Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 51 total)
  • Where are all the 650b hardtails?
  • Conan257
    Free Member

I’m after one but the online shops don’t seem to be selling them!

CRC, Wiggle, Merlin, JE James, Evans, Stif, BikeScene… All barren when it comes to 650b hardtail frames…

Is 650b only for FS?!

wwaswas

I think the frame only market doesn’t work to the same model year cycle that the complete bike companies do?

Yetiman
    Free Member

Saracen Zen? There’s also the new Pace hard tail but I’m not sure if it has been released yet.

Yetiman
    Free Member

Doh! Scratch the Zen off the list, for some reason I thought it was available as a frame but it doesn’t look like it.

kimbers

kona explosif, if I had the cash id be getting one, shame they arent doing the raw version this year 🙁

edd

Orange Crush. £350 for the frame.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

2 hypothesise

1) hardtails are inherently rubbish (in ‘going faster’ terms), and cheep, therefore marketing has little to do with selling them,a nd little interest in selling them.

2) you can fit a 29er rear wheel in a hardtail without extending the chainsays much (if at all) beyond the traditional 16.5″ – 17″, so there’s no advantage in geometry either (FS bikes being harder to package).

On-One 45650b coming soon though?

ratherbeintobago

2) you can fit a 29er rear wheel in a hardtail without extending the chainsays much (if at all) beyond the traditional 16.5″ – 17″, so there’s no advantage in geometry either (FS bikes being harder to package).

This has probably got something to do with it., though I think the Giant HTs are all offered in 650B

Aye; non-tapered 1 1/8 headtube for some reason though.

PimpmasterJazz
    Free Member

There’s been at least once case of a Dialled Alpine being set-up 650b.

breatheeasy
    Free Member

I’d guess pretty much the same as what thisisnotaspoon says – the only real reason for 650 I can see is that 29er wheels didn’t lend themselves very well to longer travel suspension frames.

The hardtails will come once the initial rush of full bouncers are out.

shermer75
    Free Member

Surly frames like the Troll and the 1×1 take tweener wheels

Conan257
    Free Member

I’d buy one of those Explosif’s…….

But again, not available as a frame only option that I’ve seen.

bikeneil
    Free Member

650 hardtails are a step back from 29ers. They offer no advantages.

larrythelathe
    Free Member

Friend of mine owns http://www.birdmtb.co.uk they look nice and sorted

steve_b77
    Free Member

Kinesis sync in ickle size is 650b

brant
    Free Member

Aye; non-tapered 1 1/8 headtube for some reason though.

44mm headtube for tapered forks actualy.

eshershore
    Free Member

@bikeneil

^agreed.

29’er is actually the most sensible choice for a hardtail because the larger wheels really benefit the hardtail rider; much more than running larger wheels on a FS bike

deluded
    Free Member

larrythelathe – Member

Just checked out the Fb page – looks promising.

ratherbeintobago

44mm headtube for tapered forks actualy.

Is it the 456 Evo 2 I’m thinking of, then?

Conan257
    Free Member

650b can come up at 28″, so I don’t see *that* much difference of a move onto 29″…

That, and I think this will be a stage for me to move onto a FS 650b at some point in the future…

chiefgrooveguru

650b can come up at 28″, so I don’t see *that* much difference of a move onto 29″…

It’s 559mm, 584mm, 622mm respectively, in other words the 650b is 1″ (25mm) larger than the 26 and 1.5″ (38mm) smaller than the 29. So once you add the tyres the total diameter is either 26″, 27″, 28.5″ or 26.5″, 27.5″, 29″. With typical modern tyres the 26.5, 27.5, 29 description is closest!

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Larry, does that mean you’re near swinley and have a lathe?

ska-49
    Free Member

The explosif 650b exists. No need for anything else.

orena45

Yetiman – Member
    Doh! Scratch the Zen off the list, for some reason I thought it was available as a frame but it doesn’t look like it.

It is for 2014

Conan257
    Free Member

The explosif 650b does exist, but find anything other than XS or XL in stock!

….and after that, I’m looking for a frame only option… Which doesn’t exist.

kimbers

Frame only is available in the states

Wish I could find a 17 inch !

chris_db
    Free Member

Just get a Crush!

razorrazoo

larrythelathe – Member

Just checked out the Fb page – looks promising.

They’ve had good reviews from those that have test ridden. Bikes look proper nice in the flesh too and the guys have spent loads of time getting the geo sorted. Would be top of my list if I was shopping for a HT.

bigrich

just get a soul.

PrinceJohn

650 hardtails are a step back from 29ers. They offer no advantages.

Given that 26ers are getting rare a hen’s teeth, 650 is going to be pretty much the only choice.. if you don’t want a 29er.

thegnarlycenturion
    Free Member

without wanting to start a war, i thoroughly disagree about 650B offering no advantages for a hardtail rider. as a hardtail rider (ofc i am not representative of every rider) i have seen many 29 wheels fold after a bad landing and despite riding many 29ers have never bought one as i miss the agility of the 26 and the ability to put my wheel between two roots to provide a kicker rather than just roll over them. In both cases 650B is better than 29er still by a long way.

Whether 650B should be sold is another story entirely, but seeing as the frame i want only comes in 650B, i will be buying that, dosnt feel too different (from 26) small speed increase and i dont have a host of spare forks/wheels to make the switch a pain.

orena45

Ooh, don’t forget the new Genesis one too – High Latitude LT

18Bikes had it listed the last time I checked.

bikeneil
    Free Member

Given that 26ers are getting rare a hen’s teeth, 650 is going to be pretty much the only choice.. if you don’t want a 29er

Not wanting a 29er doesn’t make 650b’s better :mrgreen:

Conan257
    Free Member

I like the Bird Zero… But would want it in steel 🙁

larrythelathe
    Free Member

Thisisnotaspoon yes to both

Sancho
    Free Member

I’ve just got a 17″ explosif and we have a couple of 19″ ones in stock
    Got to say I love it

nikk
    Free Member

1) hardtails are inherently rubbish (in ‘going faster’ terms), and cheep, therefore marketing has little to do with selling them,a nd little interest in selling them.

Uh what now?

Plenty of very fast hardtails. And plenty of very expensive hardtails. And plenty of fast, expensive hardtails. Go watch an XC race.

nevermindthebutter
    Free Member

Giant XTC and Scott 710 both come in 27.5, both with 69deg HA, sub 17″ CS, both 10kg or less depending on how much cash you splash.

Mates who have them say they spin up much faster than their old 29ers… none of that ‘dragging a dead hooker feeling’.

beagle
    Free Member

Chromag Samurai 65. Mmmmmm.

I’m thinking of putting 650b on my Chromag Stylus, at least when I change the full suss in a couple of years I’ll have a wheel set already built. The Stylus is built to take 2.7 inch tyres, there’s plenty of room and its been done before.

Conan257
    Free Member

Yes yes yes, plenty of 650b bikes around, but where are all the frames?!

More specifically, where are teh 17/18″ steel hardtail 650b frames with tapered headtubes that are designed for 140/150mm forks?!

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 51 total)

The topic ‘Where are all the 650b hardtails?’ is closed to new replies.