Viewing 11 posts - 41 through 51 (of 51 total)
  • Which dropper?
  • jorosm
    Free Member

A good read whilst I’m considering a dropper for my Spec Stumpjumper FSR. Does anyone know whether the stealth reverbs have to be concealed? My frame is open at the bottom of the seat post, so I don’t know whether I have to go for the non-stealth model

mikewsmith
    Free Member

jorosm – Member
    A good read whilst I’m considering a dropper for my Spec Stumpjumper FSR. Does anyone know whether the stealth reverbs have to be concealed? My frame is open at the bottom of the seat post, so I don’t know whether I have to go for the non-stealth model

Depends on the clearance on the shock and the bend required. Most common problem I have seen with reverbs recently is around hose kink. Stick a length of cable outer/hose down there and see how it could be run before investing.

dirtyrider
    Free Member

DOSS

had 2 reverbs, hated the infinite adjustment, l

ike the fact that the doss is click, there, click, there

only ever use it in extended and next drop down, saying that i do not even use it “that” much and could getaway with a normal post 99% of the time

robgclarkson
    Free Member

Had a non remote KS and it was faultless. Wanted one with a remote so got a reverb, that too has been faultless. The reverb definitely feels a better piece of kit to me… Which is totally subjective, I know.

weeksy

I’m still not sold on the reverb… Still want a dropper though.

I want up, down…. don’t care about anything in the middle and don’t care too much about remote, happy with userseat

bravesirrobin

I like my Fox DOSS dropper – I’ve been using it about twice a week for the last 8 months in all conditions with no real issues and no service. Very occasionally it slips back down to the next stop after extending it – that happens usually in wet conditions when it hasn’t properly engaged in the up position. It only happens rarely and doesn’t really bother me. Otherwise it works very well and the “clunkiness” I see as “positive engagement”! I like the 3 fixed positions but think that the intermediate position is a little too high (at 40mm from top) for my liking. The vast majority of the time I use it in the fully up or fully down positions. The lever is also great if run with a 1x setup underneath the bar on the left – it is a little awkward if run on top of the bar but still usable. I primarily chose the DOSS based on the mechanical (rather than hydraulic) internals and am optimistic that it’s going to remain reliable.

DaveyBoyWonder
    Free Member

I want up, down…. don’t care about anything in the middle and don’t care too much about remote, happy with userseat

You say that but:
    a) I’ve said it before and I’ll say it again but you’ll find yourself knocking the post down an inch or so even in fast flowing singletrack where you want to man handle the bike a bit more than usual. That touch more clearance is brilliant to have at the tips of your fingers…
    b) my old Joplin was a lever actuated jobbie. I thought it was brilliant (when it worked). Then I tried a remote actuated dropper and it was such a massive improvement you’d be a fool not to get something with a remote.

razorrazoo

You say that but:
    a) I’ve said it before and I’ll say it again but you’ll find yourself knocking the post down an inch or so even in fast flowing singletrack where you want to man handle the bike a bit more than usual. That touch more clearance is brilliant to have at the tips of your fingers…
    b) my old Joplin was a lever actuated jobbie. I thought it was brilliant (when it worked). Then I tried a remote actuated dropper and it was such a massive improvement you’d be a fool not to get something with a remote

+1

Regardless of what brand dropper you buy both of these are extremely pertinent points, especially the latter,I’m always dropping and raising my post over terrain where trying to grab a lever between my legs (snigger) would most likely see me off in a bush or suchlike.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

you say that but:
    b) my old Joplin was a lever actuated jobbie. I thought it was brilliant (when it worked). Then I tried a remote actuated dropper and it was such a massive improvement you’d be a fool not to get something with a remote

Hear, hear.

Northwind

Oh, worth adding to comments on KS posts- I just had my older one serviced by Jungle, first full service it’s ever had in 3 years horrible use. Service was quick and easy, price was reasonable- it needed new parts so that pushed it up, but still £70 including return postage. So that’s taken away the only real downside to KS posts I reckon.

DaveyBoyWonder
    Free Member

Oh and I’ll chip in with another vote for a Reverb as well. Mines knocking on for 2 years old, no looking after apart from keeping it clean when it gets caked and its still 100% functional.

Viewing 11 posts - 41 through 51 (of 51 total)

The topic ‘Which dropper?’ is closed to new replies.