Viewing 34 posts - 41 through 74 (of 74 total)
  • Which 29er to replace a ti 'all mountain' 26" hardtail?
  • futonrivercrossing
    Free Member

A Jones will handle anything we have on the south coast – and if you’re good enough, just about anywhere else too.

PimpmasterJazz
    Free Member

The only problem is once youv’e got used to a 29HT, you’ll be wondering on the merits of a 29FS

Not quite convinced there yet. 😉

just googled Kinesis Maxlight Sync That looks like a very nice trail 29er. The Ti 29er version of the Ti Holeshot maybe?

That is very, very saucy. That looks rather special. 😯

A Jones will handle anything we have on the south coast – and if you’re good enough, just about anywhere else too.

A friend is racing the Tour Divide on one at the moment. He’s smitten. 🙂

IvanDobski
    Free Member

FFS, if anyone posts a pic of this…

Sync I’ll be hard pressed not to start considering them again.
    Oh.

rewski
    Free Member

So you can see why I keep on about it now 😉

roverpig

OH, I think I’ve got it now 🙂

Based on all that I don’t think I would recommend the Kinesis FF29, which is what I have (along with a 26″ full suss). There that’s not so STW is it 🙂 The FF29 is certainly fast in a straight line and if you are willing to give up a bit of playfulness it does kind of fit the bill (with 120mm forks). But I still think you’d be happier on something a little less XC; a little slower maybe, but a little more fun.

The Sync may fit the bill, but the specs for that on the Kinesis web site are confusing. It mentions is being a bit slacker than the FF29 (ideal) but the numbers don’t bear that out.

What about the new Niner ROS9 or Yelli Screamy ?

mattjg
    Free Member

Beautiful as the Sync is it’s not quite there with the slack/short geometry that makes a fun 29er fun IMO.

If it was I’d probably buy one.

mattjg
    Free Member

What about the new Niner ROS9 or Yelli Screamy ?

That sounds like an excuse for a pikcher!

They are, however, twice the price of a Buzzard for near identical geometry and a small weight saving. Hard to justify.

HermanShake
    Free Member

The PA29er seems a heavy handed answer to moving toward something a bit mincier. I really liked my PA, and the other one I had but it’s a burly frame. The bigger version will be quite similar and there and more comfortable frames out there. My Blue Pig X is nicer in many ways to the PAs I had; more comfy, more clearance, routing options, 44mm headtube, bigger seat-tube, slackness etc. I would be very keen to check out the BigWig on this basis.

However you’ve got a lovely frame, I would get some lighter weight XC wheels like some Hope/Crests. Cheap atm:

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/hope-hoops-pro2-evo-mtb-wheelset/

Best of both mince & gnarr, swap your hoops aboot as needed and keep hold of that ti beauty.

Aren’t 29ers dead now with this 650bee27.5er business?

z1ppy

The only problem is once youv’e got used to a 29HT, you’ll be wondering on the merits of a 29FS

Unfortunately I am now in that situation….

While I have a limited experience of 29er, so can only tell you how mine (Whyte 929) feels compared to my 26-er’, I like the feel of trail bikes not XC. So a slackish bike was my target, something with a HA around 68 (which does not feel comparably slack as a 26er IMHO).
    I wanted it to be fun, but I’m no riding pro, and most of my riding is classic XC stuff, but even on climbs I prefer the whole ‘wobble around’ ride that blast up at warp speed.
    With an adjustable chainstay, I would echo a comment elsewhere that a really short (425mm in my case) chainstay make the wheel feel like it up your ar$e, and something around 440, is a very classic XC feel. Though the closer you get to the 425 (430 in my case), make the bike feels livelier (I know there more to frame geo, but that my basic take on it).
    So to me, the numerous recommendation for a classic angled, long 29er’s, do not make for a ‘fun’ bike (on one inbred… really?). That said a big heavy lump of a frame (Honzo jumps to mind) with all the right angles was not for me either, and the like of the Yelli/quarterhorse being more ‘bike’ than I need.
    Of course there’s the whole frame material angle too, I had thought my ali 929 was quite subtle, until it dried up and no matter how much more give a 29er wheel has, mines a very stiff frame.
    Feel free to flame my limited experience..

ps: The Buzzard does look a very interesting frame, going by my thoughts above

PimpmasterJazz
    Free Member

However you’ve got a lovely frame, I would get some lighter weight XC wheels like some Hope/Crests.

True, but I’ve already gone down that route. Two wheelsets – XT AMs with Spesh Purg/Butcher combo and Kings on 819s with whatever tyres I pop on for summer duties – probably either UST Larsens or UST Race Kings. 😉

The Buzzard does look a very interesting frame, going by my thoughts above

Ditto that…

PimpmasterJazz
    Free Member

DP

Cheezpleez

Gratuitous Buzzard pic…

Singular Buzzard 006

Muzzy
    Free Member

I also have no 29er experience, other than with the Whyte 929 that I got in March. Awesome bike, good at everything and best with chainstays at their shortist IMO. It’s an ideal 2nd bike to a 160 full-susser.
    I have to say I’ve been struggling to see what the specific advantages of the big wheels are. I admit, I felt obliged to get a 29er when looking for a hardtail, another victim of the marketing hype. I’m glad I did though because its a well sorted bike. Hard to get but I hear next year’s bikes may be available soon.

roverpig

They are, however, twice the price of a Buzzard for near identical geometry and a small weight saving. Hard to justify

Yeah, but they are lighter and they don’t have a braze on for the front derailleur on the wrong side of the seat tube 🙂 And they come in cool colours. You can’t put a price on that. Oh, actually, it looks as though you can and it’s £400 😮

mattjg
    Free Member

yeah for sure, I have a Yelli, I wouldn’t discourage anyone from getting one, the reviews and pitch for it are spot on. but for the kind of mere mortal for whom four hundred quid matters, is a Yelli worth 2 Buzzards? Nah.

roverpig

Fair point and I wouldn’t want to trivialize £400, but it’s not really two Buzzards is it? Once you look at the full build price that £400 extra on the frame may not look so bad, especially if you’ve scored a good deal on the forks or something.

But getting back to the point. How many 29ers are there with head angles around 68 degrees at 120mm and chainstays under 430mm ?

mattjg
    Free Member

Dno, it’s all subjective.

Side by side, if price wasn’t a factor, I’d take a Yelli. Just I always feel in these chats, for the sake of balance, I should disclose I paid more for my second hand Yelli Screamy (unwarrantied of course) than the cost of a new warrantied Buzzard. Personally I don’t care, I enjoy riding it, but if buying today, at that budget, I’d likely buy a Buzz.

The initial drawings of the Buzzard made it look, to my eyes, ‘burly’. I don’t do hucks I don’t need a burly bike. In the flesh though, it doesn’t look or ride that way (from a fairly brief ride).

You pays yer money you …

How many 29ers are there with head angles around 68 degrees at 120mm and chainstays under 430mm ?

Not many!

What I like about the Yelli is it’s not trying to please all the people. It’s like the Canfield bros said “sod the mass market let’s make the bike we want to ride”, and came out with a great design because of that. Other frames like the Solaris, Stache etc and so on feel a bit of a compromise on that basis, for no benefit either in my eyes.

Horses -> courses, of course!

PimpmasterJazz
    Free Member

I hate to say it, but I think the Singular is also better looking than a Yelli…

Gotama
    Free Member

Its not the prettiest that’s for sure and I’m another yelli owner but however much I get new bike itis that all disappears as soon as I ride it. I’ve dithered about chopping it in for a buzzard purely for aesthetic purposes, but I’m concerned about the prospect of replacing it with something that doesn’t ride as well and being left with buying the same thing again at the full price. For what it’s worth here is mine, forks soon to be replaced with Pikes or Trace depending on which boat gets here first!

mattjg
    Free Member

yeah the slightly bent seat tube is a bit more graceful, and the Yelli suffers from the direct mount FM block and a bit of a weld fest around the BB area to accommodate the straight seat tube

I quite like mine in stealth mode though, it was better with black bars. May get rid if the FM mount.

however much I get new bike itis that all disappears as soon as I ride

yup

_tom_
    Free Member

That orange buzzard looks nice. The yelli seems to have been smashed and squashed with the ugly hammer, looks bloody awful!

biff

Jeff Jones – of course I would say that – but Worland and Kesteven (and Chipps) and Davis all have good things to say about them. Wanna test ride? Works better than pics and specs and forum exchanges. Rigid (but not) so it’s frame and forks – old school frameset notions :O)

mattjg
    Free Member

ugly bikes FTW

biff

Frank The Welder?

PimpmasterJazz
    Free Member

I’m intrigued Biff, but it could be a bit difficult as I’m on the Isle of Wight. Otherwise i’d love to try one.

If you think we can sort something out, definitely drop me a line at pimpmasterjazz at yahoo dot com.

boxfish
    Free Member
    supersessions9-2
    Free Member

Oops – DP

is that the next step up from “oops wrong hole.” 😉

PimpmasterJazz
    Free Member

😳

honourablegeorge

Pimpmaster Jazz – Member

A gnat’s whisker under 6ft, 32″-ish inside leg. Frame is a 2011 L (18.5″), pre-ISCG mounts but otherwise identical to the frame currently on sale from Brodie

Damn – my 19″ Soul is as small as I’d go at 6’1″ – don’t think I’ll be making you an offer.

A third raw finish bike in the shed would have been nice, though….

Edit – some lovely pics on that Flickr

Alex

Neil – I dropped you a mail with my thoughts on the Solaris. You’re welcome to come and ride mine if you fancy a pilgrimage to way out west 😉 Be nice to catch up…

biff

PJ – I’ve emailed you. Jones test rides are possible. Anyone do email me, biff@yesweareontheweb.com, and STW – I’ve emailed you about an advert :OP

PimpmasterJazz
    Free Member

@honourablegeorge Damn – my 19″ Soul is as small as I’d go at 6’1″ – don’t think I’ll be making you an offer.

A third raw finish bike in the shed would have been nice, though….

If I went Solaris I’d go for a large, looking at the numbers. And on that note, the Holeshot has a effective TT of 24.2″. Not that I’m looking to sway you or nuffing… 😉

Al / Biff – thanks for your emails.

biff

I might be breaking some rules but this video has some lovely slow-mo in it for people pondering 29er trail manners… http://youtu.be/BoPO1EqmIyg

Wayne has some riding sorted at Glentress saturday for anyone in the area, Jones and Surly and some fat wheel variations https://www.facebook.com/EDSbikes – bit far for you Pimpmaster :O)

And Richard @ STW – yes – just need to sort my destination url :O)

PimpmasterJazz
    Free Member

I dunno. It’s only a days drive up the M1. 😉

Viewing 34 posts - 41 through 74 (of 74 total)

The topic ‘Which 29er to replace a ti 'all mountain' 26" hardtail?’ is closed to new replies.