• This topic has 24 replies, 17 voices, and was last updated 8 years ago by Dibbs.
Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)
  • Which Mechanical disc brake?
  • teadrinker
    Free Member

Looking for new Mechanical disc brakes. I think I’m going for the TRP Spyre 160 front and 140 rear for my new adveture/gravel bike.

Any reason not to or other recommendations that I may have missed. They’ll be going with Ultegra shifters. Thanks

nemesis
    Free Member

I’m certainly very happy with mine on my CX (campag levers & cross top levers).

cynic-al
    Free Member

Been V happy with BB7 and 105.

andylc
    Free Member

Why would you get mechanical discs now there are good hydraulic options for all bikes??

teadrinker
    Free Member

simplicity and cost of it all really andy. Plus I’ve got a set Ultegra Shifters and I don’t want to change them 🙂

TurnerGuy
    Free Member

Why would you get mechanical discs now there are good hydraulic options for all bikes??

because they are reliable, fixable, and sufficient, and you don’t get rubbing from sticky pistons, which my XTs have been doing recently but my BB7s, which were just as good, never did.

nemesis
    Free Member

And also campag aren’t doing (hydro) discs yet.

And you can’t run crosstop brake levers with hydros.

jambalaya
    Free Member

Just get some Deore’s. They are so cheap it’s not work persisting with the cable brakes.

simondbarnes

Maybe because Shimano hydraulic shifters / brakes are £500 a pair? Plus the expense of switching to 11spd if you’re not already running it.

I ran Spyres for a fair while on my cross bike and they were excellent. Am now running Shimano RS685s which are even better but ££££

simondbarnes

Just get some Deore’s. They are so cheap it’s not work persisting with the cable brakes.

I must have missed the launch of deore road brakes / shifters.

jaffejoffer
    Free Member

Ive got a brand new set of TRP Spyke’s that were swiftly removed from my Caribou when i got it. can have em for nowt.

cp

tricky to use with

I’ve got a set Ultegra Shifters

cp

160 front and 140 rear

I’d go for 160 rear as well. 140 fine for CX racing, bit on the small side IMO for general use.

simondbarnes

Ive got a brand new set of TRP Spyke’s that were swiftly removed from my Caribou when i got it. can have em for nowt.

The OP is using road shifters, those are designed for mtb levers.

boblo
    Free Member

How do you marry Deore’s to Ultegra STI’s?

I have both Spyres and BB7’s. I think the Spyres are a little more stylish but there’s not much difference in braking. The Spyres are slightly easier to set up but again, there’s not much in it.

You can often pick up BNIB or VGC preloved kit on the classifieds for around half RRP.

Sanny
    Free Member

Jaffejoffer

How much for the Spykes?

E mail in profile.

Cheers

Sanny

jaffejoffer
    Free Member

username not clickable?

ben98
    Free Member

I’ve got the spykes on my MTB and I love them, if I got a drop bar bike with discs I’d have spyres.

takisawa2

BB5’s & 7″s here. Work fine.
    The 7’s have more power though. Only downside is the look tatty quickly, as they’re painted.
    I’m sure they did a polished version.

kcal

username not clickable?

Member bit is though and that’ll give you dr. shoe’s email addy…

Sanny
    Free Member

Jaffejoffer

Sannyatsingletrackworlddotcom

😀

stumpy_m4
    Free Member

ive got 105 and BB7 sl on one bike and tektro and hayes cx pro on the other bike , both work great 🙂

teadrinker
    Free Member

Jaffejoffer if you still have the spykes please let me know, or if anyone does for that matter please let me know if they want to sell them on. Thanks

Dibbs
    Free Member

My CX bike came with BB7’s, I changed to TRP HyRd’s and then R685’s.
    The 685’s have needed less maintenance by a huge margin (just change the pads and get out riding again).
    The BB7’s and the TRP’s needed regular tweaking as the pads wore.
    The power and modulation is better with the 685’s too.

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)

The topic ‘Which Mechanical disc brake?’ is closed to new replies.