Viewing 38 posts - 1 through 38 (of 38 total)
  • Which bike to sell ?
  • roverpig

We have a fair few “what to buy” threads, so maybe it’s time for a “what to sell” one. I don’t think it’s a stealth advert as I’ve not managed to bring myself to sell either despite thinking about it for a year, so probably won’t now either. But sometimes it helps just to write down the pros and cons and if I do that here, somebody might chip in with something useful.

Basically I have two full-sus bikes but spend at least 90% of my time riding my fat-bike as it just suits me better. So, I’d like to sell one of the full-sus bikes, but can’t decide which to let go.

In the Orange corner we have my trusty old 26″ Five.

Reasons to keep (in no particular order):

Lots of good memories from nearly four years of fun.

British made. Not sure why that matters but I like it.

Neon orange colour. Love it and not even Orange do that colour any more

Always fun to ride.

Don’t mind abusing it. Happy to ride it whatever the weather.

Probably not worth much (26″)

Reasons to sell:

Slowest bike. Not by much, but a bit slower up and down than the competition. I like to pretend that I don’t care about speed as I mostly ride on my own for fun. But if that were true I’d have deleted my Strava account years ago!

Seems to want to kill me. I’ve broken both arms in separate crashes on this bike. That could just be random chance but I do tend to ride it a bit more like a hooligan for some reason and maybe those smaller wheels are just that bit more likely to get tripped up by things.

Hard to get the front wheel up. Never quite understood this one. Shortest chainstays, least BB drop, shortest reach and lightest wheels/fork of any bike I’ve owned, but for some reason it tends to want to stay stuck to the ground.

Now, in the other orange corner we have the Sumuggler

Reasons to keep:

Fast as f^&$. A bit more efficient on the climbs and descending is usually not even close. May struggle a bit when things are tight and twisty, but most descents here are fast open and rocky and this thing is just stupidly fast and so stable at speed.

The most capable bike I’ve ever owned. Could easily cope with anything that I’d ever have the nerve to ride and a lot more.

Quite poppy and fun when you are in the mood.

Eats up the miles very efficiently. Lock it out and it’s even pretty efficient on the road.

Reasons to sell

Probably still worth something. Not boost, but ticks most other boxes.

I don’t come close to its limits. I just don’t enjoy the sort of technical trails that it’s capable of and even the speed is often just scary.

It needs to be ridden hard to work. Basically, get your weight well forward and drive that front wheel into things and it’s brilliant, but get a bit tentative and it will refuse to go round corners.

I don’t enjoy it as much when just bimbling along for some reason and that makes up a lot of my riding.

I’m reluctant to ride it when the trails are grotty (which is most of the time up here). I expected to get less precious about that after a while, but it hasn’t happened yet for some reason.

monkeyboyjc

Personally I’d sell the 5…

I only ride my fatty and sold my t129s after about 6 as it wasn’t getting any use – not one ride in six months (and the cash was handy when I was moving house). I’ve not looked back since, however just recently I would like something like the smuggler for more ‘gnar’ duties which the fatty doesn’t exactly excel at.

roverpig

however just recently I would like something like the smuggler for more ‘gnar’ duties which the fatty doesn’t exactly excel at.

Thanks, that’s a good point and even though the Smuggler doesn’t really suit what I’m riding these days (which is more exploring than anything gnar) I am conscious that I might want to try some more technical trails in future (or at least I’m not ready to give up that dream) and then I’d miss it.

patriotpro
    Free Member

Whichever will attract the higher price so the Transition…

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Both.

Buy something that you really want.

andyl
    Free Member

Both.

Buy something that you really want.

I was thinking that! Although I was also thinking bu an E-bike if you like to explore.

I shall now go punish myself for these dirty thoughts.

NormalMan

Neither?

Keep them both and ride them when you feel like a change?

This does come from someone who bought a 29er ht to replace a 29er ht and somehow managed not to sell one 😳

SirHC

Sell the orange, it’s trying to kill you.

I have a smuggler and a Reign, if I had to have one bike, would be the smuggler, does everything very well, very capable bike.

roverpig

Thanks folks. Not that I’m any closer to making a decision, but I think I can deal with the “sell both” and “sell neither” comments.

I have considered selling them both to get something else, but the fact is that I like having a full-suss, but nine times out of ten I reach for the fatbike. So spending money on another full-suss that may hardly get ridden doesn’t seem to make sense.

Sell neither? Well, that’s what I’ve done for the past year so probably is still the most likely outcome. I can just about rationalize keeping them both as they do both excel in different situations. The Five is perfect when the trails are really crappy. With the Magic Mary tyres on it will cut through crap better than any of my other bikes and the simple single pivot design was basically made for crappy British winters. The Smuggler, on the other hand, is great for those rare occasions when I ride with others (as it helps me keep up), is ideal for trail centres and anything techy. It’s also great for those long summer rides that may take in a bit of road along with the trails. But again, the fatbike is what I choose 90% of the time and keeping two bikes to cover the other 10% just seems excessive.

nwill1
    Free Member

I’d be in the camp of sell both and get something between else…IF there’s something that takes your fancy.

If not sell neither…sounds like you think the Shmgler is the better bike but the Five is hardly worth selling at £800 or so and great for winter muck!!

TheGingerOne

I’d sell both and not replace until you get to the point where there is a really good reason to buy something else. Only then will you know what to buy. What you then buy will be bang up to date for when you actually want it and what you actually want it for.

If the fat bike is fine for 90% of the time, you don’t really need a second bike in my opinion

dumbbot
    Free Member

Sell both, I’m not sensing a huge amount of attachment to the Smuggler so get it oot the door,

roverpig

If the fat bike is fine for 90% of the time, you don’t really need a second bike in my opinion

Well that’s just crazy talk 🙂

Seriously, it sounds sensible, but what would I do when it needed fixing? I’d have to ride on the road or something (shudders).

TheGingerOne

How often does it need fixing!? 😯

andytheadequate
    Free Member

I’d have a look at ebay and Pinkbike to see what the values of the two bikes are. If the Smuggler will get you a lot more then I’d probably sell that. If it won’t get you as much as you’d hope, then I’d sell the Orange. No point selling it if you’ll make a huge loss on the price you paid for it new.

Not much point owning bikes you won’t ride so it makes sense to sell one.

roverpig

Lots of good advice here folks although much of it contradictory.

Sell both, I’m not sensing a huge amount of attachment to the Smuggler so get it oot the door,

Yes I think That’s the crux of the matter. I admire the Smuggler. It’s an amazingly capable bike, but you’re right I don’t have any attachment to it. I have raised the bars a bit and am going to ride it a few more times before making a decision though. Love isn’t always instant 🙂

If not sell neither…sounds like you think the Smuggler is the better bike but the Five is hardly worth selling at £800 or so and great for winter muck!!

Also very true ! Although put like that, £800 is still cash that I could put into upgrading the fatbike, which is the one I actually ride most of the time. In fact, although the Five is great for winter slop, I still opted for the fatbike (in rigid form, with heavily treaded tyres) most of the time, since we don’t get proper mud up here.

core

If that five is large and takes a tapered steerer, I might want it, frame anyway!

roverpig

Yes, it’s a large, tapered steerer, maxle (135) rear end. I put new bearings in a few months ago (and have hardly ridden it since) and only got the shock back from Mojo last week after a full service. But this really isn’t meant to be a stealth advert. I’m planning to take both bikes out to the hill tonight and ride them back to back until I finally make up my mind which one I actually want to keep !

core

Keep me informed 😉

TiRed

Sell the FIVE. You want your bikes to be as diverse as possible, then you can justify riding them all.

I don’t enjoy it as much when just bimbling along for some reason and that makes up a lot of my riding.

Bimbling is for your fat bike, surely 😉

FWIW, I have a lot of road bikes, but am careful that there is no overlap between them (till the next one I’m planning – I have all bases covered!)

doom_mountain

I think you should sell the Smuggler, incidentally I’m also looking for a Smuggler frame in large 😉

chestrockwell

Sell the Transition.

You don’t ride either much and it’s clear from many of your posts you are attached to the 5. It’s worth less but hold on to the Trans too long and it’ll be worth the same.

chilled76
    Free Member

Great stealth ad 😉

pop-larkin
    Free Member

I may be looking to offload an alloy Santa Cruz 5010 if you fancy going somewhere between the two and I quite fancy a smuggler 🙂

twonks

Sell all 3 and get a better fat bike.

I’m probably going to sell a recently build ht and fat bike to build my old fs frame back up, but seem to be finding ways to build the old frame up without selling the other two. So I have an understanding of the situation 😆

Andyhilton
    Free Member

I may be interested in the Smuggler if it’s a large!

whatyadoinsucka
    Free Member

Sell one and keep a spare, nothing worse than wanting a ride and the bike being repaired.

core

So how did it go? Bet they were both brilliant and you’re selling neither?!

flange
    Free Member

Pop Larkin – you have mail!

roverpig

So how did it go? Bet they were both brilliant and you’re selling neither?!

Well, you’re half right 🙂

In one sense the testing was a total waste of time. Three hours riding loops back to back and all it really proved is something I should have known all along. It’s not the bikes that are the issue. They’re both great and I’m quite capable of riding sections competently and making a pigs ear of them on either bike.

But I’m still back to the basic fact that I don’t need them both. So, I’ve decided to stick them both up for sale. If either (or both) fetch a price that seems fair I’ll let them go, if not I’m happy to keep them. A decision that doesn’t actually require me to make a decision. My favourite sort 🙂

I did briefly stick the Five up for sale about a year ago, before deciding that I couldn’t bear to part with it. The original advert is here and I’ve barely ridden it since.

dangeourbrain
    Free Member

Sell both and get a buzz saw or similar frame and fork with the cash. You could wheel swap if needed and should easily cover costs at that rate (and obviously wouldn’t end up buying fancy new wheels etc making it rapidly more expensive than budgeted, oh no :wink:) giving you a full suss fat bike which might end up being your new 99% bike.

stevedoc
    Free Member

The five will only loose money but I will always have a place for mine such a brilliant bike same neon orange with pikes and hope wheels brakes and monarch plus. took me down most of the big mountains in the UK and flew past a few Capra and Nomads on last year’s Ardrock while I was holding on and grinning like a delinquent. Just a superb fun sorry Fun bike. I ride a Canyon dude carbon and an Alpine Five now and both are soon much quicker, tbh the Dude is beyond quick but neither are as much fun sad to say

Not helping but a neon orange 2013 five is always a good sight on the trails the

roverpig

Not helping but a neon orange 2013 five is always a good sight on the trails

On the contrary, you’re helping a lot 🙂

I think I’ve just sold the Smuggler and decided to keep the Five. It’s not the best bike, but I’m not the best rider, so we’re well suited.

I’m also seriously considering sinking the money I get from the Smuggler into a Dude. Especially as Canyon have a sale on this weekend, which includes the base model in my preferred green/orange colour. I could swap all the nice bits from my ICT onto the Dude and end up with a significantly lighter fatbike with pretty much the same geometry (plus the Five for scratching that occasional “normal” trail bike itch and for riding when there is too much mud for fat tyres).

roverpig

Sell both and get a buzz saw or similar frame and fork with the cash.

I’ve already got Blutos and have seriously considered a Bucksaw. It’s still a possible alternative to the Dude plan above. But aside from the need for a new rear hub (as mine are 197) I’m just nor sure about full-fat and full-sus.

I did a bit of data bashing on the large amount of Strava data I’ve collected on different bikes. It would never get past a reviewer but I think I’ve convinced myself that skinny hardtail is the fastest (for me), but it’s just too uncomfortable for me to enjoy. Fat tyres and rear suspension both seem to carry a small (and pretty much equal) speed penalty. Since I don’t race that’s a trade-off that works for me and full-fat hardtail or skinny full-suss both work (and are different enough that I can enjoy them both). But I fear that full-fat full-sus would just about be slow enough that it would annoy me. It’s all just conjecture of course, but I think I’ll leave that option out for now.

chakaping
    Free Member

Oi Roverpig, I told you to give me a shout if you wanted to flog that Smuggler!

🙁

(I just bought another s/h frameset so I’m not really upset)

roverpig

Oi Roverpig, I told you to give me a shout if you wanted to flog that Smuggler!

Oops, sorry, I really thought I’d emailed everyone who’d expressed an interest in it. I could have sold it two or three times over in the end, which is probably a sure sign that I’m going to regret having sold it at all before long. Ho hum.

(I just bought another s/h frameset so I’m not really upset)

Phew 🙂

NormalMan

@ RP.

There was me thinking I was bad stressing over stems 😉

Oh yeah! I did do a back to back on the 29ers today just to see if I ‘need’ both* which had nothing to do with stems.

*I don’t 😳

groundskeeperwilly
    Free Member

If anyone is still looking for a large smuggler give me a shout….

Viewing 38 posts - 1 through 38 (of 38 total)

The topic ‘Which bike to sell ?’ is closed to new replies.