Home Forums Bike Forum Which WPL oil is an alternatve for 0W30 Rockshox

Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)
  • Which WPL oil is an alternatve for 0W30 Rockshox
  • ollym
    Free Member

I’ve got a RockShox pike rc 2019, and RockShox recommends using 10ml of 0w30 oil in the lowers. However, I’ve been looking around and seen that WPL suspension fluid seems to be a great alternative as its environmentally friendly and specifically made for MTB suspension forks(TF tuned also sell it for lowers).
    Does anyone know what the equivalent alternative would be for RockShox lowers instead of recommended 0w30?
    Cheers.

benpinnick

Rs oil is just a lubricant, so anything fork lower lube will do. Worth remembering though all oils need proper disposal, which probably means the tip for most people so therefore your eco efforts can be pointless.

Id just use your spare engine oil if you have some and accept it’s better to use something you have and dispose of it properly than buy something new… That still needs disposing of properly.

ollym
    Free Member

Was wondering what the equivalent WPL oil is to 0w30, any ideas?

airvent
    Free Member

Probably the 2.5wt – RS used to specify 3wt for the lowers until they went to 0w-30. 0w-30 is a really thin engine oil so the lightest weight WPL i would say would be most suitable.

Honestly though if you have some engine oil sitting about just stick that in the lowers oil is just for lubrication.

bear-uk
    Free Member

I use 15w motor cycle fork oil in the lowers and 2.5 in the damper.

As said its only 10ml and its acting as a splash lubricant.

Fwiw I also put 5ml of 15w in the top of the air damper to lubricate top seal.

NewRetroTom

Do you mean air spring?

bear-uk
    Free Member

Yes but edit the oil to 5w not 15. Just about to do a 200 hour service on a mates fork and realised I put the wrong oil weight down.

Edit the oil will lubricate the sides below the tokens.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Less is more in the air spring. It will run down and reduce the negative spring volume. I usually put the recommended amount in, cycle it a few times, then cycle it a few times upside down to drain anything that’s not clinging to the surfaces. Some years RS just recommended grease rather than oil.

corkblork
    Free Member

120ml of 0w-30 for £4 (pre-order; it took 2 weeks for mine to arrive)

TF Tuned recommend/sell 20wt in lieu of 0w-30.

I think anywhere between 3wt – 20wt is good for the oil bath.

Pretty sure that Rockshox oil is a rebrand of this.

poah
    Free Member

just remember that one makes 5wt can be the same as others 2.5wt. look at the viscosity index rather than the wt number.

I run moterx supergliss 100K in all my forks (lower leg)

roach

Talking of lower leg service, do you guys change the foam seals everytime? Mine were a bit tricky to get back in after a clean.

airvent
    Free Member

I would change them, cheap as chips. You cant ever really clean them as thoroughly as you think so you might be putting dirt and grit right back where you dont want. You get one with the service kits anyway so why not change it?

roach

I’ll have to check the bits that came with the bike as not sure I had a service kit.

airvent
    Free Member

A service kit is something you buy, it doesnt come with the bike. Usually contains new foam rings, crush washers, lower leg oil, fork grease and probably new dust wipers. You should always change the crush washers if the fork has them, never re use them. If you’re buying just the oil you aren’t servicing the forks properly.

SirHC

I use the Motul 7.5wt in my lowers as recomended by JTech:
    Motul Factory Line Oils

roach

A service kit is something you buy, it doesnt come with the bike. Usually contains new foam rings, crush washers, lower leg oil, fork grease and probably new dust wipers. You should always change the crush washers if the fork has them, never re use them. If you’re buying just the oil you aren’t servicing the forks properly.

I bought the oil and grease but the youtube video I watched (think it was official SRAM one) just cleaned the foam rings in ipa and reused them.

I’ll have to order some rings then.

roach

There’s no crush washers on 2019 revs is there? Where do they go anyway?

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

TBH I’ve only replaced them when doing a big service with new wiper seals, never had an issue even though they’re obviously supposed to be single use.

There’s no crush washers on 2019 revs is there? Where do they go anyway?

They seal the bolt/lowers, without it you might get a dribble of oil coming past the threads.

They also provide a little bit of spring so that the torque of the bolt stops it unthreading. You don’t want to use threadlock on those bolts or you’ll never get them out again as the shaft would just spin!

They’re sometimes copper and just deform a bit to make a seal, others (including SRAM) are steel but cone shaped so they crush.

oreetmon
    Free Member

I lost a new crushwasher whilst servicing some boxxers the night before an uplift day.

Had no replacement available so I used a bit of plastic milk bottle cut to size and it worked fine, no sign of leaks so i just carried on with that method.

robo89
    Free Member

Why did rockshox change to 0w30 just for the sake of 10ml to lube the lowers, you can pick up a litre of Castrol magnetec 0w30 from Tesco’s for a £10, saves tracking down a specific brand and waiting for it to arrive, although I just usually squirt the rock oil I’ve already got in every bloody weight in there.

jmac
    Free Member

I’m doing a lower leg service on my Lyriks. Just realised I don’t have the 0 W30 fluid but do have some 15 WT. Reading the earlier replies it seems that the 15 WT be OK as it’s only 10 ml per leg for lubricating. Is that correct?

rickon
    Free Member

Talking of lower leg service, do you guys change the foam seals everytime? Mine were a bit tricky to get back in after a clean.

Don’t clean your foam rings in IPA, it makes them swell and you’ll have to throw them away or they’ll drag on the stanchions.

you can pick up a litre of Castrol magnetec 0w30 from Tesco’s for a £10

My experience is specifically Castrol Magnetec is awful as a lowers oil. It must be the additives, but it really makes the fork feel rough. I’ve been using Pukoline for a while now, and it’s very good stuff. I’m a big fan of changing the lowers oil frequently.

stanley

0W30 engine oil is nothing like suspension oil!!
    Buy the proper stuff if you like your forks.

Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)

The topic ‘Which WPL oil is an alternatve for 0W30 Rockshox’ is closed to new replies.