Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Rims for road bike wheelbuild?
  • djflexure

Going to build up some wheels for my 12 yr old Madone, replacing the Bonty x lites that came with it.
    I’m 14st, don’t race, just club rides over 60-100 miles @ 16-20mph average. Occasional TT when I go a bit faster. Its purely a summer ‘best’ bike.

My gut feeling is to go for 32 spoke build front and rear. Dura ace or DT240 hubs. Sapim CX ray spokes.

What rims though????? Looked at the light bicycle site – but £300 to import carbon rims? Just not sure, especially re the braking.

Alloy instead perhaps – what is good these days?

Could try tubs.

Advice and experiences appreciated.

geetee1972
    Free Member

I use carbon tubs currently, but they’re 60mm deep and probably not the best choice for an all round wheel. I’ve run them in a variety of conditions and to be honest while they are just fine 90% of the time, in strong cross winds they are a bit of a handful. Consequently I’ve got some 32mm Corima tubular carbon rims being built up for me at the moment.

A 50mm section rim would be more manageable as an every day rim. If you went clincher it won’t be all that light (for example the Strada offered November Bikes Rail built up with 20/24 spokes – CX Rays – come in at close to 1600g. Yes they are fast but they are relatively heavy. To give you something to comapre that to, my 60mm tubs weigh 1400g.

At 14 stone ou could probably get away with 24/28 spokes. Have you looked at something like a Pancetti SL23, which is a modern alloy rim. The Archetype used to be the go to choice but apparently, according to my trusted wheel builder (Strada) they have suffered with quality consistency issues that make it impossible to build a decent wheel when that issue arises.

I also have the Dura Ace hubs and I really like them. The ‘cup and cone’ set up is not really true cup and cone, it’s much much easier to maintain and adjust than that. They also have a titanium freehub which is more resistant to biting from the cassette.

If you did want to go carbon deep section then the Light Bicycle carbon rims get a very good reception here. You’ve also got the option of Corima from Strada in either 32mm or 45mm (tubular) and Wheelsmiths bring in 38mm, 50mm and 60mm Gigantex in both clincher and tubular (these are the ones i have), but they do put a weight limit of 85kg on them.

reggiegasket
    Free Member

you don’t need CX rays, IMO

have a word with a decent builder. PM me for the one I use if you want. He’ll be able to guide you.

TiRed

Mavic CXP33’s on Dura Ace hubs with Sapim Race spokes. Mine are 24/28 and, whilst not the lightest wheelset, they roll beautifully and are very stiff. They will be maintenance free too. Built by Harry Rowland with hubs supplied by me from Evans.

I have black spokes and nipples for a stealth look. And I have raced them. Today they completed Paris Roubaix on a clubmates bike. Genuine do it all wheels.

geetee1972
    Free Member

Need, that’s a good one, very funny.

Since when has anything related to our sport been about need?

CX Rays are stronger then Lasers but almost 100g lighter on a 32/32 build. You don’t need strong light wheels but they are more fun to ride.

hammyuk
    Free Member

Just priced up some Superstar ones – £189 for 1390grs!!!

djflexure

Cheers – plenty to think over.

May go Pacenti sl23

Thought I could get cheap spokes at Planet x but they are all too short so may look at alternatives.

drovercycles
    Free Member

Agree with the above, you don’t need 32 spokes for what you’ve described but then again it’s a pretty marginal weight gain if you do go for that number. Personally I’d suggest 28/24 as geetee1972 says. CX rays are nice, lighter and stronger and more aero…. but no, you don’t need them.

Pacenti SL23s would be our go-to rim for this sort of build, too.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘Rims for road bike wheelbuild?’ is closed to new replies.