Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Which forks for new 456?
  • thwapy
    Free Member

I've just built up a 456 and I am really torn on what forks to get… I am looking at either PIKE 454 Coil, Revelation Race (but which one!) or FOX 32 Float RL. All are around the £350-£400 mark and all have 140mm travel.

I have a QR front wheel and would rather not have to buy a new wheel…. HELP!! Thanks

ninkynonk
    Free Member

hi thwapy,

do they have to be brand new? i've got a set of 2008 Fox 32 Float RLC 140mm travel forks for a QR front wheel, post mount brake mount, steerer length : 213mm
    colour : silver (weighing in at around 1820g-ish).

can supply photos if interested, just pm me or post a reply

despite being a 2008 model it has had light use (probably about half a dozen times)

these are great forks but they are just gathering dust in the garage
    genuine reason for sale; an unwanted project as bought in preparation for getting a 456 frame myself but have since gone for something less “beefy”.

thwapy
    Free Member

How much are you looking for and any dings or scrapes?

reggiegasket
    Free Member

depends how light it needs to be. I have the coil Pikes and they are tough and work well, but not the lightest.

I definitely think the 20mm is worth having though. Sell your QR wheel and get a Hope Hoop on Flow (or equavalent)

ninkynonk
    Free Member

sorry thwapy, but i didn't check my emails a friend had just beat you to it by an hour or so.

paulrockliffe
    Free Member

I've put Thors on mine, they work pretty well, lock-down to 100mm for climbs, 140mm for the rest.

wwaswas

I'm running 130mm Pace RC41's with the lock down thingy on my 456.

the travel reduction on climbs is useful I think so I'd look for soemthign with Travel Adjust if it were me.

sing1etrack

I run 140 travel 2007 Marz All Mountain 3s on my summer season which are ever so slightly too long, particulary climbing where they wander a lot, but are awesome downhill and over anything rocky and rooty. Probably not ideal on a 'normal' 456 as they'd feel even longer with the steeper head angle, but a set of 130mm would do you maybe (not sure which variant they are – maybe AM SLs?) and they're cheap as chips and bombproof.

thwapy
    Free Member

Still undecided anyone else got an opinion?

br
    Free Member

Thor's on mine too, 20mm's.

New from £500:

http://www.bikescene.co.uk/Magura-Thor-Suspension-Fork-1756-0-0.html

+1 new wheel

Munqe-chick
    Free Member

140mm 2010 Rev race, from merlin cos they were cheap (even cheaper once I sold the free RF headset they came with for 20 squids).

Went with 9mm Q/R as I had those wheels. Dont use U-turn or lock out so wasnt willing to pay extra for such a "feature" (and sold the lockout lever here too, which knocked another 18 quid off the effective price…).

Weigh approx 3.5lbs, half the weight of the Marz I originally had on it (the 456 frame took on parts from a burly full sus build)!

Hairychested
    Free Member

I'll have Z1SL QR within a week for sale. Fitted to my wife's bike but too long so unused in the last couple of years. Pics available to email.
    My 456SS is getting Fox36 Talas though as I already have the wheels.

Northwind

Rev Team U-turns if you can find any in budget, 456 suits travel adjust IMO and the blackbox is worth the extra I reckon.

coolhandluke
    Free Member

I've put Thors on mine, they work pretty well, lock-down to 100mm for climbs, 140mm for the rest.

+1, 2010 Thors on my 456Ti. Decent fork, very stiff. Highly recommended.

thwapy
    Free Member

How do PIKE 351 compare to 454 other than being air rather than coil. I think they are made for specialized OEM?

Would love Rev teams but too much, especially when you add on the cost of a wheel…

Thors look great but £100 more than my budget, especially when you add in a new wheel

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘Which forks for new 456?’ is closed to new replies.