• This topic has 1,316 replies, 5 voices, and was last updated 4 years ago by DanW.
Viewing 40 posts - 1,001 through 1,040 (of 1,317 total)
  • Which power meter – Stages or Power2Max?
  • dirtygirlonabike
    Free Member

No, July is the ETA. Just wondered if it had been discussed. It looks pretty good, no faff between bikes albeit I’d need to change to speedplay pedals too, but my 2 concerns are around any teething issues once released (guess these will be fixable but with my power meter playing up im wanting one that just works!)…and what would happen if I happened to land on that part of my shoe in a crash.

DanW
    Free Member

Has the Brim Brothers speedplay power meter been covered in this chat? V tempted by it as my stages has been playing up recently.

Don’t think so, but I’m not a fan of the messy look, the pretty poor looking data DC Rainmaker experienced or need to recharge once a week/ fortnight depending on mileage (they quote the high processing power required by the device as the reason). I can’t find any info on the sensor type besides “not strain gauges” but it appears to some kind of pressure film rather than a *proper* force sensor, a bit like the insoles mentioned here before, which would explain the poor data quality. Basically it is too new, too expensive and the data doesn’t look anywhere near good enough for me to consider personally.

spxxky
    Free Member

Without trawling through every post here, has anybody mentioned these yet”

Powermeters

njee20
    Free Member

Yeah we did 4iii, several times, as their release plan changed! They look good, they were a fantastic prospect when they were self install, IMO they’re less appealing when it’s left only (albeit right following now) and you have to send your cranks to the US for installation.

They got some weird electronics firm as UK distributor (nothing to do with cycling), which seemed like madness.

Still looks a good option though – DCR seems impressed.

barrykellett
    Free Member

My 4th XT Stages crank, 3rd warranty replacement, is again eating batteries. Only had it back since february. Fabulous. Gen2 improvements? The old ones lasted longer.

spxxky
    Free Member

My 4th XT Stages crank, 3rd warranty replacement, is again eating batteries. Only had it back since february

Just as a matter of interest, is there a time limit on Stages being warrantied? I’ve had mine two years and had a cover kit sent to me after 11 months because it was eating batteries… firmware upgraded etc. and still does it, esp if I leave batteries in whilst in the garage… I now take the battery out after each use

njee20
    Free Member

They have a one year warranty, but it would be brand suicide if they stopped supporting customers after a year!

EU entitles you to a bit more anyway doesn’t it, and then they’d have to prove they’d lasted a reasonable time, which I don’t think <2 years is.

mtbtomo
    Free Member

I’ve had a G2 (the 4th or 5th warranty replacement on a G1, I’ve lost count) since January and I’ve replaced the battery just now for the 3rd time. Probably 2-3 months out of the first battery, a few weeks out of the next and now we shall see if it just degrades again like the G1.

We’ll see. I think the battery covers and o-rings are just too flimsy to remove after every ride and not get worn out super quickly. You just shouldn’t have to either.

dirtyrider
    Free Member

Vector 2s one sided showing as 474 after platinum discount at wiggle

njee20
    Free Member

That is good. £511 on Rose Bikes if you don’t have platinum discount.

dirtyrider
    Free Member

njee20
    Free Member

£791 for the full fat version seems very good!

mtbtomo
    Free Member

Seems my G2 Stages battery door wrecks the o-ring every time I change the battery.

When I come to change the battery, the o-ring seal seems to have been stretched and pops out of the seal groove and will then not fit back as it is too big.

Its happened 3 times now, both when I’ve used a little silicon grease to ease the door closing and also when I haven’t.

Oh and I’m currently down to about a week between battery changes.

Aggghhhh!!!!

gazhurst
    Free Member

Doesn’t really seem worthy of a new thread when the relevant audience are likely all on this thread… First Connect IQ app that could actually be interesting, prob gonna give it a go tomorrow – I’m intrigued by what it’s offering. I like the idea of medals whilst I ride!

Nick, how did/do you find this? Any good? Does it work?

bob_summers

Weird how some Stages are better than others. My g2 warranty replacement (replaced a g1) has been good, I’d even consider another when I get rid of the fsa crank (I hate hate hate megaexo). Battery life is not phenomenal but acceptable, I sometimes get signal dropouts when on the turbo, but curiously not on the road.

dirtyrider
    Free Member

Vector 2s one sided showing as 474 after platinum discount at wiggle

wiggle just upped the platinum discount to 17% until may 30th, now £456

dirtyrider
    Free Member

makes Pioneer Ultegra £414 to

DanW
    Free Member

makes Pioneer Ultegra £414 too

oof, nice

mrblobby
    Free Member

4iii now on sale at probikekit. £349 for 105 single sided.

http://www.probikekit.co.uk/brands/4iiii.list

mtbtomo
    Free Member

I’ve just gone for a Pioneer single side in anticipation of the Stages failing again.

Thought about the 4iii but the Pioneer is IPX6 and IPX7 rated so its good for immersion up to 1m and water jet spray. Don’t know what claims Stages or 4iii make on their units.

The only potential pain, is that it looks like you have to stick a magnet to your chainstay with the Pioneer.

njee20
    Free Member

Don’t think you do anymore do you? Thought they did away with it. Would quite like something on the MTB, so i can quantify my mediocrity on whichever bike I’m on!

mtbtomo
    Free Member

I need to read the instructions in the box a bit more closely maybe 😉 but there are some other bits in the box other than just a crank arm…

OmarLittle
    Free Member

Is it normal to have the power numbers on Strava to be considerably lower than on Garmin Connect or Training Peaks?

My average power is usually about 30-40 watts less than is recorded elsewhere using the same data (Likewise weighted average compared to normalised) and segment power seems down on what i expect it should be. Not a big deal but as the figures are public i’d prefer it to be inflated rather than deflated 😀

IanMunro
    Free Member

Don’t know, but off the top of my head could it be strava counts zero in the averaging and others don’t?
    I.e. is it average power while moving vs. average power while pedalling?

OmarLittle
    Free Member

The others record zeros too but perhaps strava counts it differently

mrblobby
    Free Member

Weird. Strava and TrainingPeaks say the same for me. NP tends to read a few watts higher than the Strava Weighted Power, but average is the same. Do you have auto-pause on? May be something to do with that if you stop a lot.

mtbtomo
    Free Member

Yep, pioneer comes with magnet for the chainstays.

njee20
    Free Member

Probably get nailed for import/VAT, but Vector 2s are $800 here using REIMEMBER2016 (once you pay $20 to join) or $480 for the 2Ss.

mrblobby
    Free Member

Just got a Platinum 16% discount code for PBK, brings the 105 4iiii down to 290 quid 8)

njee20
    Free Member

By the time they release something LIMITS is going to appear positively extortionate at this rate!

adsh
    Free Member

Pity the unit appears to be crank specific.

mrblobby
    Free Member

4iiii? Yes, they seem to be selling them in the UK like a Stages at the moment, with either a 105 or Ultegra LH crank arm. Seem to recall them having some issue with shipping the glue to DIY.

njee20
    Free Member

Yep, they’re still only doing factory installations, and have recently started selling pre-fitted cranks, which makes sense as it enables their output to grow and allows a proper distribution model.

Seems a shame, as it was a very promising product which is less appealing (IMO) as LH only on certain cranks.

mrblobby
    Free Member

Seems a shame, as it was a very promising product which is less appealing (IMO) as LH only on certain cranks.

Agreed. If I didn’t care about dual sided and was considering a Stages, a 4iiii being about 150 quid cheaper would get my attention!

DanW
    Free Member

By the time they release something LIMITS is going to appear positively extortionate at this rate!

The cyborgs will have taken over by the time LIMITS produce anything to sell! 😆

njee20
    Free Member

The cyborgs will have taken over by the time LIMITS produce anything to sell!

😆

I resisted the urge to say something along those lines! I see as of Tuesday they have 50 units ready to ship, although they’re now doing some testing on them 😕

bob_summers

Anyone using Stages with a Garmin 520?
    My 500 used to offer to calibrate the Stages when it detected it before each ride. The 520 doesn’t and I have to delve into the menus (which I ultimately don’t). Does calibration even matter that much?

DanW
    Free Member

I don’t think anyone really bothers calibrating that often. I did it once a week at best or once every couple of months at worst and the calibration value always came out within 1 unit, even in the hottest days of summer and coldest days of winter (as far as I can tell temperature differences are one of the main reasons to calibrate). I got in to the habit of calibrating before every 20 minute test but even that dropped off 😳

njee20
    Free Member

I got lazy with calibrating my Powertap, and eventually the data was total shit! I thought I was just getting fitter, but it got a bit daft, and the trouble then was that I had no idea how much of the data was total rubbish.

Try and calibrate my P1s every ride now!

Viewing 40 posts - 1,001 through 1,040 (of 1,317 total)

The topic ‘Which power meter – Stages or Power2Max?’ is closed to new replies.