Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • Where to buy a TV?
  • duckman

So split up with my wife a while back,but turns out the “lost” front door key wasn’t that lost after all. As such when I came home from a weeks hillwalking recently I needed a new telly 🙁 So it was a 40″ that went, so I need something bigger. Had a look on richer sounds, any other suggestions?

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

Erm the place that has the one you like the cheapest?

maccruiskeen

Have to say…… Flat screen TVs are so much more prone to breaking down than CRTs were I’d buy from where ever has the cheapest, best or longest warrantee- That means Richer Sounds if they still do their £10 extended warrantees or John Lewis.

I buy quite a lot of flat screens as part of my work – I only need a few but I have to buy them ‘quite a lot’ because of the rate they break down.

PiknMix
    Free Member

Buy it online, I worked for Panasonic for 6 years, I got a pretty good staff discount but I still got my tv online cheaper by several hundreds than my discount would have got me.

Plus the bigger tv’s usually have bluray and stuff packaged in that can be negotiated.

you need at least a 52″ though (room size depending) 😉

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

Every TV I have ever bought, or I know any one else has bought has NEVER gone wrong within 5 years.

dooosuk
    Free Member

Google LCD panel issues with Samsungs. Plenty of failures.

My 40″ has just gone at 4.5yrs old. Luckily bought from John Lewis and they’ve repaired it. Get it back next week.

darryl1983
    Free Member

Buy from John Lewis for the free 5 year warranty. They also price match places like Richer Sounds, if there is one local.

jon1973
    Free Member

Every TV I have ever bought, or I know any one else has bought has NEVER gone wrong within 5 years.

That doesn’t mean it never happens. I’d rather have the peace of mind, especially if there’s a free 5 year guarantee. We got ours from John Lewis and the price was pretty much the same as Amazon.

Sui
    Free Member

errmmm

duckman – Member
    So split up with my wife a while back,but turns out the “lost” front door key wasn’t that lost after all. As such when I came home from a weeks hillwalking recently I needed a new telly So it was a 40″ that went, so I need something bigger. Had a look on richer sounds, any other suggestions?

old bill…..?

anyway, find the model(s) you think you like then google it..

edit to add – my Samsung has been going strong for 8 years now, the last 2 with my daughter hitting it with hammer and still working..

toby1

I’m with Sui – sod just replacing it – call the police, you have been burglarised!

mav12
    Free Member

Mine broke after 11 months was taken away fixed returned in a couple of days with jl developed a. Fault with about 3 months gaurantee left could not be repaired jl offered a equivelent replacement or part refund

crazy-legs

I got mine at John Lewis.
    Couldn’t fault the service or the deal, they’ll price match and everything has the 5 year warranty.

Del

rude cow.
    get a new lock fitted before you replace the TV.

tinsy
    Free Member

Sainsburys have them cheap at the mo, 3D ones too, and named brands.

rogg
    Free Member

Richer Sounds.

You can claim the cost of the extended warranty back if you don’t use it in 5 years.
    Wonder how many people do though – I’d be eligible this year, but I’ve got no idea where the paperwork is.

catsplums
    Free Member

I have used rgb direct on a few occasions for stuff and have been very very good on price.

Neil-F
    Free Member

Makro, if you know someone with a card.

pmc00per
    Free Member

Richer sounds charge 10% of the purchase cost for a five year warranty. Get a price from them and get John Lewis to price match it. They throw the warranty in for free, so you effectively save 10%

eyerideit
    Free Member

I’d recommend John Lewis, the tv we bought was no slightly cheaper at places like Richer Sounds but at JL you get 5 year guarantee – which costs about £150-£200 everywhere else.

You can’t argue with that kind of value.

EDIT you should listen to pmc00per, he knows what he’s on about!
    EDIT2 and Darry
    EDIT3 and Crazy legs – All wise words

duckman

Del – Member
    rude cow.
    get a new lock fitted before you replace the TV.

POSTED 9 HOURS AGO # REPORT-POST

Yes done; JL as well, since I get to finally choose what I watch on the thing, so don’t want it not working.

sharkbait
    Free Member

Costco also good. Prices are right and 5 year guarantee. I bought a Samsung from them when they only did a 3 year warranty (everyone else was still on 12 months) and it went bang after nearly 5 years….. Even though it was out of any guarantee they gave me a full refund!

But you need to be a member 🙁

Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)

The topic ‘Where to buy a TV?’ is closed to new replies.