Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 122 total)
  • Which car for £35-39K? Something fun.
  • Frankenstein
    Free Member

Thought about a Countryman JCW or a 220 BMW?

Z4?

Mid-life-Crisis? Coke and Hookers?

chestrockwell

Fun? Countryman?

doomanic

Fun? 220 BMW?

grahamt1980

Ariel Nomad (poverty spec one) but will still be awesome

cultsdave
    Free Member

Porsche Cayman

5plusn8
    Free Member

5k on something old and keep 34k to invest.

chestrockwell

I’d imagine you want a hyper hatch for that money, Focus RS, Golf R, etc. BMW 2 not a bad shout though.

Second hand Cayman, Lotus, Audi RS?

doomanic
    oakleymuppet
    Free Member

One of the silly fast Caterhams.

Anything with a closed cockpit sucks donkey balls, you’re an mtber….you shouldn’t care about being warm and cosy!

oakleymuppet
    Free Member

CaptainFlashHeart, I don’t think any self-respecting fighter pilot would ever be seen dead in one of those – you need to live up to your username!

convert

Is this a company car thing or a bizarrely specific amount of cash mid life crisis splurge?

Is there any element of practicality required? Neither of your suggestions seem to meet the requirement of your title in more than a mild way.

duncancallum

Mk1 mk2 Mx5 bit of fettling and a load of track days

E46 me csl. Save the rest.

Or go the other way a campervan. Most fun on wheels

Frankenstein
    Free Member

I’d still need need to commute on a 40
    Mike round trip on country A/B roads.

Gachet
    Free Member

Honestly, who cares. With so many losing their jobs and businesses and struggling to pay the bills, here you are showing off about spending almost £40k on a very mediocre car if your options are anything to go by.

boardmanfs18

Get a V8

endoverend

. Was going to be rude. Those cars you mention are not fun, 2 of them are not even any good. Nothing more to add.

scubashark
    Free Member

What about a BMW M2, or M340i.

Tom-B
    Free Member

hahaha!!! As above, bragging about having almost 40k to spaff on a car and you’re looking at a Countryman!!!! All of a sudden I’m feeling a lot less down about having no money!

halifaxpete

BMW M2? F80 M3? They seem to start at around 30k. Or go down the modern classic route to avoid depreciation/make afew quid cone trade in time.

choppersquad
    Free Member

Subaru P1, or my usual answer… NOBLE M12.

frankconway

Humblebrag – yawn.
    Also tasteless and inconsiderate given job uncertainties, shattered economy.
    See ya

zilog6128

I think you guys are taking an obviously bored troll a little too seriously 😉

jjprestidge
    Free Member

Not sure what people on here find so offensive about someone asking for advice about what car to get with a reasonable budget. This place really is full of bellends sometimes.

My business partner’s S5 is quite nice – about £25k for a 17 plate, practical enough to use as a family car, too. I’m not usually a fan of Audis, but this drives very well.

I borrowed a Cayman S the other day and was very impressed – it’s not as raw as a Lotus, but has a similar feel but with a lot more day to day usability.

Having owned road legal race cars that I’ve used as daily drivers, I wouldn’t really recommend something like a Caterham or Elise unless it’s a car for dry days only.

Hyper hatches are a bit boy racers for my liking, especially if you’re spending a chunk of money. I’d rather have something like an M2.

JP

MrPottatoHead

Now I know naff all about cars but my BiL is well into them.

He’s just picked up a Hyundai i30N at around that price and by all accounts is extremely happy with it as a fun hot-hatch.

oldnpastit

Weird that all of those have internal combustion engines inside them.

frankconway

At a different time and in different circumstances it might be an amusing thread.
    Maybe the current circumstances have passed you by.
    You describe £35-39k as a ‘reasonable budget’ – go tell that to 75% of the population.

This place really is full of bellends sometimes

You would know.

Tom-B
    Free Member

Reasonable budget 🤣🤣🤣

Yay you. You have money!!! Rejoice plebs, the manneth hath money.

zippykona

£35 k on a car. You could get 4 Mtb’s for that.
    As cyclists I feel that we can’t really criticise how people spend their money.

GlennQuagmire
    Free Member

Mazda MX-5 and a Triumph Street Triple RS (motorbike)

jjprestidge
    Free Member

Are you really so over sensitive that you find it offensive that other people have spare cash? (I don’t have that sort of cash, by the way, and never said I did). If that’s the case you really need to have a look at whether you’ve got some deep seated issues that you need to address.

I notice that when someone mentions an equivalent budget for a bike (about 4K, which, again, I’d say is a reasonable budget) it goes by without comment.

JP

mikertroid
    Free Member

Second hand Cayman or M2/M3?

Second hand Nissan GTR….?!

New M135i….

New Golf GTi well within budget and more fun than a Golf R….

New i30N below budget…there’s a refreshed model out which will be worth looking at.

New Civic Type R well reviewed.

mboy
    Free Member

hahaha!!! As above, bragging about having almost 40k to spaff on a car and you’re looking at a Countryman!!!! All of a sudden I’m feeling a lot less down about having no money!

Money still doesn’t buy taste! 😉

Honestly though… £40k on a car…? Unless you’re spending £35k of it on something that’s an appreciating classic, and the other £5k max on something for daily use, then I really just don’t get it… Any new £40k car is going to be worth less than £20k in 3yrs time, so just seems like a ridiculous waste of cash, even if you can afford it… And cars are virtually impossible to enjoy on a road anyway these days (you didn’t state you were into track days, or motorbikes, if either/both then obviously the answer is a Panigale V4R and the rest on a diesel runabout), so kinda what’s the point unless it’s something you can appreciate that is actually increasing in value? 🤷🏻‍♂️

zilog6128

I notice that when someone mentions an equivalent budget for a bike (about 4K

in what universe is £4k the equivalent of £39k?! 😂😂🤣
    I could probably afford a £4k bike if I really wanted, no way could I afford almost £40k on a car nor would I even want to spaff that much if I could!
    EDIT:damn it getting reeled into troll post 😂

MrPottatoHead

I’d prob think someone with a 4-5k bike was more extravagant than this. I assume bikes are bought outright whereas nobody these days is actually buying a 40k car outright (are they?).

I’d just assumed £3-400 lease, which isn’t insignificant but then not a huge leap from any normal car.

TheFlyingOx

2012-2015 era Maserati GranTurismo 4.7S

Then all the whingers can feel comfortable that any and all spare cash you may have will be spunked on trying to keep it full of fuel and tyres. Go for the MC Shift version if you want an extra recurring £3k+ bill on the horizon for when the clutch goes every 30-40k miles.

On the plus side they’re actually fun, can fit 4 adults, potentially an appreciating classic, and they sound tremendous.

BillMC

Don’t be unkind, for someone with a deep-rooted sense of inferiority and maybe a bit on the short side, £40k is not unreasonable so they can be seen in it by people struggling to get a minimum wage job. Some people derive great joy and imaginary social mobility by displaying their shopping, just look at the number of Range Rovers in Essex.
    How come people with such vulgar tastes do the humble brag of a light-hearted and reasonable bit of fun come but are on here as free members? Now that is interesting.

yourguitarhero
    Free Member

I would suggest a TVR of some sort.

I can’t imagine spending £40k on a Mini would get you anything nicer or more fun than spending £15k on a Mini though?

anagallis_arvensis

I notice that when someone mentions an equivalent budget for a bike (about 4K,

Can anyone explain how £4k is equivalent to £35k?

To the op, I have no idea, I doubt I have spent half that on cars in my 46years, but I am sure you can get a nice shiny one.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 122 total)

The topic ‘Which car for £35-39K? Something fun.’ is closed to new replies.