t really expensive 🙂 🙂 🙂 🙂

twistedpencil

Have been trying since the Dirt Fundamentals dvd came out…

Nearly got the hang of it on the BMX then crocked myself and got a new BMX and can’t get close again 🙁

thenorthwind

Very good Rorschach.

Read it again. Got it this time. +1 😀

I too am better at comedy than manuals. And I’m not that funny.

opusone
    Free Member

Occasionally. Considering getting a bmx or a trials bike (I’m 35, so this is probably socially deviant) to get better.

rOcKeTdOg

ubber_Buccaneer – Member
    Not me, and at 47 maybe I should consider the possibility I’m never going to learn but at this time of year it is traditional for me to start thinking about all the things that I’m definitely going to do this year before another summer drifts by

+1 but make it 49

poey50
    Free Member

I did a long effortless one last night for the very first time. It was surprisingly easy once I got the wheel up and could go off jumps and even round berms. Then I woke up …. dammit. True story.

Stevelol
    Free Member

I’m also a member of the “I can only do manuals in my dreams (literally)” club.

Can anyone here manual like a boss but not actually (pedal) wheelie?

DaveyBoyWonder
    Free Member

I’d have been happier having 10 minutes practice on my Five rather than those little devil bikes.

DaRC_L

ubber_Buccaneer & rocketdog +1 a ‘hoick’s my limit

pipiom
    Free Member

Thought it was just me: ^ + 1 but make it 60

I will get there eventually

taxi25
    Free Member

I’ve been practising, I have this fantasy about pulling an effortless manual, past all the wheelie pulling young punks who loiter around outside my local fish and chip shop……….. it’s not going well 🙁

ads678

I can do small ones but not like they do on the videos. I’m determined to get it cracked before i’m 40 though. I’ve got just just over a month……….

ahwiles
    Free Member

if by ‘manual’, we mean: ‘through a puddle, and a bit longer on a really good day’, then yes.

it hurts to say this, but short chainstays do make them a lot easier.

Mbnut
    Free Member

Que

Bustaspoke
    Free Member

I must admit since last summer doing a manual has been something I’ve been trying & failing to learn..
    I’m 55 in July & I’ve given myself until my birthday to learn it,this bloke reversed the stem to make it easier,worked for him.
    If you see some middle aged bloke wobbling around Rivi with their stem reversed it’ll probably be me!
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3RGHQMCWCsc
    Quick question,what frame for manuals?

no_eyed_deer
    Free Member

I thought I was the only one recurringly and literally dreaming of ‘pulling effortless manuals’. Must be what MTBers do at night then!

M6TTF
    Free Member

No – keep meaning to stick some flats on the bike and take a few days to try it. I used to be able to wheelie on a bmx as a kid. alas the skill has stayed with that kid. Watching one of our riding buddy’s loft the front and coast along full tilt down from the forest is so friction awesome. I wanna!!

centralscrutinizer
    Free Member

I’ve progressed from heaving the front wheel over things to a half arsed version of the GMBN L shape technique, I’m scared of looping out though, so still limited to going over puddle’s for the time being. I’ll get there one day/year.

xherbivorex
    Free Member

since i flipped off the back right at the start of the night, i held back during the actual manualling session bit.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 78 total)

The topic ‘Who can do a "manual"?’ is closed to new replies.