Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Which connector link for XTR 10 speed chain?
  • sam_underhill

I can see why shimano want us to use the connector pins so that all the links are the same and the ramping works properly. But, back in the real world, I need to take my chain off with some degree of regularity to clean it properly.

I’m assuming that I’ll never be able to find the connector pin to remove the same one, so breaking and rejoining doesn’t sound great. Probably worth the slight degradation of shifting performance on a single link (if at all!) to use a connecting link. I’m assuming that once it’s all covered in mud during there’ll be no difference anyway.

So which one? BBB? KMC? sram one seem to be one use only so that’s no better than the proper connecting pin.

njee20
    Free Member

KMC here, no problems.

Dougal
    Free Member

Is the Shimano MTB 10speed chain not a different width to a road chain?

Do KMC make a specific link for this?

warpcow
    Free Member

I used a BBB one on a Shimano chain the other day. Works fine.

sam_underhill

hadn’t thought about that difference with MTB v Road chains. They don’t specifically say MTB chain, just 10 speed.

I guess there might be a difference between “works” and “doesn’t cause excessive wear over time”.

depth-junkie
    Free Member

I have used KMC missing link 10speed (sram/shimano fit) on my SLX 10 speed for around 400miles all off road. No problems what so ever, i tend to do 2-3 rides then take of the chain for cleaning and use my 2nd chain for 2-3 rides then swap back out and replace with clean chain again etc etc. Have always re-used the same missing link and just keep the other one in my bag for trail side repairs (they come in a pack of 2)

I use a sram and a shimano chains and have not had any probs with either chain on my SLX 10 speed with the KMC link.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

The topic ‘Which connector link for XTR 10 speed chain?’ is closed to new replies.