Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • When you just can't wait for that special holiday…
  • globalti
    Free Member

All my life I’ve climbed Scottish mountains and looked out at the islands and wondered how it would be to explore them by boat. Then as a wedding present a friend gave us the very excellent The Scottish Islands by Hamish Haswell-Smith, which only increased my interest.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Books-The-Scottish-Islands-Bestselling-Island/dp/1847672779

Now it’s happening! An old friend has got a Swallow Boat with a cabin and on 15 May I’m meeting him at Rhu marina, just west of Helensburgh, and we’re going to spend a week exploring the lochs and islands then sailing through the Crinan Canal, along the south shore of Islay stopping off at the varous bays, each of which has a distillery, then finishing in Oban where he’s going to join a Swallow Boats regatta. This will be just a few days after my 60th birthday, so a fitting way to mark a milestone. We plan to sleep in the cabin or ashore in a tent or B&B, whatever comes up. May is traditionally good in Scotland with anticyclonic weather, warm sun and no midges… fingers crossed.

My pal was given a bottle of malt a few years ago, which came with a form to fill. He sent it back to the distillery and in exchange received the title deeds to one square foot of Islay, which the distillery rents from him for one dram a year. So naturally we plan to call in to collect the rent….

perchypanther
    Free Member

Have you considered Centre Parcs instead?

Drac

Does your wife have a nice surprise for you!

globalti
    Free Member

She’s organising a bike race on the track at Steven Burke Sports Hub for me and about 15 cycling pals followed by a ride over Pendle Hill to Downham where there will be a barrel of Bowland Gold and a slap-up roast dinner. This summer’s going to be terrible for me.

Drac

That’s what you think.

swavis

I don’t mean to wee on your camp fire but it’s not been that cold up here, there’ll be plenty midges by May…

Sounds a brilliant trip though, enjoy! Just don’t forget the Smidge 😉

globalti
    Free Member

I was thinking that…. there won’t be midges out on the sea with a sailing breeze but they might bother us moored up in some remote bay in the evening though. Mozzie coils, a net over the hatch and some DEET will be needed, I’m sure.

growinglad
    Free Member

Sounds great.

Enjoy.

fannybaws
    Free Member

sounds a good trip. post up your rough plan for some local knowledge if you want. anchorages = wreck bay/ caladh harbour in the kyles etc

enjoy

bikebouy
    Free Member

Beautiful area, I’ve raced around Britain and whilst we were offshore at 10 miles you could see what a beautiful place it really is.
    One day I might charter something and go back.

Enjoy 😀

MrWoppit
    Free Member

sharkbait
    Free Member

Sounds great – once you’ve done that I can strongly recommend Croatia, 29c sea temp!

globalti
    Free Member

Woppit’s got it!

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘When you just can't wait for that special holiday…’ is closed to new replies.