Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)
  • Which GPS watch for running and cycling?
  • nickc

iphone GPS is getting flakier, so looking to get a watch that’ll do both running and cycling functions (I really just need it to record a GPS track, as I’ll transfer the data to Strava anyhoo). Mostly settled on Garmin FR220, are there any others I should be looking at?

bongohoohaa
    Free Member

910XT might be worth a punt depending on budget.

Only £15 more than the FR220, non-HRM admittedly, on Amazon at the mo.

rob2
    Free Member

Garmin fenix3 ? A bit overkill but really good. £320 with hrm from winstanleys. Maybe a bit over budget but did I say they were good?!

tinribz
    Free Member

Anyone tried the Sony Smartwatch?

Mackem

The new Garmin Vivoactive looks nice, buy one and tell us if it’s any good.

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/garmin-vivoactive/rp-prod132102?gs=1&gclid=CP6i-vPMgsUCFUHmwgodkE8AOA&gclsrc=aw.ds

captaindanger

I have the cheapest harming which is pretty useless as it only successfully gets a satellite link about 50% of the time I use it. Get one with a big sensor.

euans2
    Free Member

Also have a look at the Suunto Ambit 3 or the 2 if you’re not interested in the wifi. Battery life is great, it does second tacking, has multi sports, picks up satallites no problem at all and uploads to Strava as soon as you upload to Movescount. Like the Fenix, it may be a bit overkill but it is a cracking bit of kit

http://www.suunto.com/ambit3/

mcnultycop

My Forerunner 410 does the job.

chunkymonkey
    Free Member

Got an “all but new” Polar M400 you can have for £80. The other half bought me a GPS golf watch which does all I need. Email in profile if you want more details.

Tracey

Abigale has the new Garmin Vivoactive. She has had it for a month. Bought it when it was on offer at Start Fitness and then used a voucher code. She uses it everyday for running or biking. She really rates it.

jimification
    Free Member

I’ve been using a Suunto Ambit 3 peak for 6 months (running,biking and as a watch). I love it. Accurate GPS, very reliable and very good battery life. It even works well for navigating a preset route (though obviously a bike mounted GPS with large map display is much better)

The-Beard

I have the Ambit 2 and use it for all oytdoor sports. Cracking bit of kit. The battery life is great. Done multi day trips no problem. Is massive though!

czthompson

I’ve got the Sony Smartwatch 3, and I have to say it’s fab. I’ve got the Sony Z3 (having previously been an apple fan) and seriously wouldn’t go back.

I managed to pick my watch up for £110 off of amazon, it stores about 2gigs of music that you can listen to via bluetooth headphones and does the GPS perfectly. Battery lasts 2 days and now when I don’t wear it I look a bit strange looking at my wrist when the phone makes a noise..

Flaperon

I love my Fenix 3. Battery lasts weeks, not days, and the recovery tool is really handy. Have used the map feature to get home on several occasions when abroad and running aimlessly.

superfli
    Free Member

Carrying a phone around whilst running isnt ideal, thats why I got a FR310 a while back (had a 305 until I lost it). Its excellent and was only £100 or so on amazon.

Dibbs
    Free Member

I’ve had a Vivoactive for about a month now and I’m pretty impressed with it (none of the usual Garmin new device gremlins) haven’t used it on the bike though as I have an Edge 810.

geoffj

Garmin FR15 here which has HRM capability and step counting. It doesn’t allow you to choose cycling as an activity though – for cycling based estimates or calories etc.

I really just need it to record a GPS track, as I’ll transfer the data to Strava anyhoo

The cheapest Garmin FR10 will do that painlessly.

I want a Fenix 3 though 8)

dobo
    Free Member

using a FR620, im not recommending it though.
    it has a bike, run and race mode and the best feature is the ability to automatically upload wireless to the garmin and strava site, by the time i pick my phone up to check its uploaded and notified me its done. this really is a great feature, no more manual uploads.

the buttons are massive and no lock screen, garmin you are useless sometimes. the lack of lock makes this watch useless for trail runs, parkour, free running, ocr, ninja warrior etc.
    the screen whilst color is very poor and pointless. the fr210 has a superior black/white screen.
    as a pure running watch though its good and records cycle routes just fine and locks in quick.

rocco

I use a garmin 310xt for both running and cycling, does everything I need for running and seems to always get a quick satellite fix.

geoffj

The only thing that I would add, is that Garmin is really losing the plot IMHO with their connect website and associated services.

I’ve not been able to view some previous days steps totals on some occasions – well known issue with little in the way of fixes.
    Some links from pages on the site don’t work; and
    I wasted too much time trying to re-register a Vivoactive (wife to son) last weekend due to server errors.

I do like their hard wear, but the software side of things isn’t great at the moment.

gra

I’ve been using a Suunto Ambit 3 peak for 6 months (running,biking and as a watch). I love it. Accurate GPS, very reliable and very good battery life. It even works well for navigating a preset route (though obviously a bike mounted GPS with large map display is much better)

Rather than starting a new thread, was after specific information on this – is it good under trees etc. Most reviews focus on cycling in the open.

Also is anyone using the Polar v800? If so same question.

I’ve been looking at both these units, might go down to which one doesn’t look as silly on my skinny wrists!

asdfhjkl
    Free Member

I’ve got a Polar M400 with HRM. Great device, battery alright, GPS is excellent (even in the aids). I’d recommend Polar were it not for lack of third party connectivity. Is automatically exporting to Strava,etc too much to ask?!

santacruzsi
    Free Member

Suunto Ambit here too; use it for everything, running, riding, snowboarding, climbing and mountaineering. Battery lasts for ages (can charge it up via USB) and its simple to use.

Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)

The topic ‘Which GPS watch for running and cycling?’ is closed to new replies.