Viewing 31 posts - 1 through 31 (of 31 total)
  • Where to save weight?
  • xraymtb
    Free Member

Looking to trim some fat from my full susser without sacrificing the ride. Normally used for a mix of trail centres and light downhill tracks but would ideally be a few pounds lighter for all dayers.

Not sure where to start – where am I going to get most weight loss for my money without losing any downhill ability? Spec below.

Giant Reign frame – 2006
    Fox RP3 rear shock
    Fox TALAS 36 RC2 forks
    Easton EA50 stem
    RaceFace Evolve DH riser bars
    Hope Mono M4 disc brakes 180mm F&R
    Hope Pro 2 hubs w/ Mavic EX721
    Specialized Enduro 2.3 tyres
    RaceFace seatpost
    DMR Long Haul saddle
    Shimano XT shifters
    Shimano LX triple chainset
    Shimano LX front mech
    Shimano LX rear mech
    Shimano LX cassette and chain
    DMR V8 pedals 

monksie
    Free Member

Stem, bars and pedals are all hefty'ish. You could take a fair bit off by upgrading from LX to XT or XTR I would have thought.
    I'm sure others will be along with better ideas shortly.

neilsonwheels
    Free Member

Off your ass.?

M4's are lardy.

Andyhilton
    Free Member

Depends how heavy you are and how heavy you ride.

Have the pro2s built up onto a lighter rim

stem,bars,pedals,seatpost

swap the m4s for something lighter

jacko54321
    Free Member

cut an arm off, only problem is it may jeprodize control

midlifecrashes

721s for flows? V8 for Superstar nano magTi or wellgo mg1?

SpokesCycles
    Free Member

Lighter rims, like a Stan's flow.

Lighter forks, like a Revelation Maxle.

Lighter bars.

Lighter brakes, like XT.

br
    Free Member

XTR replacing non-XTR
    Easton carbon DH bars
    V12's c/w Ti axles (my LBS have a set in for £30)
    If not tubeless, go tubeless
    I-Beam seat and post

But tbh, probably a new frame – carbon probably.

RealMan
    Free Member

Have a poo as well.

Although if you're already a well pooed whippet, I'd go for lighter wheels first, tubeless, and someone suggested a rev, which would lose a lb or two.

takisawa2

I've just replaced 2.35 Kenda Nev / Blue Groove combo with 2.1 Small Block 8's & its taken almost a pound off the bike. Wouldnt fancy barreling down a hill with them on though. 🙂

Cant see you getting mcuh weight off without silly money being spent. Spec looks ok.

nickjb
    Free Member

Not huge savings there. You could maybe get some lightweight wheels and tyres and swap them depending on what kind of riding you plan to do that day.

B_Leach
    Free Member

+1 for switching out the DMR V8s to Wellgo MG1s (if you're set on keeping the same platform) or anything by superstar, because they're spot on pedals and with the Ti axle option available they're pretty light!

PJM1974
    Free Member

The cassette is probably a good place too, along with the riser bars and the tyres and the pedals.

If you're careful you can save yourself a pound easily here, more so if you swap to a tubeless setup. The rims are ripe for further weight savings too.

A good place to get a weight saving is to swap the saddle and post for an SDG I-Beam setup.

Northwind

Get onto Jensons for an Easton Monkeylite DH maybe, that should be a solid save. Lose the V8s, heavy but also not very good. And check the cranks, see how much heavier they are than SLX. Wheels are chunky but maybe you feel you need that? You'd lose something like 300g where it counts going to Flows, and get tubeless ability. And I'd ditch the M4s myself for something lighter and better.

epicyclo

Free weight loss – cut off any excess on your seat post.

maxray
    Free Member

It's a GIant Reign.. not exactly an xc bike. I would just lose a few pounds off your own weight, it'll only take 2 weeks of effort, no real cash outlay at all! 😀

If you are already a stick insect though I would go with a lighter frame.. What is the Reign .. about 7 or 8 lbs?

njee20
    Free Member

Everywhere, there's nothing light on there! Wheels will make the biggest difference. Cassette would be a cheap saving.

Then it's a case of how much you want to spend!

xraymtb
    Free Member

I'm not expecting a super light XC bike to come out of this – I bought the Reign to suit my riding – I just wouldnt mind it being a couple of pounds lighter for when I decide to do an all-day ride.

It seems pedals, stem/bars and rims are where I'm going to save the most – and maybe the saddle/seatpost.

I'll also look at a lighter cassette when its next needing replaced.

KINGTUT
    Free Member

It seems pedals, stem/bars and rims are where I'm going to save the most – and maybe the saddle/seatpost.

Lighter wheels will provide the improvement you are looking for (all day riding comfort). Lighter components whilst cumulatively will lighten the bike over all, lighter wheels will have the most noticeable difference.

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

If it's a Reign like this one

your biggest problem is the frame. They were silly heavy. Even the shorter travel one (Anthem?) of the time was something like a 7lb+ frame because of that big basket the shock sits in. When they redesigned it, they knocked god knows how much weight off…..!

KINGTUT
    Free Member

Shorter travel would have been the Trance no? The Anthem has always been pretty light.

ianpinder
    Free Member

The saddle, bars, stem, pedels will save you a b or two. then lighter wheels and tires to save the rest.

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

Yeah that is KT, Trance. I couldn't remember the name off the top of my head. Cheers!

I know a couple of people who have one. FFS don't ever try picking one up! 😯

duntstick
    Free Member

I went the other way with my 2007 Reign, it suits being built up heavier for rougher rocky trails. Similar in weight to a Nomad, doesn't flex like an Intense 6.6…….doesn't cost an arm and a leg!
    Frame weight only a problem if you try to weight weenie it for xc purposes/carpark comparisons. Soon to have Saint brakes too, to stop my lardy arse on the descents.

chakaping
    Free Member

The frame is the main culprit.

I've got the later version and it builds surprisingly light with a spec a lot like yours.

Maybe sell your frame and buy a newer s/h one, shouldn't cost you more than £150.

xraymtb
    Free Member

The frame is the same as Duntstick's, the model after the one PeterPoddy has. Lighter but still not as light as the recent Reign frames.

It's still rideable all-day – maybe I just need to be fitter – but lighter wheels cant do any harm when I'm not expecting to be doing anything too rough.

anjs
    Free Member

Could be fun getting a lX cassette of that hub

xraymtb
    Free Member

Probably obvious and I'll kick myself for asking but…

What is an IX cassette?

anjs
    Free Member

ops should read LX. The pro 2 hub has a alu freehub body and the shell cassette can bit into it making it a right pain to get off Hope recommends XT and higher.

mountainchub
    Free Member

I had some speccy enduros which I thougth were on the weighty side – I might be wrong. I think rolling resistance trumps weight, so better to have a lighter wheelset IMO.

I'm 16 stone and ride pretty much the same stuff as you – I run hope pro xc hubs on Mavic x719 rims, and they're usually shod with Conti Vert Pros. They're also 5 years old and still going strong – although I'm looking to get a new set next year.

xraymtb
    Free Member

Ah – an LX cassette.

I was aware of the issues with the cassette but this is my third with minimal damage to the freehub (fingers crossed). Might upgrade it next time anyway.

Viewing 31 posts - 1 through 31 (of 31 total)

The topic ‘Where to save weight?’ is closed to new replies.