Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)
  • which fast rolling rear tyre?
  • stevenmenmuir
    Free Member

Time to get a new back tyre and as its nice and dry thought I’d get something a bit low profile. Wanting something about 2.2 wide that I can use tubeless with Stans. Thinking Spesh fast track, Maxxis Aspen or Geax Saguaro. Running a Spesh Captain already which I like and works tubeless easily enough. Used the Aspen a couple of years ago and really liked it, but would I need to get the UST version? The Geax is cheap at on one, what are they like? Anything else I should consider?

Northwind

I didn’t like the fast trak much, really not much grip, felt like it was just a dry race only tyre really. Mind you that was the swurks model, there’s probably a more sensible control.

Considered a smallblock? Could chuck you one for a try, I’ve got a 2.1 and a 2.35 I’m not using just now I think, both been tubeless.

taxi25
    Free Member

Got a racing ralph on the back at the moment.

I_Ache
    Free Member

I use a Maxxis Larson 2.35 on the back pretty much year round, its fast enough and much gripper than you would think.

PeaslakeDave
    Free Member

I have a 2.2 race king on mine. rolls great, is pretty light, pretty grippy, and pretty puncture resistant

bigjim

I’ve got a slant six on the back just now, which is great for dry hardpack like the pentlands or trail centres at the moment, but has less to give in the wet or on loose surfaces. I’m about to change it for an Ardent so you could give it a bash if you like. I’ve been running it tubeless on stan’s, it has always had a wobble but it does on a mavic with a tube too, so I think it’s the tyre. I’m still alive though.

BearBack
    Free Member

2.4 conti x-king protection. super nice high volume and fast rolling.
    gives up a bunch of traction on dusty trails but fast on hardpack and tarmac.
    measures at 2.25 on a 19.5mm inner width rim.

njee20
    Free Member

Racing Ralph or Furious Fred

cheers_drive

Crossmark -fast rolling centre, knobby edges

superfli
    Free Member

+1 for the x-king. Great tyres. Also have crossmarks, but that favours the flat and smooth trails, x-king for lightly loose

eshershore
    Free Member

currently running a Specialized Control Fast Trak LK 29’er tire on the rear (replacing a Captain)

very quick and surprisingly grippy off-road

will switch back to the Captain when the wet weather returns and the Fast Trak can get overwhelmed by deep mud

colournoise

Stick with The Captain. In running one now and prefer it to the X-King that I had on there previously – slightly gripper IMHO and doesn’t seem to roll any slower.

cloudnine
    Free Member

Maxxis ardent.. it’s not going to be dry for much longer

stevenmenmuir
    Free Member

I run the captain on the front and wanted something faster on the rear. Was put off continentals years ago because of the price you had to pay for something with grip. The kendas might be worth a try, bit of tyre swapping in a dodgy car park?

hs125
    Free Member

Fast Track is a really good rear tyre. I ran mine all last winter too.

Northwind

Aye, drug dealer meet works… Have you got my number?

steve_b77
    Free Member

I’d say the fast trak, been running a control 29’er since about April on my FS.

Just wish you could get the 2.2″ version over here for my ht

stevenmenmuir
    Free Member

No I haven’t. I’m working at Glentress on Monday and Tuesday afternoon if you are down that way or I’ll probably try and get out for a ride on Wednesday evening, either Pentlands or some great new trails I’ve found nearer home.

Northwind

Wednesday sounds like a possible then.

Candodavid
    Free Member

Run a Geax aka on the back of my SS. Rolls really well

rentachimp
    Free Member

Crossmark is nippy. Recently put a High Roller on instead and my climbing pace has divebombed.

jonnyrockymountain

Ditto x king protection black chilli on the back with same mountain king on front

stevenmenmuir
    Free Member

Won’t be riding the Pentlands, working at GT tomorrow afternoon so going for a ride thereabouts tomorrow night. Don’t know if you can make it NW.

willej

Geax Saguaros are very good. I use them front and rear in the summer. For such a fast tyre they’re remarkably grippy in anything but winter. They’re very good quality and an utter bargain from On One.

Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)

The topic ‘which fast rolling rear tyre?’ is closed to new replies.