Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 44 total)
  • white bar tape on your road bikes – pics and practicality ?
  • iainc

have recently got a new Defy which came with white tape. Looks nice but I can’t imagine it will for long. I do have white tape/saddle on my indoor track bike, but I imagine the UK roads are going to mean a retaping in black quite soon !

thoughts ? Pictures ?

Cheers

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Wipe with bleach to get it clean white

But yea, I’d go light blue to add some color (and get a matching saddle).

munrobiker
    Free Member

It’s a crime against humanity. Mine came with it and I’m glad it’s gone.

The-Beard

Fizik used to do a white tape that wasn’t cork and you could wipe clean, I had it on my road bike for years, it looked pretty good the whole time. Can’t remember what it was called unfortunately!

SaxonRider

I quite like the white saddle and bar tape. I would just try to keep the tape clean for as long as possible.

My saddle and part of my hand grips on my MTB are white, and they have done okay for the last 7 years. And I am thinking about changing from black to white on my road bike.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

I had white tape (free due to roadie bike snobs not wanting it) I can confirm it covered the bars and was comfortable. I don’t shave my legs so that might have something to do with it.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

My old Ridley commuter has white tape Iain, been on there for about 3 years and it’s still not bad looking tbh. If ye want it to stay white – keep a wee pair of disposable latex gloves for puncture duties, stops the hands getting black from brake dust/shite.

Edit – I would agree with some others though, black saddle and tape would suit that bike much better though.

mrblobby
    Free Member

Hmm looks like you’ve swapped the saddle for a white Adamo. That’d have to go if you changed the bar tape.

I’d go all black. White bar tape on that bike is a bit like wearing white socks with a dark suit.

JEngledow
    Free Member

I’ve recently ditched the white grubby grey tape for black and it looks so much better now

globalti
    Free Member

Sheeit! How far back is that saddle on its rails? Something’s badly wrong with the setup or the bike is the wrong size.

…and yes, I once bought a new bike that came with white tape and saddle so I got the retailer to swop them for black before I even took it out of the shop.

iainc

Hmm looks like you’ve swapped the saddle for a white Adamo. That’d have to go if you changed the bar tape.

I have a black one too 🙂

Sheeit! How far back is that saddle on its rails? Something’s badly wrong with the setup or the bike is the wrong size.

That’s the way ISM Adamo saddles go – you start with them 5-8 cm further back at the front compared to regular ones. The back 2-3 inches of it is never used

chakaping
    Free Member

I think mine works well ‘cos of the white accents on the frame…

This is my winter bike and keeping the tape clean has been zero effort at all TBH. I can’t remember what tape it is but the LBS knew it was for this bike and supplied something suitable.

You could just ride it and see of course.

😉

iainc

^^^ that does look good indeed. I think I will stick with it, bike is mainly summer use anyway..

djtom
    Free Member

My white bar tape was lovely and gleaming like an American TV star’s teeth until I rode the bike while wearing my winter mtb gloves. The ones with a whole winter of mud engrained in the palms.

The bar tape isn’t white any more.

TiRed

Well I like the white Fiz’ik logo’d on the Kona to match the Arione saddle. It is relatively clean (about the same as the saddle). I removed the soft white tape from several new bikes. it doesn’t really last past the first puncture. The white is to hilight the Kona logo. Your new bike doesn’t have any white to hilight. Silver to bring out the paint on the forks would work better.

Oh and keeping the pannier clean is just as bad!

cheeezzy24
    Free Member

MrSalmon
    Free Member

Don’t see the need for bar tape to be anything other than black myself, but if a bike came with it I wouldn’t change it specially. Stuff like that needs changing frequently enough.

iainc

the examples posted up, I like, as the white tape and saddle accentuate the frame. Can’t really see why Giant chose white on the new Defy tho 🙁

Never mind, it will stay until it’s looking tired, and then trusty Lizard Skins DSP black stuff will go on.

Cheers all

crashtestmonkey
    Free Member

rubberised/polyurethane tapes are easy to clean, as well as usually being quite tacky/grippy to the touch. My C’dale CX bike has it’s original white own-brand bar tape, and either spraying it with Muc Off as part of a post-race clean, or wiping with a baby wipe (also part of my CX kit box, and works on cork type tape) and it still looks like new after a season of racing.

oh, and

keep a wee pair of disposable latex gloves for puncture duties

this for mechanicals generally not just punctures. Not just for your immaculate bar tape but your nice Sunday best riding kit.

IMHO White bar tape is classy and ‘pro’ on any colour bike, and top marks for having a matching saddle (wrist slap for chapaking). Saddle looks very far back in it’s rails though?

iainc

cheers 🙂

Saddle looks very far back in it’s rails though?

partly the camera angle, but yes, it is right back on the marker limits. Bike is a medium and I had a bike fit on my previous Defy to get it right between the M and M/L, so I know this fits.

The weird thing about ISM saddles is you start off with the nose 5cm back from where the nose of the regular saddle would be, meaning that even with a layback post (mine has a little over 20mm), it still ends up pushed back. That said, the rear 5cm of the saddle is just for decoration, so the load goes down through the sit bones which are only halfway back.

MTB version for comparison :

and ‘gravel’

chakaping
    Free Member

top marks for having a matching saddle (wrist slap for chapaking).

You are right.

I had a white one but it made my bum hurt. This one was in the spares box.

You can’t see it when I’m riding.

avdave2

I’ve got white tape on my Defy and have found riding it in the rain very good for brightening up the bar tape. It’s not so good for keeping the white frame clean though!

pleaderwilliams
    Free Member

I have had white Fizik Performance tape on my winter road bike for the last 4,500km. It’s still white.

Bregante

Or

bikebouy
    Free Member

My TCX CX’er came with white bar tape… Like that was ever going to stay white for long 🙄

njee20
    Free Member

dles is you start off with the nose 5cm back from where the nose of the regular saddle would be, meaning that even with a layback post (mine has a little over 20mm), it still ends up pushed back. That said, the rear 5cm of the saddle is just for decoration, so the load goes down through the sit bones which are only halfway back.

But you’ve still got it pushed waaaaay back on the rails – looks like 5-10mm left. With a post with oodles of layback if what you say about ‘starting from 5cm back’ is right their design is shit, the rails should be much further forward in the saddle. That position would be unachievable for many.

stevious

Had white bar tape on my road bike for years. Looked rubbish after a winter.

cookeaa

I keep fitting white tape to my road bike, I don’t really mind it getting a bit grimey TBH.

Don’t fancy boring black but can’t really find any other colours that suit the bikes “colourway”…

Fitted some cheap snow camo effect tape to my CX bike as an emergency stop gap… It offends on every level, but its annoyingly comfy and hasn’t been damaged so I don’t have an legitimate excuse to replace it yet…

crashtestmonkey
    Free Member

Bikebouy I refer you to my previous post. Mine is mint after a full season of racing.

bikebouy
    Free Member

Nah, I changed it for a fetching Orange to match the graphics..

I do like white on road bikes, not that I’d ever fit it mind.

MrOvershoot

Yep it can get a bit grubby but a bit of a scrub up will get it almost white again, mine not looking very clean

rollindoughnut
    Free Member

Got bored of the usual white or black. As did the fella behind me it seems. 😀

julians
    Free Member

mine came with white tape.

Its still on, but its now a grey/brown colour

Teetosugars
    Free Member

I’ve got white tape on my old DeRosa.

nemesis
    Free Member

White deda carbon tape on my CX. Lasts ages and cleans up nicely. It’s not the most padded tape though.

WildHunter2009

White tape on my new defy as well. Frames white and black mind so it kinda works. Is already a wee bit grubby though so I suspect it will get replaced with black when it starts to wear.

How are you finding the new defy? I’m finding mine incredibly comfy but can’t quite get my position nailed yet, feels quite small in some ways. M/L frame and i’m 5,11 so theoretically bang on plus was fitted at the shop.

robgclarkson
    Free Member

i changed my bars recently and some cool kids on instagram had the above colour bar tape on their stigmata’s, so i copied… i think it look the business… just a shame i don’t really like the bars, i’ll swap back at some point, but i’ll be keep that colour bar tape for some time i think.

whatnobeer
    Free Member

It’s great when it’s still white, otherwise it looks pretty crap. This was my bike after the Fred Whitton. Not too pretty 🙁

mattbee

Robgclarkson that bar tape looks very nice on that bike.
    Bars look like it’s been in a horrific crash though…..

iainc

How are you finding the new defy? I’m finding mine incredibly comfy but can’t quite get my position nailed yet, feels quite small in some ways. M/L frame and i’m 5,11 so theoretically bang on plus was fitted at the shop.

Thanks, I’ve only had a couple of short rides on mine and love it. I am 5 10 with long torso and on a medium, with a 110 stem. I had a 2012 Defy Composite for past 4 years and geometry unchanged so I knew the size to get. In 2012 I had a bike fit and was originally going to buy the M/L but 10mm longer stem gave same effective top tube with better seat post setup. I have actually pushed the ISM saddle forward a bit on the back of some comments but yet to try it.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 44 total)

The topic ‘white bar tape on your road bikes – pics and practicality ?’ is closed to new replies.