Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Which GPS do I need?
  • tish
    Free Member

I’m looking to get a gps but after reading review after review I’m going round in circles.
    I want it so I can download a route for wherever and just follow it. I’ve got viewranger on my phone but it’s a pain keep stopping to get my phone out and I don’t want to mount my phone on the bars.
    Basically I just want something I can stick on the bars like viewranger and just follow, I don’t need all the bells and whistles (HRM, cadence etc) but want decent maps.
    Any suggestions?

kayak23

I had pretty much your requirements too. I was going to get the Garmin 820 but actually still haven’t got any device yet.

Have a look at the thread I started too here…

tish
    Free Member

Thanks kayak I’ll have a read of that.

nickjb
    Free Member

If you are already using viewranger what about a smart watch? The latest version of viewranger pops a map on the watch screen. Wear it as a watch or mount it to the bars. I’ve just picked up a cheap 2nd hand watch to try this out

tish
    Free Member

I didn’t think about a smart watch, I’m edging towards an Etrex at the moment.

whitestone
    Free Member

Generally with Garmin GPS devices the Edge series are for road/training with all the willy waving data sensors and the Etrex/Dakota/Oregon/Montana devices are the generic ones. There’s some crossover but as a general idea it’s not far off.

I’ve an Edge 510 for road riding – no maps, can pair with various sensors, it’s fine when I know where I’m going or don’t really care if I take a different road. I’ve also an Oregon 600 which has OSM maps loaded and I’ll use when in unknown areas or abroad and I need a bit more guidance. I can pair a HRM with the Oregon if I want to. The Oregon takes standard AA batteries so running out of juice on longer (read multi-day) rides is less of a worry.

mountainman

How about mapping away from UK where Ordnance survey maps don’t cover.

Looking for a mapping system for republic ireland , use google maps at present or just zoom in in strava segments.

whitestone
    Free Member

You can get OSM maps for most countries, I’ve got Iceland and Finland for example. The symbols used are different to OS and certainly not as colourful but you get used to it.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘Which GPS do I need?’ is closed to new replies.