Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 142 total)
  • When will the Ice Bucket Challenge fad pass?
  • franksinatra

It is getting very boring now. Not funny and certainly not challenging.

kimbers

I nominate franksinatra

ricky1
    Free Member

Who cares?

franksinatra

Who cares?

You care enough to read a thread about it and comment on it…

Drac

Don’t think it’s supposed to be challenging just something to get your attention. Which it has. Raising 30m or whatever it is in the mean time pretty good.

Don’t worry it’ll soon go and you can get on with your exciting life.

surroundedbyhills
    Free Member

The new challenge is to find ways of complaining about the old one, with out mentioning that it has done it’s job, superbly.

augustuswindsock

I think it’s great, it’s an inspired way of raising money for charity, the fact that it’s gone global shows just how connected we are in an era when we could be led to believe we’re on the brink of killing each other, it reminds me that most people in the world just want to feel part of something positive and get on with each other irregardless of ethnicity, nationality, religion or whatever. I’m not saying it’s going to bring world peace pr anything, but it’s a little glimmer of positivity!

franksinatra

Charity blah blah. It is properly cluttering up my news feed on FaceBook, that is the bigger problem 😉

Raising 30m or whatever it is in the mean time pretty good.

Fair enough.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Raising 30m or whatever it is in the mean time pretty good.

Very much so. However, how many of those doing this aren’t donating a bean and are merely doing it for teh lolz? See also; movember, nomakeupselfies, etc ad nauseum.

eddiebaby
    Free Member

Movember? ha! This year I planned to get circumcised for Jewly. Instead I compensated by donating to needy women in Whoregust.

surroundedbyhills
    Free Member

😆

BigButSlimmerBloke
    Free Member

eddie wins the internet for today

yunki
    Free Member

How many aren’t donating a bean?

I dunno… Several? Maybe even a few..

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

😀

martinhutch

Are you ready for the cold finger challenge in Proctober?

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

What’s everyone got planned for Dismember?

Drac

Very much so. However, how many of those doing this aren’t donating a bean and are merely doing it for teh lolz? See also; movember, nomakeupselfies, etc ad nauseum.

How dare they have fun.

thegreatape
    Free Member

Who cares, as a child of the 70s I’m looking forward to Fanuary.

fasthaggis

Just been nominated ,so I will dress as a Border Reiver in honour of the OP

I will try and have no fun.

stumpyjon

When will the Ice Bucket Challenge fad pass?

Already passed me by, no idea what it is, been on holiday for two weeks, come back and everyone is wittering about ice buckets.

MaryHinge
    Free Member

I’ve been nominated apparently. I’m old though and don’t actually understand it, nor really care.

In fact I’m so old i’ll probably have a hearty.

A mate is doing it later after our run, so I’ll probably do it then, but not nominate anybody as I have few friends as it is. I probably won’t donate any money either. How would I donate anyway?

What was it again?

Did I mention I’m old?

Cougar

From Wikipedia,

After the Ice Bucket Challenge went viral on social media, public awareness and charitable donations to ALS charities soared. The New York Times reported that the ALS Association had received $41.8 million in donations from July 29 until August 21. More than 739,000 new donors have given money to the association, which is more than double the $19.4 million in total contributions the association received during the year that ended January 31, 2013.[27] Similarly, the ALS Therapy Development Institute reported a ten-fold increase in donations relative to the same period in 2014,[28] with over 2,000 donations made in a single day on August 20, 2014, while Project ALS reported a 50-fold increase.[29]

Terrible fad, I can see why it must be so traumatic for you to read about.

GrahamS

MND Association tweeted this morning that they’d raised 600k with 166k of that in the past 10 hours.

Then tweeted a few hours later that they had “sailed past £700k”.

I’m quite happy to contribute to “a fad” like that.

I probably won’t donate any money either. How would I donate anyway?

For MND Association donations you just text “ICED55 £5” (or any other amount) to 70070

Onzadog
    Free Member

ALS is known as motor neurone disease in the UK if that helps.

Drac

Already passed me by, no idea what it is, been on holiday for two weeks, come back and everyone is wittering about ice buckets.

Yeah it’s only been running a week or so, you’ve not missed out much and it’s not hard to work out.

BobaFatt
    Free Member

people are giving money to charity, you don’t have to watch the videos…..you know, like Top Gear

We did Movember at work, it was a laugh and we raised some money. The women at work then reciprocated by taking part in Vaganuary which certainly brightened up a usually dull month.

Jamie
    Free Member

Not a good day for franksinatra.

First he is suggesting tapping up a young lady for sexual favours in lieu of car repairs, and now this.

At least he did it his way, tho.

[video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1t8kAbUg4t4[/video]

GrahamS

If you’d rather not give via text message for some reason then you can also donate via the JustGiving website:

https://www.justgiving.com/icebucket4mnd/

Where the MNDA total is currently £758,361.26 😀

kcal

initially sceptical, or at least a bit ‘meh’ ;

however son, daughter and then myself (I didn’t see that coming!) did the water throwing bit in the garden yesterday, was a bit of harmless family entertainment and some charities benefitted..

maxtorque

Someones really not looking forward to getting nominated:

😉

singletrackmind

Just been told to bring a pair of boardies and a towel to work tomorrow as I have been nominated apparently.
    Tempted to the them to eff off. I give to Charity every month, and each year choose a different one to support.
    This year its the Hampshire and Isle of Wight air ambulnace.
    I am off to the Pyrennes on sat and dont want to stand in a factory unit and someone throw a bucket of water over head for someone elses satisfaction.
    Tell em to do one, or mtfu ????????????????????

kimbers

[video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=veVPvghtA9g[/video]

martinhutch

MTFU and tell them to do one?

wrecker
    Free Member

It’s great. I’ve done it and of course donated. It’s a bit strange (even disappointing?) that it’s being courted by Macmillan though, do they do anything with MND?

crankboy
    Free Member

Singletrackmind let Patrick Stewart be your inspiration.

GrahamS

I am off to the Pyrennes on sat and dont want to stand in a factory unit and someone throw a bucket of water over head for someone elses satisfaction.
    Tell em to do one, or mtfu ????????????????????

I believe the original idea of the challenge was to tip the ice water over yourself OR wimp out and donate a “fine” to charity. So saying no is always an option.

You’d be in esteemed company:
    [video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wkO4NIqAMss[/video]

martinhutch

Singletrackmind let Patrick Stewart be your inspiration.

Indeed.

[video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FPxRnQmwheE[/video]

iolo
    Free Member

[video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_Swr-vs9mqo[/video]

Is it wrong to find this politically soooo incorrect woman quite hot? Watch it through to the end. It made me laugh.

Drac

I’ve been nominated twice I couldn’t do it today due to work then beer, if it raises and awareness for MND then that’s great. I’ll do it and donate as I seen a neighbour go from a very healthy sporty guy to a wreck who I had to try and resuscitate on my days off in the space of 18 months. If my small donation attributes to stopping one family from going through the same then it’s worth it for a small and easy thing to do.

paulosoxo
    Free Member

This offers nothing to the thread, but MND sounds like one of the worst things you could ever suffer.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 142 total)

The topic ‘When will the Ice Bucket Challenge fad pass?’ is closed to new replies.