Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Which camelbak to fit an slr?
  • hugh_b
    Free Member

Hi guy's, i've been looking at buying a new camelbak as my old hydrapak is on it's last legs! Just got myself a nikon d60 and would quite like to take it riding sometimes, preferably keeping it in it's lowerpro case.

I've been looking at the following:

Mule
    Mayhem
    Hawg

I don't think the mule will be big enough from what others have said?
    The mayhem might be ok but i'm not sure if the camera will fit in with the lowerpro case.
    The hawg sounds like it will fit perfectly but i'm worried it will be huge!

Can anyone give me their opinions on what would be best. Aswell as a camera i want to carry all the usual stuff; food, pump, tube, basic tools, brake pads etc.

Hugh

cp

no chance on the Mule, I have a Hawg, and my canon 10d fits in its lowe prox tlz1 case in the Hawg. Not much room for a great deal else!! (well, waterproof is OK, but sarnies is a squueze!)

nbt

I've an old hawg and my 300d fits in, in a case: I can also get in spare tube, waterproofs, pump, flash etc.

Ewan
    Free Member

HAWG isn't huge. It's great. Fits a EOS30d no problem, and can get a coat in if I need to (along with pump, tube, blah blah). Bomb proof as well. Consider a Havoc as well, but that's a bit heavier.

user-removed
    Free Member

Just got a Deuter Bike 1 which swallows my DSLR with 10-20mm lens, sandwich, jacket, tools and 3L bladder no probs. Mule is far too small – I've relegated mine to non-camera rides.

It's also got a pull out waterproof cover – definitely a good thing.

hugh_b
    Free Member

Thanks for the speedy replies guy's. Sounds like it may be better to go for the HAWG! From what i've read it seems you can strap the packs down, for example if i went on a short local ride i could just put in a coat, and a few tools, spare tube etc and tighten all the straps right up to take up slack/unwanted space, making it more compact?

Hugh

mrsflash
    Free Member

Another vote for the HAWG, that's what GF uses.

Ewan
    Free Member

Yeah you can compact the HAWG very easily – just jank on the straps. As an aside you can wedge armour under the straps if you go to the alps and have to cycle up hill as well. I rode up an alp in july with a pressure suit and full face attached (with the aid of a carbeaner) and it was fine… amazing bag.

If I had the choice, i'd get the none NEVIS (?) one – the elevated back thing just looks like it'll take storage space.

Sponging-Machine
    Free Member

Dakine do a snowboard/ski backpack that's designed to hold SLRs and lenses and stuff in padded compartments. Not sure if that's too specific, but may be worth a look.

boxelder

Whatever you get, you're much better having the camera clipped at your chest, attached to the shoulder straps of your camelback (unless it really gets in the way). Then you're not taking off and opening camelback to take pics.

jwr

I used to use a HAWG for my Canon SLR. I recently changed to a Dakine Apex and found that although the listed capacity is about the same it's a much better bag for bulky items.

-j

Ewan
    Free Member

I had a Dankine Nomad; straps broke, and the bladder leaked. Suffice to say i went back to Camelbak and brought a HAWG.

didmatt
    Free Member

I have a HAWG too, can fit my Canon 5D it in, if i wanted. Usually just take a compact though as when you have food, coat, etc in the main pocket it starts to get full and heavy!

stumpy01

I've got a Vaude Splash Air 20+5 and it fits my D80 with 18-135 zoom in with no problems while it's in it's case.

Doesn't come with a bladder, but I presume you have one of those & it takes 3L bladders OK. There's an expandable bit if needed, plus a waterproof cover and a weird 'helmet carrier' attachment that I find useful for holding down pads while not wearing them.

Best thing about it is the arched back, which keeps the majority of the bag off your back & stops you getting too sweaty. Similar to the Deuter system I think.

EDIT – link here: http://www.vaude.com/epages/Vaude-de.sf/secQ9j5tSA3tJ2/?ObjectPath=/Shops/Vaude/Products/15061/SubProducts/150610400

Denis99
    Free Member

I had the same dilemma and bought a Deuter Trans Alpine 25 – so much better than all the Camelbaks I've had in the past.

Swallows my Canon 40D with battery grip and all but the largest of lens. Plenty of room around the camera to pad it out in case of a tumble.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘Which camelbak to fit an slr?’ is closed to new replies.