Viewing 40 posts - 121 through 160 (of 185 total)
  • Where are we all going on holiday?
  • doomanic

your use of such terminology as “holibobs” reserves you a special place in STW hell

Is ta-ta-hot-hots OK instead?

matt_outandabout

matt_outandabout

@colp – I’m not in Saalbach, just two oab_boys.. I’m sure they will be up for a ride. 🤘
    If you have any local ideas for cheap/free camp spots, they would welcome them. PM if needed.

colp

If you have any local ideas for cheap/free camp spots, they would welcome them. PM if needed.

Don’t know about cheap or free but the camp site at Zell is a cracking location.

https://www.seecamp.at/de/?fb_locale=tr_TR%5C%5C%5C%5C%5C%5C%5C%27A%3D0

Another good option is the Leogang car park.
    There’s a dedicated camping area and the main lift building has really good showers etc

baldiebenty
    Free Member

Madeira in 2 weeks time provided that easyjet don’t have different plans. First holiday in about 20 years and my last passport expired 5 years ago. Also my first ever mtb trip anywhere more exotic than bike park wales.
    Should be interesting at least!

matt_outandabout

@colp – cheers, and ygm

sirromj

Ourgate special probiholibobily.

33tango

Currently 3 weeks in Spain with some of the family. Then 3 weeks, alone, in Ireland in September. After almost 15 years in Sweden, I’m looking forward to spending much more time in both those places from now on 😎

reeksy

Crows Nest National Park in Queensland currently. Freezing temps at night but sunny as you like in the day. Cooking on open fires. The only annoying part is the noisy boomers making speakerphone calls all the time.

batfink
    Free Member

Crows Nest National Park in Queensland currently

Nice!

We are up in Noosa next weekend – not been before – and it’s our first time out of NSW since the start of “the recent unpleasantness”. The kids can’t remember ever being on a plane, so that should be fun too. Am expecting a version of byron: Looking forward to sunrise yoga and some w*nker coffee

notsospeedydaz
    Free Member

This is the year catching up on all the covid delayed trips, haven’t taken any refunds just moved them

Went to corralejo a few weeks ago with other half. Seamed strange getting on a plane after so long.
    Avoided covid all this time a tested positive when I got home!

Off to whiteroom mtb on 16 July, feeling a bit nervous of big mountains after lots of local riding for past 2 years

Holiday in tenerife in August with wife and friends 16 of us with little people first time going away in school hols 😂

September a week in normandy on a eurocamp site with a bit of fishing, bimbling around on bikes with wine

reeksy

: Looking forward to sunrise yoga and some w*nker coffee

There’s some similarities, except it’s a bit flasher I guess. Lots of triathletes and roadies, but some good riding at Tewantin though.

mos

My persistent aviaphobia is keeping me in the UK for the 17th year on the bounce. Heading to woolacombe for a week and will be interested to see if it’s a bit less busy than last year due to more peeps heading abroad.

DaveyBoyWonder
    Free Member

Already done Bude (in Kirsty Allsopp’s house) for a week and Isle of Wight for a week. Down in Bude again (well, Widemouth) in August in a place overlooking the sea on top of the clifftops which is going to be epic and then back down there in October. 3x to Bude this year almost purely by accident!

DaveyBoyWonder
    Free Member

My persistent aviaphobia is keeping me in the UK for the 17th year on the bounce.

We’ve not been abroad for hols for the last 9 years (9 years this week in fact!). The UK offers so much for us although we are looking at France (gite with a pool and maybe a fishing lake) maybe next summer and I want to take the kids to the Balearics, Croatia and/or Greek islands ASAP.

I reckon you’ll find it a LOT less busy. We were in the Isle of Wight at May half term and it was dead. Chatting with cafe owners etc we all thought the same thing – relaxing of travel restrictions and the mental cost of accommodation in the UK since Covid has meant people have flocked abroad. Makes sense – we’ve got friends who went to Majorca in a villa in the mountains above Soller for the same price as a place in Devon for a week in May.

freeagent
    Free Member

mental cost of accommodation in the UK

Is the reason we’re driving to Italy again.
    14 nights on a huge campsite on the edge of lake Garda in a air-conditioned chalet = 2500EUR
    Have you seen how much 2 weeks in a house/mobile home in Devon costs in the School hols?

DaveyBoyWonder
    Free Member

Absolutely – and why we’re considering abroad next year. Theres a great house in Braunton we stayed at the summer before Covid. Was £1600ish for the week (slept 7, split between 2 familes it was ideal). Its now over £3k for the same week in the summer hols and looking at the bookings, I don’t think they have any free weeks…

dudeofdoom

My persistent aviaphobia is keeping me in the UK for the 17th year on the bounce. Heading to woolacombe for a week and will be interested to see if it’s a bit less busy than last year due to more peeps heading abroad.

I loathe flying and have trained to Spain,or ferried to Spain without cars.

I just think the uk weather is erratic and the pricing high.

esselgruntfuttock
    Free Member

3x to Bude this year almost purely by accident!

We’ve got free holidays in Bude should we so desire, wife’s daughter lives there. 😎

10 nights in Dorset is costing us circa £350 plus fuel and spends, but obviously we are dragging our own accomodation with us

johndoh
    Free Member

14 nights all inclusive on Rhodes island staying at a nice hotel in a room with a swim-up infinity pool and unbroken sea views. It’s not exactly the flashiest hotel in the world, but it looks pretty decent. I can’t wait.

DaveyBoyWonder
    Free Member

We’ve got free holidays in Bude should we so desire, wife’s daughter lives there.

We’ve looked at buying somewhere down there. Its great Bude… big enough to have everything you need close by, ace beaches and surf, decent places to eat but some half decent riding and fishing etc if you’re into that kinda thing. Place seems to have a nice little vibe.

matt_outandabout

relaxing of travel restrictions and the mental cost of accommodation in the UK since Covid has meant people have flocked abroad.

Indeed. Even after a 22 hour, £750 ferry and 600 mile drive, our fortnight in Spain will be cheaper than our Hebridean holiday last year.
    And fingers crossed our accommodation wont be as shonky, ill prepared and dirty as the £1200 a week cottage we had on Harris last year…

esselgruntfuttock
    Free Member

We’ve looked at buying somewhere down there

Watch this space. Her & her husband aren’t getting along. I can see a house coming up for sale before long.
    She keeps badgering us to go down, my Mrs worked down there years ago & we called in a few years back whilst on holiday near Port Isaac. Trouble is we have no desire to return to Cornwall. Very overrated In our opinion.
    Each to their own though.

Tracey

We have finally arrived at Lake Lugano on the first leg of the bike trip

It’s been a longtime coming as we moved all the booking on from June 2020. Figured at the time it was best to let the campsites keep the monies rather than refund. The risk was they could have folded but if our bit helped them through the hard times the risk was wort it.
    Tunnel was via Tesco vouchers. Main meals are all precooked and frozen so no messing about after a day in the mountains.
    The only extra is the difference in fuel prices compared to 2 years ago

AD

Centreparks for weekend – wife and son are bickering already 🤣 And that’s before we pick up daughter from school and then meet up with in-laws.

Happy days!

gnusmas

Nowhere as usual, will be trying to keep the kids entertained locally which will be fun.
    Did just about manage a few days just before Easter, they missed some school but it is what it is. Even that was a stretch and pretty stressful for me. Apart from that I can’t remember the last time we had a holiday.
    Never been abroad either so wouldn’t know where to start even if I had the chance. Some of the holidays mentioned look and sound great though

Centreparks for weekend – wife and son are bickering already 🤣 And that’s before we pick up daughter from school and then meet up with in-laws.

That sounds like a very expensive way to be miserable and not much in the way of an actual holiday 😭😂

esselgruntfuttock
    Free Member

Never been abroad either

How old are you?
    I never managed to get abroad until I was 41. Too tied up being self employed.

wheelsonfire1

Hey @gnusmas ! I’ve not had a passport for years and don’t seem to be any the worse for it! We’ve found lots of places to go in Britain, and been practicing enjoying where we are, which is why I started the positivity thread. Lots of people can’t afford to go anywhere or have the time, I know there’s a lot of people on here doing some very expensive and exotic stuff – I hope they’re not bragging but just excited! I intend introducing my grandson, when he’s a bit older, to picnics and camping in the garden, pond dipping and making dens. The best holidays come with love mate!! I’m sure your children know that.

gnusmas

@esselgruntfuttock I’m 45

@wheelsonfire1
    yeah I know what you mean. I’ve taken all the comments as excitement and something to look forward to. Hopefully I’ll be able to have some days out with them doing something and give them some enjoyment

Andy_B

Argentina, mainly Patagonia and Iguazu Falls before flying home from Rio. Any advice welcome as we’re just trying to plan out the Patagonia part. First time going out of Europe for about 4 years.

Also off to Copenhagen for a weekend, mainly chosen as the only place with reasonable times and prices on the bank holiday weekend and car hire not needed. We couldn’t stomach paying £500 for 3 days car rental in Cork.

csb

@gnusmas those days out will be memorable to the kids. If I remember you’re in S Wales? That’s holidays ready made! A day out at Southerdown is wonderful.

colournoise

As a household of teachers, it’ll be our usual school summer break road trip in the van with the dog. This year’s plan is…

Jedburgh.
    Kilmartin Glen for some prehistory shenanigans.
    Glencoe (taking in biking at Aonach Mor and Laggan).
    Craster.

Then home for results days.

Hoping for a few days at Rhayader at the end of the six weeks too.

northernsoul

For us it’s the Lakes x 2: 12 nights in a cottage in Far Sawrey at the end of July, plus a week at Great Langdale campsite at the end of August. The first one is based around my OH who is doing the Lakeland 50; the second has become a bit of a family tradition – it’s the week between the birthday of my eldest child and the start of school and it started as a way for him to have some one on one parent time after our youngest was born.

twonks

After years of log cabins in N Wales, this week we are having a change and rented a lakeside house in Coniston.

So far it’s wanged it down and looks like to be doing so until we go home on Friday.

Should have stayed at home!

thestabiliser
    Free Member

Are you made of sugar? Good cumbrian liquid sunshine, this. Get yer waterproof on and get out.

iainc

First day in our usual neck of the woods !

Mister-P
    Free Member

I’ve got a week of camping in Cornwall booked for the end of July. I’ll have another week camping somewhere in September when the kids go back to school. It will be just me, my surfboards, bikes and SUP.

blokeuptheroad

Is anyone getting a ferry to Normandy ports in the summer?

We’ve not booked yet but I’m getting a little twitchy about potential interruptions/Brexit/queues etc.

Yep. Portsmouth to Caen on Sunday. Motorcycle with rider and pillion. I’m a little twitchy myself, but all fingers and toes crossed!

Currently halfway across the channel. Zero delays or hassle.

Viewing 40 posts - 121 through 160 (of 185 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.