Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • Avid BB7 ROAD with full length outers??
  • organic355
    Free Member

Can you do this?

The little bag that comes with them says you got to install the barrel adjusters at the 1st cable stop, but my frame is designed for full length outers on the brakes, so can I install the barrel adjuster at the brake end?

druidh
    Free Member

My Sutra came set up with full length outers. The Amazon has a break along the top tube.

I have in-line adjusters mounted just below where the cables exit the bar tape, which means I can adjust them whilst riding.

cynic-al
    Free Member

fine

organic355
    Free Member

dont the adjusters need to be at a “stop” to have something to resist against?

Any issue in running the bb7 roads without the barrel adjusters? They do feel a bit slack at the moment.

organic355
    Free Member

cynic-al fine what? fine to install right at the brake caliper? or dont need them at all?

cynic-al
    Free Member

oh sorry I didn’t read the OP proper 😳

I run inline adjusters. the full length bit is fine. I think they are handy but not essential, esp if you have barrel adjusters on the levers.

druidh
    Free Member

organic355 – Member
    dont the adjusters need to be at a “stop” to have something to resist against?

Not the ones that I got with mine. You place them anywhere along the length of the cable. When you twist the outer it “unscrews” the inner to make the cable outer effectively longer.

Edit: I’m not trying to be smart/antagonistic/condescending, but you are asking a lot of fairly basic set-up questions. It’s great that you are taking the time to learn how to build/maintain your bike, but I would suggest that you might want to take it to a decent bike shop to have them give it a once-over, just to confirm everything is OK/safe/properly installed.

clubber
    Free Member

mine is installed at the top of the stays. eg in the middle of my “full length” outer. works fine.

Nipper99
    Free Member

I have BB7s with full length outers and they don’t have any barrel adjusters – thought they weren’t supposed to have them.

austinburner
    Free Member

I run them on my pure blood full otters, no stops or Barrel adjusters.

simondbarnes

I’ve never used barrel adjusters.

organic355
    Free Member

Everyone is reading the ROAD bit right?

Anyway I misread the instructions, they are inline adjusters and it says to pick a point between the lever and the 1st stop. I thought it meant at the 1st stop. I don’t have any stops so will just install the near the levers.

Just when I thought I was finished. Gonna ride it tomorrow without the though, should be ok right? Just not as sharp braking?

scaredypants

Just when I thought I was finished. Gonna ride it tomorrow without the though, should be ok right? Just not as sharp braking?

depends; what levers ?

druidh
    Free Member

organic355 – Member

Anyway I misread the instructions, they are inline adjusters and it says to pick a point between the lever and the 1st stop. I thought it meant at the 1st stop. I don’t have any stops so will just install the near the levers.Perfect.

If the brakes are set up correctly, it will make no difference. The adjusters are used when the pads start to wear or for fine-tuning the adjustment over time.

scaredypants

depends; what levers ?

Ah, just seen your other thread.
    As Druidh says, they’ll work fine if you set ’em up well as those are road levers

however

New cables/caps etc tend to “settle” a bit very early on IME and with no adjusters you’re going to have to reset the cable at the calipper, so take an allen key

simondbarnes

I was. My answer still stands.

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

The topic ‘Avid BB7 ROAD with full length outers??’ is closed to new replies.