• This topic has 29 replies, 23 voices, and was last updated 4 years ago by Marin.
Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 30 total)
  • Where to live in the European mountains? Is Morzine the default answer?
  • Day dreaming at this stage, but the long term goal is to get a place in the mountains of Europe. Cycling, both road and mountain, is the primary concern, with ski-ing a bonus, rather than a deal maker/breaker. Hiking etc would be nice, but again, is not a priority.

I’ve been to Morzine many times and it feels like the default choice – but where would you look? Is there somewhere in Switzerland or Austria that would be a better choice?

I’ve not been to the Pyrenees, so am I making an altogether wrong assumption that the Alps is best?

So, if you scooped the lotto, where would you be headed?

alpin
    Free Member

Lift assisted?

Italian/French riviera…. More year round riding. Beaches. Mountains. Ski resorts not far away, but mountains clear of snow for most of the year and when it does fall doesn’t hang around long. Winters are short.

Was in Finale for two months last year, Jan and Feb. Was still 17°C during the day in January. Perfect for riding. Was some snow fall towards the end of Feb that put a stop to anything above 800m.
    But still plenty of trails to ride lower down.

That would be, and is, my goal.

P-Jay
    Free Member

Ah the Lotto win dream!

I would choose PDS, but unless I really wanted to rent it out when I wasn’t using it, I wouldn’t bother with Morzine. Not that it’s not lovely, it’s just whilst day dreaming staring in the window of the local Estate Agents, anything that could be described as ski-in-ski-out (a VERY loose term tbh) is eleventy million euro, anything that’s a ‘short’ walk from the lifts is only a few quid less and stuff that’s a short drive away in say Montriond or heaven forbid in Taninges seems to be at least one decimal place cheaper.

There seemed to be a few isolated chalets just out of town, far enough out to be unsuitable for holiday lets that seemed peanuts in comparison.

kilo

I’d go Spain above Morzine every time, Sierra Nevadas if forced

mrmo
    Free Member

lottery win and some, val d’anniver or val d’hérens

pedlad

I’d be tempted by Italy I think

Good questions and responses. In honesty, as more of an XC, CX and roadie than DH or gnar rider, the lift assist is not a big deal.

Must add the Sierra Nevadas to the list of places to explore.

Should have said – the deal breaker is that there must plenty of cow bell in summer! Love that noise.

And yeah, year round riding would be more appealing than ski-ing I think.

leggyblonde
    Free Member

Briancon (Serre Chevalier) for me. Good skiing and MTB with world-class options nearby, amazing road riding, close to Italy and it’s a proper town.

pedlad

More specifically Alagna – lovely little authentic village with Monte Rosa masif behind for skiing and I assume good mtb. Trips over the tip to Zermatt. Learn to off piste ski properly. Eat Italian food. Perfect (fri pm dreaming)!

w00dster

Possibly Nice, maybe Girona. Tough decision to make. Probably Girona I think. Or maybe Nice.
    (remembers to go and buy a ticket for tonights £62m draw!)

ElShalimo

Luz St-Sauveur in the Pyrenees is lovely

duncancallum

Slovenia…

colp

We bought 7 years ago in Maria Alm, Austria (15 mins from Leogang). Property then was cheaper than France and cost of living definitely still is now. It’s still around €4 a pint for instance and there’s a Hofer (Aldi) 10 mins away.

Property prices have nearly doubled in our village since we bought but I still think you get more for your money than in French ski resorts. Our place is a 3 bedroom with a large living area, about 90m2 in total.
    It was 33c today, I went swimming with Mrs ColP in the local ski cannon reservoir while my lad went to Leogang with his mates. Here’s our cockerpoo having a swim

View post on imgur.com

We’re 3 hours from Italy, about the same from Slovenia, 6 hours from Rovinj in Croatia.

Salzburg airport is 1 hours drive, Munich 2 hours 10 mins.

Look a bit away from the famous ski resorts and you can still buy property reasonably.

alpin
    Free Member

My problem with Slovenia would be the language. Food ain’t bad, but I’d soon get bored of cevapcici. Doubt that would be the case with Italian grub.

Other areas to consider would be the Apuane Alps in the northern Tuscany and the the Apennini….. Lots of fantastic areas with low population. Peace a quiet guaranteed.

Also, have a look on Trail Forks and see how many trails there are in Italy….!

Caher

Without doubt Switzerland is fantastic for road and off-road but it’s really expensive. I know as I lived there for 5 years. And the Swiss are odd. As above Spain and the Sierra Nevada would suit me now. Swim in the Med in the afternoon.

TheBrick
    Free Member

Sinaia Romania. Uplift MTB. Load of natural riding and hiking. Skiing I. The winter. Cheap both property, food and beer.

cchris2lou

With big lottery win, definetly Nice.
    It has everything.

chakaping
    Free Member

Italy for sure.

deadkenny
    Free Member

Get the impression that Morzine is the alpine British ex-Pat town. Depends if that’s your sort of thing. Winter, it’s low down and not ski to the door a lot of the time. Though not being snowed in all winter is maybe an advantage. Then again, they know how to clear roads of snow unlike in UK.

aP
    Free Member

I’d be tempted by the southern Vosges.
    Not monster hills but decent. Quieter but still not so far from the UK, Germany and Switzerland.

cchris2lou

Ski resorts are crap to live in the spring and Autumn.

colp

Not in Austria they aren’t. Lifts open in May for biking and close at the end of October. There’s only late April / Early May and November / Early December that are dead.

alpin
    Free Member

As much as I appreciate a chair lift and a day in the park, I find the ski resorts look a bit lost and forlorn when there’s no snow around.

stevomcd
    Free Member

Bourg Saint Maurice!

nasher
    Free Member

Get an ebike and live on the Italian Riviera, it’s what I do

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

There is no logic to living in a ski resort. locals don’t live in them.

They are basically just full of tourists shipped in and workers shipped in, no community and costs are high for everything

Some where like Samoens is a happy medium though a proper town with strong community

Sandwich

Figueres, Girona, Olot or Sospel would be my choices.

The first two have fast train connections to France and the rest of Spain. Figueres has some nice routes out to the seaside on the Northern Side of the Cadaques peninsular.

MSP

i would rather live down in one of the bigger towns towards lake Geneva. far more facilities, still lots of good road and xc riding straight from the door. Only a short drive to many ski resorts for a days skiing in winter, or bike parks in summer, and the possibility to do some kayaking or dinghy sailing on the lake.

or Lake Annecy would be even better.

tjagain

Slovenia would be my choice.

Marin
    Free Member

LOve the Sierra Nevada but very brown in summer. Lot cheaper than the Alps though. Italian Alps I’ve experienced are great but not much of an ex-pat scene in my experience if you need that. Any building crews offering up painting and decorating work for next year in Alps I’m feeling very mobile at the moment and would happily move out!

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 30 total)

The topic ‘Where to live in the European mountains? Is Morzine the default answer?’ is closed to new replies.