Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Which chainsaw?
  • smartay

looking at upping my log burning instead of coal for our stove. which chain saw for domestic use

geoffj

Anything by Stihl or Husky will easily do the job.
    Just make sure you know how to use it safely and you buy the PPE to go with it.
    Helmet, Gloves & Protective trousers.

I’ve got a Husky 236e (14″ bar) which has served me well.

You may struggle to buy Stihl stuff mail order.

Have fun!

smartay

Entry model 12″ Stihl at Charlies in Deeside, Flintshire for £150ish, good price?

sharkbait
    Free Member

I bought a Stihl 034 (56cc) with a 15″ bar for £200 delivered from a chap on Arbtalk who sells quite a lot of stuff privately. It’s an old model but it is ‘proper’ rather than a hobby saw – I believe Mcmoonter uses the same model (but I may be wrong) which puts me in good company 🙂
    The seller was completely open about the fact that he’s not cheap but he strips, sharpens and services each saw and corrects anything that’s not right before it’s sold and is confident that every saw he sells is ‘right’. He has also given me some great advise and I’m happy I went that route rather than buying blind of eBay. If you want his email I can supply.
    Mine has been fantastic and has happily eaten it’s way though a load of cord I had. Got a further 10 tons coming from a tree surgeon for £100 🙂

Re. the 12″ – it’s all about what and how much you plan on cutting.

smartay

Thanks sharkbait, had a look on Arbtalk, there’s a Stihl on there for £140ish,from “seddon direc” but wouldn’t mind looking at the secondhand version you mentioned

sharkbait
    Free Member

If you’re planning on doing quite a bit I would recommend either buying an Oregon Saw Horse or making something similar.
    I made this a few months ago and it’s completely changed how I feel about cutting loads of wood. Much quicker, safer and you can cut large batches to just the right length.

if you decide to make one (I used spare fence rails) it’s worth adding the sloping cross braces which hold the cord off the floor and also make it roll towards you which helps stop thin pieces spinning.

sharkbait
    Free Member

Smartay: email me and I’ll send his info. If you’re near Chester you’re welcome to pop over and try mine.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

The topic ‘Which chainsaw?’ is closed to new replies.