Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 47 total)
  • Which mask to buy for when business travel resumes?
  • johnhe

I live in the UK but work for a French company. So when the quarantine requirement gets dropped, I’m expecting to re-start travelling to France, at least occasionally. My understanding is that a mask is obligatory on flights and in airports.

I’ve just had a look on amazon, and every single mask I clicked on had horrible reviews. Obviously, taking one of my cycling Buffs is an option. But if I want to buy a couple of washable, reusable masks, can anyone recommend one?

iainc

Buff for me, being a specs wearer the ones with ear elastics are rather annoying to wear

FuzzyWuzzy

The Adidas ones are supposed to be pretty good, depends if you want a logo or not on your mask.

oldtennisshoes

Mrs OTS has made is some using double layers of buff material with elastic ear loops.

eddiebaby
    Free Member

I’m currently delighting Tesco and the Polish supermarket with my Opeth “from a distance I thought that was a vagina’ mask.

johndoh
    Free Member

Buff for me, being a specs wearer the ones with ear elastics are rather annoying to wea

I wear specs and my mother-in-law made us all some that have two elastic loops, one that goes around the nape of your neck, the other across the back of the skull (ie, nothing hooking onto your ears). It also has a pocket in the side which you slide a filter in (coffee filters work fine apparently) so the mask itself can be washed and re-used.

Kinda like this

dudeofdoom

I’m waiting for some of the Planet X ones as I like the sheep and the bbqing kangaroo.

I’ll be using them in mostly riding in Spain, I was hoping a buff would do something.

eyestwice
    Free Member

These guys, although new orders aren’t due to be shipped until August:

https://cambridgemask.com/

benjamins11
    Free Member

JSP Force 8 is what the cool kids are wearing.

benjamins11
    Free Member

JSP force 8 is what the cool kids are wearing this seaseon.

jaminb
    Free Member

I was going to post this exact same thread as lock down now appears to be well and truly over (without the science to justify?)

Anyone have any experience of these?

The People's Cycling Mask

Is 95% sufficient given most people are using rags? thanks

igm

Because a STW thread isn’t the same without PlanetX

https://www.planetx.co.uk/s?q=Mask

Edit: too slow

Creg

My mum and her next door neighbour are making them and have a shop on Etsy:

https://www.etsy.com/uk/shop/FourshoreStudios

Onzadog
    Free Member

Jinks

Masks

These are the ones I’ve stocked up on. Pocket for a filter (both of which can be washed) and a built in nose shape adjuster thing. Adjusted with a toggle rather than elastic which makes them more comfortable for longer. I’ve got some plain black. The inside material is a different colour so you don’t try to put it back on with the contaminated side facing in.

n0b0dy0ftheg0at
    Free Member

PX skull and crossbones, Tour Of Flanders and the sheep ones ftw (they missed a trick with the red polka dot one by not turning the dots into Coronavirus spikes). 😆

Will public transport accept buff-alikes as masks?

WorldClassAccident
    Free Member

Personalised so it works in video conferences and you don’t catch a computer virus

TheBrick
    Free Member

An old bra, just make sure you use the left cup.

Onzadog
    Free Member

My left, or your left?

unclezaskar
    Free Member

works really well with a cape to keep the rain off as well….

dpfr

@Creg

I’ve ordered some from your mum too. They look a bit different.

ElShalimo

If you like sleeping bags….. Snugpak are now making them (only £4 each).

https://www.snugpak.com/outdoor/snugpak-ranges/snugpak-face-cover-range

Cougar

An old bra, just make sure you use the left cup.

Presumably to avoid looking like a right tit?

yourguitarhero
    Free Member

househusband

I’ve realised that I’ve bought the ones @Onzadog mentioned, not the ones that @Creg mentioned…

lewzz10
    Free Member

Christ, I hope some of these suggestions are just to permit you to travel/visit in places that require a mask. I hope no one thinks pulling a Buff over their mouth is going to do anything much!

If you’re serious about preventing yourself from spreading a possible unidentified infection (good on you) try and find an N95 mask through a legitimate supplier, or something else that’s been proven through testing to limit the spread of viral infections (N95 are in critical supply).

One reason we’re not mandated to wear a mask everywhere, is that most would end up wearing some up-cycled tights, yet the false sense of security, corresponding lack of social distancing (and little-to-no protection) would likely just lead to an increase in avoidable infection. Even an N95 mask isn’t very effective without proper procedure (don’t adjust it, remove it to have a drink, single use etc!).

There’s tonnes of peer-reviewed research out there on this, but for reference an N95 mask can be 95-99% effective when used correctly, whereas homemade masks can be at 5% or even lower. https://pubs.acs.org/doi/abs/10.1021/acsnano.0c03252

If you simply want something to allow you access to a mask-only area, get something cheap and comfortable and practise social distancing.

TheBrick
    Free Member

Presumably to avoid looking like a right tit?

😂👏👏

johndoh
    Free Member

Christ, I hope some of these suggestions are just to permit you to travel/visit in places that require a mask. I hope no one thinks pulling a Buff over their mouth is going to do anything much!

dudeofdoom

Now those people’s Cycling masks….

That exhalation valve, if that’s like My Respro I’m not sure it’s filtered 🙁

alpin
    Free Member

Here in Germany we’re required to wear a mask in all shops, including shopping centres, and on public transport.

A scarf, a buff or basically any covering over the mouth and nose suffices.

Mostly placebo, imo, and have written that word on one of the fabric paper marks (mate in China sent us 100 masks). I chuck the masks in the wash, too.

Strangely you don’t need a mask if sitting in a restaurant or church but you do need one elsewhere.

bigyan
    Free Member

Surely its the excuse you have all been waiting for to crack out the military surplus!

benjamins11
    Free Member

Bane Mask

I think this would be a good look.

FuzzyWuzzy

If you’re serious about preventing yourself from spreading a possible unidentified infection (good on you) try and find an N95 mask through a legitimate supplier, or something else that’s been proven through testing to limit the spread of viral infections (N95 are in critical supply)

There’s a reason (besides shortages and prioritising healthcare workers) that no one’s recommending N-95 or FFP-3 masks for general use by the public and that’s because the wearing of masks (in daily life) isn’t to try and halt transmission but just to reduce it in order to limit the increase to the R number that will result from restrictions being lifted. In a similar way 2m distancing was a compromise, 10m would have been more effective but highly impractical – as is the wearing of a N-95/FFP-3 mask which can noticeably restrict breathing.

Yes there’s a danger people that get their medical knowledge/advice from Facebook may think a thin cotton mask provides immunity but that’s a large part of why the government didn’t mandate mask wearing during early lock down and is now only just advising their use in most situations – with a lot of accompanying warnings about using them correctly.

Jamze

I bought a box of 50 of the 3-ply loop-ear masks from Boots online. Use them for visits to the doc and dentist so far. Seem fine. Have the wire so you can get a decent fit on the bridge of your nose if you wear glasses.

Have a few cheap cycling buffs too I’ve used.

Creg

I’ve ordered some from your mum too. They look a bit different.

Thanks, she’s just started making the ones for your order (they are made to order). Should be in the post on Wednesday.

I’ve realised that I’ve bought the ones @Onzadog mentioned, not the ones that @Creg mentioned…

😆 no worries

squirrelking
    Free Member

TBH I’m with lewzz10, the filtration is going to be nigh on non-existent. If you can comfortably wear it for extended periods then it has next to zero value. I’d imagine those N95 masks will require a proper face fit test as well to be of any use (I was surprised a while back when I had to attend a face fit test for the disposable masks “we” use at work).

Surely its the excuse you have all been waiting for to crack out the military surplus bedroom attire!

FTFY.

funkmasterp

I love Reg Mombasa so I’ve ordered a couple of the Planet X ones. Worth it just for his designs. I need to plan on going somewhere now so that I can wear them!

dpfr

@Creg

The masks have arrived. Look good and seem well made and comfortable. Please say thank you to her

https://www.etsy.com/uk/shop/FourshoreStudios highly recommended

breatheeasy
    Free Member

Businees meeting? Surely you want a silk one that doubles as a pocket square too

2-in-1 silk mask

Charles Tyrwitt masks

Leigh
    Free Member

http://www.Ellmoreclothing.com

From a cycling kit supplier

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 47 total)

The topic ‘Which mask to buy for when business travel resumes?’ is closed to new replies.