Viewing 15 posts - 41 through 55 (of 55 total)
  • Which 3k 27.5 trail bike
  • mindmap3
    Free Member

I came up with a short list of two, demo’d them and chose the one I liked the most. In fact I liked the way both rode and it came down to looks and the Rune won! I know it’s sad, but it was the most I’ve ever spent on a frame and I had to like the way it looked as well as rode.

I’d vote for the Spitfire – I’ve turned into a real Banshee fan boy after buying the Rune. Being able to email Keith who designs them and ask questions is great. I also love the way they ride.

If I’m honest, I should have bought the Spitfire because the Rune is a lot of bike for my mincing.

With all that said, if my bike went walkies I’d be buying the Capra; it looks fantastic, is a great spec and is getting a lot of good reviews.

BearBack
    Free Member

It would be remiss not to add a 2014 Scott genius 720 to your test ride list!

spudnick
    Free Member
    Euro
    Free Member

Euro, you’d invest £3k on a bike without having tried it before hand? Your missing out on the possibilities. I would do my geometry homework but it makes a lot of sense to demo various bikes before laying out cash. As the guy above said having tried the bike he thought he wanted he went for another. Cautionary tale there.

I should point out that my cycling background isn’t atypical and i guess my bike buying isn’t either. I don’t think i’d ever spend 3k on a bike full stop. I bought my last two bikes – Stumpy Evo (second hand) and new 456 SS without seeing/trying them and i’ve never had a meaningful test ride on any bike i’ve owned. I ‘tested’ my first FS bike for about 20 seconds in a car park and hated it, but bought it anyway as my hardtail wasn’t suitable for the type of riding i was subjecting it to. Turns out it was brilliant at DH and jumping but there wasn’t much of that outside the shop.

I’ve never been hung up on geometry and all that magic, as long as it looks like it’ll handle the type of riding i’m buying it for and fits reasonably well i’m happy.

JCL
    Free Member

As long as you like the short rear centre the Process is the bike in 650b.

A little heavy but best, geo, suspension, and sizing.

Norco Sight looks pretty good too but haven’t ridden it.

ultimateweevil
    Free Member

Well this has opened a real can of worms 😯

I was in a similar position a few weeks back but rather than go for an off the peg bike I’ve went full self build again. Much better value for money IMO as you get every component you want without having to compromise on something like a lot of full builds do.

If you can test ride as many as you can before setting your heart on one particular bike. Look for demo days too as they’re a great way to try lots of bikes.

Also ask yourself what exactly will you be riding and try to match the bike up that way as you could end up with a big fat heavy full susser you hate riding if it’s got more travel than you need.

Oh and in case your wondering I’ve went for a Banshee Spitfire 🙂

yorkycsl
    Free Member

650B Stumpy looks good & they always produce a good bike, a mate has a Spesh Enduro 29er expert & it’s amazing.
    you could import (there are ways..) a bronson directly from the US & save a fortune, XX1 spec up grade forks & shock carbon frame for just over 3k, i’ve brought two in now to replace cracking lapierres, had enough of warranty claims though the new 2014’s look ok the rear end on them is as wider as a tanker seen a few with all the paint worn of chain stays.

Cheers mark

crashtestmonkey
    Free Member

I’ve never been hung up on geometry and all that magic, as long as it looks like it’ll handle the type of riding i’m buying it for and fits reasonably well i’m happy.

I thought the same and have never test-ridden a bike, then bought my dream bike, a SC Nomad (Mk1). Rode like a dog, hated it, sold it on quickly.

I didnt test ride its replacement (Alpine 160) either; I love the Alpine and its a keeper.

Had far more hits than misses, but full sussers behave too differently for all bikes to be liked by all people.

jairaj

I don’t think there are many bad bike these days. So buying blind isn’t the end of the world. From my experience there was only one bike I wouldn’t have wanted, I would have been more than happy with any of the others.

But I think you can really maximise your enjoyment by demoing a few bikes first to see which (if any) really stands out.

willharrop
    Free Member

Only just saw your message mikeywxm otherwise I would of had a look at your Saracen, was up at Llandegla today testing the five. I`ve tested a stumpy fsr 29er, a mega am pro and the five so far, the mega is way out front at the moment, I loved it, liked the others as well but the Nukeproof was a lot of fun!

Paulo76
    Free Member

Tried a pyga? 120 or 140

willharrop
    Free Member

The Pyga looks nice but like the Banshees it isn’t going to be easy to test on is it?

mikeywxm
    Free Member

No worries. I’m from Wrexham so if you are ever in the area and want a go give me a shout. Have you checked if you LBS can get one in? I did hear that all mediums are sold out already. Also I’ve never heard anything bad about the Nukeproofs. It was on my list but I just didn’t feel it. If you like it then there’s a fair few suppliers so just be cheeky and try your luck on a good price.

kimbers

switchback spain put up this carbon bronson downtube after a rockstrike

yorkycsl
    Free Member

Imagine what wold of happend to a alloy frame then kimbers… if you’ve seen the Santa Cruz web site factory strength test where the Carbon Nomad frame takes nearly double the loading of a alloy one before it fails….

I personally put a old tyre cut to shape held on with a few cable ties on the down tube when i’m heading to the lakes to play on big rocks.
    Rock gaurdgz as advertised on ebay look okm more form than function, but one good hit one i bought shatterd
    Could of been any bike that took the rock strike not just a bronson.
    God knows what would of happend if it had been a lapierre, i’ve cracked 3 then said enough, no more.

Viewing 15 posts - 41 through 55 (of 55 total)

The topic ‘Which 3k 27.5 trail bike’ is closed to new replies.