Viewing 26 posts - 1 through 26 (of 26 total)
  • Which Saddle
  • excitable1
    Free Member

I know it’s more a case of try & buy and each to their own etc, but anyone got any good recommendations of recent purchases of saddles for an 11.5st rider out on big long all day and techy trails.

I had Fizik Gobi’s for years and then bought a bike with a WTB Volt on it, but that just fell apart (online reviews suggests they do that a lot). I then went for an Ergon SME3 because I fell for the hype and the looks…. all I can say is DON’T… it’s a torture device ! Far too wide and presses up on yer bones from the off 😥 !!!

Tempted to go back to a Gobi because Wiggle have them for a good price. CRC have a WTB Silverado on offer too but the reviews talk about stitching coming undone and popping out their 😯 rails !!!

Wondered if there was the dogs b0110cks of comfortable saddles out there somewhere !!!

gatsby
    Free Member

Every arse is different, one man’s sofa is another man’s barbed-wire fence.

chestrockwell

I currently have the Ti + real leather version of the Charge Spoon. Comfiest saddle I’ve ever had and seems well made.

Word of caution though, I bought a Gobi after every review said it was the best EVER but never got on with the hateful thing. My Spoon is much better quality then my Gobi was.

JefWachowchow
    Free Member

I have, for a long time used WTB saddles on every bike, convinced that they are ‘my saddle’ and have been broken by lesser items in the past.

However, I bought a new fully built bike earlier this year and decided to give the fitted saddle a good chance. I normally build bikes from scratch to specify the saddle myself.

I have been really impressed with the saddle I am using. It is tiny compared to the fat arse weekend warrior WTB I am used to using but super compfy.

The saddle is ANVL and arrived on my TR Scout as standard. I will not be changing it any time soon, and will probably buy another once the WTB’s on my other bikes get knackered.

excitable1
    Free Member

Every arse is different, one man’s sofa is another man’s barbed-wire fence.

Yes this I know, but I’d say I’m pretty average. Just looking for some ideas to have a look round at… and I don’t mean arses 😳 !!!

ahwiles
    Free Member

my bum seems to enjoy spoons, scoops and bel-airs.

Evans are/were doing a thing where you can buy a saddle, and take it back if you don’t like it – for a refund against another saddle.

i tried a few that way – until settling on the sdg bel-air.

johnners
    Free Member

I bought a Gobi after every review said it was the best EVER but never got on with the hateful thing

Yeah, me too! Pricy mistake to make. I’ve yet to find a really comfy saddle, after a couple of hours they all begin to make their presence felt. I’m a good 30 pounds heavier than the OP but FWIW WTB lazer and SDG Bel Air are the least worst in my extensive collection. I don’t get on with Spoons at all.

chojin
    Free Member

Madison Flux = a comfier Charge Spoon.

I too seem to have a SDG bel-air, Charge Spoon, Madison Flux arse.

amedias
    Free Member

All reviews and advice on here can do is tell you the weight of a saddle, what it’s made of, and some degree of info on longevity, whether or not it is comfortable for you is not something a review or anyone* else’s experiences can really tell you.

*unless you have an identical arse-twin who’s opinion you trust.

rocketman
    Free Member

Have not had any problems with Spoons and Bel Airs they seem pretty safe. Prologo make some good saddles although they are kind of expensive. Have also got a Chromag Lynx which I hope to God never breaks because it is my all time favourite saddle of all time.

Local Spesh dealer will let you buy/try/return no probs

gatsby
    Free Member

Yes this I know, but I’d say I’m pretty average.

I wasn’t being flippant, there really is no such thing as “average” when it comes to saddle fit!

And a saddle that is comfy on one bike, might not be comfortable on another… I like SDG Bel Airs on mountain bikes. But I like Prologo 134mm on my road bikes. I like a Charge Spoon on my hybrid but I can’t use that on a mountain bike or a roadbike.

noltae
    Free Member

I feel that one should throw out preconceptions of brand preferences and purchase solely on shape , materials and overall bike fit – if you get it right it’s an awesome thing – I can trail ride all day without padded shorts and never feel sore .. Support > Padding .. I do always go for ti rails – I can’t say with confidence if they’re genuinely advantageous – SDG Fly ti is my perfect saddle .. So far ..

ransos
    Free Member

I wasn’t being flippant, there really is no such thing as “average” when it comes to saddle fit!

While that’s true, more people seem to recommend Spoons than any other saddle, and given the low price, it’s probably not a bad place to start. The only thing I don’t like about them is the external stitching makes lycra go bobbly.

crashtestmonkey
    Free Member

CRC have a WTB Silverado on offer too but the reviews talk about stitching coming undone and popping out their rails

been using WTB Silverados for years, got several on different bikes, my oldest Ti-railed one is starting to wear on the top from years of having grit and mud stained shorts grinding against it but otherwise never had any problem. As said in a similar thread, the Silverado has a similar shape to the Spoon but has a slightly more flexible shell and has cutaways at the perineal and sitbone pressure points.

In fact I have a Team Ti Anniversary (cream with blue/grey camo edges)in it’s original packaging as I have more saddles than bikes if you’re interested.

freeagent
    Free Member

Another Charge Spoon fanboi here – will be fitting one to my new bike as soon as it arrives.

gatsby
    Free Member

It’s generally easier on a mountain bike, Charge Spoons and SDG Bel Airs have a pronounced “hammock” which helps you sit in a consistent position. So if it fits your arse, you’re laughing.

I find WTBs are more of a solid perch and the shape/width just seems to cleave me in two!

I can pretty much look at a roadbike saddle and tell whether or not I’ll get on with it. I like narrow, flat (front to back) and rounded (side-to-side).

When I had a long, low and racy hardtail, I preferred saddles similar to my roadbikes – presumably because the position is more rotated.

pickle
    Free Member

Had a few WTBs and SDG Bel Airs and they’re all good for me.

ransos
    Free Member

When I had a long, low and racy hardtail, I preferred saddles similar to my roadbikes – presumably because the position is more rotated.

I use Spoons on the road and mtb bikes. I find that the Spoon gives a little discomfort on very long rides (say 8 hours+) but that’s pretty good going, I reckon.

jimslade
    Free Member

Another spoon fan. Got them on all my bikes, I’m quite a bit heavier than the op at 16 stones but I’ve never had a sore arse from all day rides over the moors etc.. I’d recommend the fabric covers over the leather though, the leather and faux leather ones tend to “grab” the seat of your shorts a bit so you have to shuffle about occasionally.

excitable1
    Free Member

Arse update for anyone who was concerned about my nether region !

Bought an SDG Bel Air 2.0 and rode it over the weekend… what a relief ! My arse is very grateful to the advice given on here !

Anyone want to buy an Ergon SME3 torture device 😆 ?

scandal42
    Free Member

Can anyone recommend a saddle that is similar to the On One Retard saddle they did?

Spoon doesn’t seem as comfortable to me.

squin
    Free Member

I’m roughly the same weight as you and am apx 5’11”.

I love WTB Rocket or Specialized Avatar 143 saddles. Tried Fizik in the past but they make my gentleman’s area go numb, so stick with the old favourites now.

onewheelgood

Anyone want to buy an Ergon SME3 torture device

A true salesman!

I also find Bel Airs comfortable, but I did a 120 mile ride on my Selle Italia SLR XC Flow this summer and survived.

jimw
    Free Member

I tried a few different ones but settled on Fizik Gobi XM. Never tried another since as they fit me well and I have had no problems after many hours on the bike but I do know of others who have ditched them after one ride and gone back to Bel Air’s or spoons

LordFelchamtheIII
    Free Member

I’m partial to a WTB Volt after suffering using a GOBI. But unfortunately, it’s a buy and try thing.

I tried WTB, SDG Fizik and Charge non of which seemed any good but the WTB is the best by far.

jaffejoffer
    Free Member

i got an SDG Circuit recently. so far so good plus i like the low profile skinny look too.

Viewing 26 posts - 1 through 26 (of 26 total)

The topic ‘Which Saddle’ is closed to new replies.