Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • Where to stay near Glentress?
  • colournoise

Spending a week up near Laggan in the summer. Planning to stop off at Glentress on the way home for a couple of days and would like to get things organised and booked up in good time.

Anyone got any recommendations for where to stay in the GT/Inners area? Not TOO expensive, comfortable and preferably dirty biker friendly.

Any tips for places to eat and drink in the area would be most welcome too.

RobHilton
    Free Member

Home

Tends to book up very far in advance, but you might get lucky.

Edit: If you’re a Vegan animal lover type, it’s probly best to give it a wide berth due to the show chicken/fighting cock breeding thing they’ve got going on.

colournoise

That would do me fine, but I imagine Zoe (wife) will want something a little more ‘luxurious’. Was thinking a decent bike-friendly B&B or hotel.

Doesn’t have to be within riding distance of GT necessarily. Had a hotel-type place in Selkirk that had log cabins etc. lined up but their prices have gone through the roof.

weeble
    Free Member

Glentress Hotel, about 5 mins ride away or the McDonald (??) hotel at Cardona just down the road. By the way I’ve not stayed in either so don’t know what they are like

JRTG
    Free Member

Lots of bike friendly places very close by with bike wash, storage etc. not sure about min numbers though?

novaswift
    Free Member

backcroft b&b Chapel st Innerleithen Lovely hosts and handy for trails in Innerleithen as well ! info@backcroft.co.uk tell them Ian next door sent you!

brickwizard
    Free Member

Stayed in Barony castle last summer. Got a deal bed n breakfast family room for 4 £19 per adult kids free.
    It was great value pool spa theworks.
    located in Edleston approx 6 miles north of Peebles.
    I have heard its changed hands but might be worth checking it out

The-Duke

If you want something a bit more luxurious I can recommend the Caddon View guest house in Innerleithen

tommygunadam
    Free Member

What about the wigwams ? Right on the trail.

http://www.wigwamholidays.com/glentress_wigwams

marco
    Free Member

The Tontine Hotel in Peebles is very nice. About £50 per person inc breakfast if i remember right?
    Very nice breakfast too, and the owner is lovely. Welcomes bikers and i think they have a lock up and bike wash

Bregante

Another for the glentress hotel if nothing else, purely because it is literally at the bottom of the road so you can ride straight into the hotel and vice versa. Properly basic but clean rooms. Secure bike storage and a decent breakfast. We managed to get bed, breakfast and a quality evening meal for £50 ppn last July. You also benefit from the free “entertainment” as the owner drinks himself into oblivion on a nightly basis.

angryratio
    Free Member

+1 on the caddon view guest house
    super people running it, great views and a fantastic breakfast!

RopeyReignRider
    Free Member

The owners of the Bunkhouse mentioned above also have a little cottage they rent out. We had it in March a couple of years ago and it was a bargain price. It’s worth asking Dorinda about it..

colournoise

Bump for the Sunday evening post-puffer crowd.

Thanks to everyone else for the replies. Caddon View and Backcroft are the front runners so far.

BoardinBob

Another for the glentress hotel

Glentress Hotel isn’t a hotel anymore

http://home.btconnect.com/glentress/

Kit
    Free Member

Stayed in Barony castle last summer. Got a deal bed n breakfast family room for 4 £19 per adult kids free.
    It was great value pool spa theworks.
    located in Edleston approx 6 miles north of Peebles.
    I have heard its changed hands but might be worth checking it out

Yes they’ve changed hands, but the hotel has not suffered for it. Have just got back from a weekend conference I organised at the Barony, and it was superb. Very comfortable hotel, great staff, and the food in the restaurant was really very nice. You can also bike to Peebles along the old railway line, if you don’t want to pack the car up.

I think B&B there is around £70, but don’t actually know! If you stay there, say hello to Ruaridh the bar manager from me 🙂

novaswift
    Free Member

further to my earlier post Backcroft was around £35-£40 per night their internet is down at the minute so give them a call ask for Bob or Lesley

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

The topic ‘Where to stay near Glentress?’ is closed to new replies.