Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • Which resort holiday (with a four year old)?
  • LimboJimbo

For years, when it was just Mrs LJ and I, our holidays simply involved booking time off work, chucking some camping gear in the car and mooching around Europe for a week or two. Then Junior came along and this was modified to chucking far more kit in the car and Eurocamping for a week or two.

This has been a pretty agreeable arrangement thus far, but as it involves me driving for two days straight, followed by a week of cooking, pot washing and same kind of jobs we do at home, we kind of fancy a bit more of a, well, holiday type holiday.

With the little guy now starting school in September, this may be the last chance for a bit, to go somewhere different without remortgaging, as we can travel in term time.

So, the criteria are; Half board or all inclusive, beach and pool, enough to keep a four year old entertained and bits to explore in the local area.

So STW, where have you been that fit’s the bill? Anywhere to avoid? Suggestions please!

jkomo

Mallorca!

johndoh
    Free Member

All inclusive all the way – no stressing over spilt drinks or dropped ice creams and lots to keep the young one entertained . Hopefully he’ll make some friends and give you time off.

We’ve done Ibiza and Majorca so far – thinking about Greece this year (two 7 yr olds).

hammerite
    Free Member

Agree with Mallorca. Lots of pool, beach, all inclusive, water park options. Plus it’s still possible to get up into the mountains easily. Jnr would love the train and tram trip to Soller. Palma is a lovely city for a wander round too.

johndoh
    Free Member

We stayed in Porto de Pollença – the mountain road over to Soller was wonderful.

chakaping
    Free Member

Mallorca is very nice, agreed. Menorca is really lovely too, it’s got a more tranquil feeling.

mogrim

Costa Brava is nice, lots to see too. The Algarve also has quite a few nice inland towns to visit. In both cases you’ll need a car, though.

Wherever you go make sure they have a kids’ club, it’s great when your 4 year old is someone else’s problem for the morning 🙂

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Neilson.
    Neilson.
    Neilson.

mrblobby
    Free Member

Neilson.
    Neilson.
    Neilson.

Already booked 🙂

grizedaleforest

Neilson +1

Sivota is my favourite. Now son is at school, can’t afford it, but fairly reasonable prices outside peak times.

dooosuk
    Free Member

We’ve headed to Menorca for the past two years. Both hotels been brilliant for both beaches and swimming pools.

Can’t beat Turtle and Octopus slides to keep the kids busy:

toemul
    Free Member

Yep cheap allinc torromolinos 10 mins from airport on the train water park and crocodile land 5 min taxi ride or 15 main walk Tivoli world another 10min on train and the cable car up mountain to watch the raptor show and also sea world type thing up that way in benalmadena. Together with a couple of nice meals out to break the alinc food up non of it will break the bank give it a go

dragon
    Free Member

If you like exploring then all inclusive seems like a bad idea to me. Just go somewhere cheap and eat out, far nicer to visit different places for food.

As an alternative to the Balerics, consider the Canaries also, but it depends what time of year you want to go really. Avoid the Costa del Sol yuk.

LimboJimbo

Thanks for the suggestions folks, I will take a look at Majorca, as it seems to be a favourite. Any tips for websites and booking? Is it more expensive going through the companies own websites or is there a better way of searching. I realised last night I haven’t booked a package holiday since 1999!

johndoh
    Free Member

I ended up just going with Thomsons as they were no more expensive that the usual web recommendations such as On The Beach.

But do look at Jet2 as well – they often have the same accommodation as Thomsons and a couple of the holidays I found there were significantly cheaper (although unfortunately none of the ones we chose).

hammerite
    Free Member

Onthebeach, Lowcostholidays, Easyjet holidays, Jet2 holidays, Thomas Cook, Thompson, Portland, Travel Republic are all worth a look. Or just do your own thing, book flights and find somewhere nice to stay.

We ended up in Majorca on an AI holiday a couple of years back. Granted it wasn’t the nicest of resorts (Palma Nova, it was easy to avoid the Magaluf element), beer was €1.50-2.50 in most places.

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

The topic ‘Which resort holiday (with a four year old)?’ is closed to new replies.