Viewing 26 posts - 1 through 26 (of 26 total)
  • Which helmet?
  • scottyjohn
    Free Member

So finally started getting out on my bike again, first time in two years that I havent had the kids trailer attached, and it felt great 😀

I have a Giro Xen black helmet, but I realised that its actually 10 years old, and has had three replacement pad sets over its time. Im assuming if it was actually needed, it wouldnt stand up to much, so Im thinking I should get something new. Im a large size, and the xen felt good because it sat quite low and didnt look like a noddy cap!
    What are the best replacements out there now? Lost touch with it all a bit

discoduck
    Free Member

Giro still doing some great helmets and their styles as have many others changed to suit.

I’ve just replaced my Xen with a Bell Super, it’s the comfiest helmet I’ve ever worn, the Troy Lee A1 helmets were 50% off recently making that a great buy.

Then there’s the POC ones and many others, helmets have changed quiet a bit in a decade !

speckledbob
    Free Member

I believe everybody is wearing one of these now.

z1ppy

As per Discoduck, I replaced my aging (& 2nd) Xen with a Bell Super, like it a lot & it sit really low/fits really well (surprisingly even better than the Xen). Though lots of other similar helmets have been released since such as the IXS Trail RS, Bluegrass Goldeneye, t(he extrememly IMO FUGLY) Troy Lee Designs A1 and Catlike leaf. I didn’t go for another Giro, as the XAR bizarrely simply didn’t fit my head & wasn’t happy with the Feature or Hex. As always the fit, is more important than anyone else’s opinion.

coogan
    Free Member

Liking my iXS Trail RS. That is all.

scottyjohn
    Free Member

Im liking the Bell one mentioned! I can’t find where to be able to try one though, anyone seen one in the Glasgow area?

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Coogan +1. Like how it sits down and cradles round your head, as opposed to some that perch on top. Excellent ratchet system too.

bullandbladder
    Free Member

Another Bell Super, ex Xen user here. Super is comfy with good coverage, if a little warmer than the old Xen.
    FWIW, if they still made the Xen I’d never have bothered to even try anything else on.

ssbnreso
    Free Member

I’ve got one if these:

http://www.on-one.co.uk/i/q/HEOOTSH/on-one-trail-sport-helmet

Large head, fits well!

vincienup
    Free Member

I have a Giro Feature, Giro Hex and THE 1 composite depending what is appropriate…

Best advice is to go see some in shops and have a play.

You may find that size differs from what you expect …

wonderchump
    Free Member

Bell Super

discoduck
    Free Member

That’s it then, all you need to do now is pick the colour, if it helps the blue one matches the HOWIES Turkish Blue jacket, or so I’ve been told, ahem….

monkeyboyjc

what helmet? one that fits….. try before you buy

hambl90
    Free Member

I had a xen and changed it for an ixs trail rs which was very comfortable but felt that the peak was too low limiting my vision so changed it for a troylee a1 , good price on crc and I’m very happy with it .

Northwind

I replaced a Xen with a Fox Striker- really good helmet, lightweight and well made. Smashed that a little bit so got another, tried on loads but nothing else felt as right.

Fit is everything really…

burko73

I just bought a new helmet after trying loads of the above. Went with a fox striker in the end. Great helmet, fits well and quite light but looks good as well. Quite fancied the bell super but heavier and hotter so no good in this heat!

reedspeed
    Free Member

Poc job done !.

lobby_dosser
    Free Member

I was same as you a couple of weeks ago scotty- I tried a few helmets on giro, cat like, poc etc and I ended up buying a troy lee. Feels really secure on your head and has quite a low profile, so doesn’t feel too bulky.

Its a wee bit warm though.

andypandy85
    Free Member

Bell Super all the way! Had a hard crash straight onto my head the other day (landed on a rock) not a mark on it. My pal had a similar crash with a TLD A1 and wrote it off…

Brake-neck
    Free Member

Using one of these for the last 4 months, great lid.
    Met Parabellum

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

Just recently bought a Catlike Leaf, best helmet Ive ever had in terms of fit, weight, quality etc.

Relatively cheap too at £50. I guess they are not big in the mtb market so cant charge the silly prices Giro do for inferior stuff

piedidiformaggio
    Free Member

Just to add something predictable….

I went from Giro Xen to Bell Super about 5 weeks ago. very happy with it too

lobby_dosser
    Free Member

Bell Super all the way! Had a hard crash straight onto my head the other day (landed on a rock) not a mark on it. My pal had a similar crash with a TLD A1 and wrote it off…

Did you not write off or get a crash replacement for yours? If it was a hard hit you should replace.

jamesgarbett
    Free Member

Giro helmets always make me look like a mushroom

hora
    Free Member

Giro helmets always make me look like a mushroom

+1

mikewsmith
    Free Member

a Fox Striker- really good helmet, lightweight and well made. Smashed that a little bit so got another, tried on loads but nothing else felt as right.

Yep though it lasted a month before being retired due to crashing. Last one in the shop though so I now have the bell super which I’m about to take a stanley knife to so that it fits my ears.

Viewing 26 posts - 1 through 26 (of 26 total)

The topic ‘Which helmet?’ is closed to new replies.