Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • Which Full Face “lite” Helmet?
  • shooterman

I’ve had a full face helmet before but stopped using it as it was blisteringly hot (Troy Lee D2 something or other).

I’ve spotted a few of the more airy looking ones at reduced prices but was wondering if they really are as versatile as marketed when doing a mix of riding and grinding out a few long climbs along the way?

Any experiences / recommendations?

ta11pau1

The fox proframe is meant to be one of the best for ventilation.

shooterman

Thanks. Like the looks of the cardinal red one of those.

wildgravity85
    Free Member

Fox proframe for me, can’t fault it! it’s more airy than my two trail lids.

rockhopper70

Third the proframe, feels very light and airy compared to a regular full face.

steamtb

I wore my Fox Proframe all summer with lots of uphills included, no real issues compared to other helmets. It’s really comfortable, I only wear a lighter lid for family bimbling 🙂

steamtb

I wore my Fox Proframe all summer with lots of uphills included, no real issues compared to other helmets, although obviously on a hot summers day it can get warm. It’s really comfortable, I only wear a lighter lid for family bimbling 🙂

rossburton
    Free Member

Related, is the Bell Super still the go-to for convertible helmets? I only need a full-face a few times a year but can’t decide whether to get a new convertible to be the One True Helmet (and have the advantage of being able to carry the chin bar), or spend the same on a Proframe for the occasional full-face use.

alpin
    Free Member

Have got the Bell Super dh.

Bought it as carrying both a FF and trail lid for both the GF and I in the van was using up too much valuable packing space.

It works great as a FF and just as well as a trail lid. Would recommend.

blokeuptheroad

Got a Fox Proframe and love it. Not much hotter than an open face lid. I got the Cardinal red one, not because I like the colour particularly, but because it was the cheapest at the time.

shooterman

Looks like a Proframe by a landslide then!

1timmy1
    Free Member

Merlin have the Troy Lee Stage on offer at the moment. It’s very similar to the Proframe looking at reviews.

shooterman

Cheers.

Kamakazie

One of our group has the TLD Stage and rates it. Prefers it to the Proframe. It’s silly light and a great price on Merlin!

dai3015
    Free Member

I’ve just bought a uvex jakkyl convertible helmet. It’s my first full face lid and have to say that I’m very impressed with the weight and ventilation whilst wearing with the chinguard, not much (if any ) hotter than the bluegrass goldeneyes trail helmet I had before

Northwind

Ooh, good prices for the Stage- I really like the Proframe but it just doesn’t really fit me (always been very happy with Fox helmet aftersales too, I’ve had a few sets of free pads for my xc helmet)

speedstar

Get a stage. Superb helmet. Kicking myself I didn’t wait until the sales to buy one.

jjprestidge
    Free Member

Unless I’m racing, I tend just to push up my helmet on any extended climb. I realise this defeats the point of a helmet, but I’m usually grinding up hills pretty slowly anyway, and even the most ventilated full face gets a bit hot in summer.

JP

Northwind

Couldn’t resist, ordered one grey-and-black Stage, cheers!

1timmy1
    Free Member

I had been going back and forth between the Bell Super DH and the Troy Lee Stage, when I saw the price on Merlin that made my decision. It is very light for a full face even though it Mets DH certification. It won’t be as protective as a full fat full face but looks to be spot on for enduro type riding.

shooterman

The only thing stopping me buying a Stage is the number of reviews mentioning how tight / snug it is around the ears. I wear glasses and the old Troy Lee DH helmet I had was a nightmare to get my glasses on when the helmet was on.

Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)

The topic ‘Which Full Face “lite” Helmet?’ is closed to new replies.