• This topic has 9 replies, 6 voices, and was last updated 7 years ago by scud.
Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Where's good in Norfolk to holiday?
  • jekkyl

Looking at a weeks break in August around Norfolk (or down the coast a bit) and wondering where’s good to holiday as I’ve never been there before. After a sandy beach, bit of forest (thetford?) and other indoor and outdoor family attractions, standard stuff. We are a couple with a 6yr old and a one year old. Probably looking at a 2 bed holiday cottage or a static on park somewhere with a pool would do fine, so if you are able to suggest anything like that as well shoot.
    Thanks

scud
    Free Member

I live in North Norfolk about 8 miles from the coast.

Holkham/ Wells next the Sea beach has just been voted the best in the UK, massive expanse of sand and dunes for the kids to play in. You have the pretty town of Wells there (good fish and chips and ice cream), Holkham Hall with big playground, deer in the park etc.

If you base yourself in the area, then you have Sea Life Centre at Hunstanton, seal watching trips a but further along coast. Sandringham royal estate is good with the kids, lots of walks and again a huge playground.

You can travel to Thetford to ride bike, but there are some MTB trails at Sheringham (nice to ride over the cliff on the coastal path).

i would definitely recommend Bewilderwood for your daughter too.

Other than that there is a lot of little zoos, Dinosaur Park etc

This is a good website:
    http://www.dayoutwiththekids.co.uk/search.php?county=norfolk

Its only then 40-50 minute drive over to the other side of Norfolk, worth a day in Norwich as it’s an easy city to walk around, with castle etc and maybe have a day on a boat on the Broads too.

jekkyl

excellent detailed answer scud, thanks very much mate.

allthegear
    Free Member

I also live in Norfolk. Love it (though it’s not exactly ideal on the bike, obviously)

Can recommend all above, especially Bewilderwood. All the little villages west of Sgeribgham as far as King’s Lynn are good and possibly not quite as busy as those to the east.

Don’t neglect King’s Lynn itself even. There tends to be a lot going on in the Summer so do check out various websites for such things.

Rachel

metcalt

Following on from scud’s answer Kelling Heath is a good base for visiting those areas. It’s a caravan/holiday chalet site set in some amazing wood and heath land, there’s a halt station for the steam train which runs from Holt through to Sheringham and it’s not to far to travel to the likes of Hunstanton.

There’s a pool, restaurants and a few walking/bike trails. I’ve been a couple of times and loved it, not much phone signal though but that was a plus for me.

There’s a tank museum down the road which is pretty interesting too.

scud
    Free Member

There’s a pool, restaurants and a few walking/bike trails. I’ve been a couple of times and loved it, not much phone signal though but that was a plus for me.

Don’t expect much mobile signal anywhere outside of the towns, unsurprisingly it is pretty good along the North West Coast area where a lot of Londoners have holiday homes though.. (they’re easy to spot, they are the ones in green wellies and tweed)

pictonroad

Sandringham woods are fun for the kids too, lots of easy climbing trees, flat paths and hidden sculptures.

Coastal road from Old Hunstanton as far as Wells has a dozen pubs that are all fantastic to eat and drink in. Don’t go past Cromer, it’s bandit country. Do eat shellfish on the dock at Brancaster.

Old Hunstanton beach has lots of dunes to play in and rocks to jump on. Penny pushing in Thomas’s arcade on the front in Hunstanton is basically 6yr old Nirvana.

I grew up there, I miss it, the beaches are just exceptional.

Also, do a Norfolk search, this has been asked a few times and there is some good stuff in the other replies.

stumpy01

Loads of the north Norfolk coast would be great. Sheringham, Wells, Cromer, all along that bit….

As mentioned Kelling Heath is supposed to be one of the best campsite/holiday parks. We’ve tried several times to book & it’s always full though, so you might struggle getting in there especially during the school hols.

Hunstanton is always worth a day trip, there’s Holkham Hall & Castle Rising.

You can easily spend a day at Thetford wandering about – not sure if Bikeart hire out trailers for the little one….

jekkyl

thanks guys. Opportunities for cycling will be limited 🙁 “it’s a family holday” – however if someone is able to lend me L sized a bike and accompany me for an evening ride I might be able to slip away for a couple of hours. 😀 favour returned if you’re ever in Staffs.

scud
    Free Member

I’m 5’10” and can lend you anything from a SS road bike, normal road bike, MTB or a fat bike (which is great for riding along the beaches)?

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘Where's good in Norfolk to holiday?’ is closed to new replies.