Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 51 total)
  • Neighbours hit my car.
  • twoniner
    Free Member

What are my options if she denies it?

Shes drive in to park nose 1st and her rear wheel arch has hit my front bumper on the corner. The car is still parked there and there is blue paint on my car and black paint on hers. I’ve taken photos.

Her mum came out and said she wasn’t in when i knocked this morning so I’m still yet to speak to her.

What are my options if she say’s it wasn’t her? There were no witnesses so it’s all about the evidence. Would it be a police matter?

She may well hold her hands up but it’s if she doesn’t that’s bothering me.

aP
    Free Member

Just report it to the police as a hit and run. She’ll get 6 points, you get satisfaction.

project
    Free Member

thats what your insurance is for

iolo
    Free Member

OP, you worry too much. How can she deny it?
    How much damage on yours? Post the pics on here.

jambalaya
    Free Member

Same thing happened to me recently.

Firstly start with a friendly but firm chat. Show her the evidence etc. Get a quote for repairs, tell garage it’s a private job not insurance so they give you a sensible quote.

If she denies it then you can peruse with letters and threaten court action.

I would avoid both the recommendations above, the police will have no/little interest and insurance claim may cost more in the long run with excees and ncb to consider. In my case the neighbour admitted it.

ricky1
    Free Member

This is where you find out what type of person she is,the proof is there,I saw a neighbour reversing a rather large range rover into one of my neighbours brick walls causing damage,I never said anything because no one asked me about it,baybe you should ask your neighbours what they saw.

brooess
    Free Member

This is where you find out what type of person she is,

Well from what the OP says, she’s not made any effort to make good on the damage she must surely know she’s done to his car. Although you’d have to be a very special kind of stupid to leave your car next to the one you’ve hit with matching paint scrapes making it very obvious there’s been a collision.

You would hope, therefore, that she hasn’t yet round to coming over to admit what she’s done…

Cougar

Young driver? From the OP I’d bet she doesn’t even realise she’s clipped you.

GrahamS

We had a neighbour from a a few doors away do this to to my missus’ car, which is lime green.

We took photos of the fresh scrape marks and the lime green paint transferred onto the neighbour’s car. Spoke to local police. An officer came out, who agreed it was blatantly obvious what had happened but said he couldn’t do anything without a witness or CCTV. 🙁

twoniner
    Free Member

My car.

Most of it should polish out but there are a couple of deep scratches.

Her car, Not come out of it half as bad but black paint residue on the wheel arch. Photo doesn’t show it very well.

let’s just see if she comes round to discuss it and see what she has to say for herself.

ricky1
    Free Member

Maybe she’s waiting for the alchahol do dis shaper from her breath before speaking to you/police?

cranberry
    Free Member

Getting better pictures might be a good idea – the picture of her car doesn’t realy show anything.

Jamie
    Free Member

Maybe she’s waiting for the alchahol do dis shaper from her breath before speaking to you/police?

I reckon she’s not the only one hitting the sauce today.

ricky1
    Free Member

TBH your car looks like it’s been hit by a football rather than scraped by a car.
    Was that ok for you JAMIE ???

ricky1
    Free Member

Will be interesting to see the outcome,let us know how you get on.

twoniner
    Free Member

I will do. I don’t really want to go through the insurance if I can help it because I don’t fancy increased premiums next year but if she agrees to pay for repairs out of the insurance I could just spend my time chasing the money.

iolo
    Free Member

I’m sure this is obvious to you and apologise if I’m being stupid but you have measured the height of your damage from floor level against the the paint on her car?
    She might already have this from a long time ago and could actually not be her fault.

RamseyNeil
    Free Member

This is where you find out what type of person she is,the proof is there,I saw a neighbour reversing a rather large range rover into one of my neighbours brick walls causing damage,I never said anything because no one asked me about it,baybe you should ask your neighbours what they saw.

Well that certainly shows what type of person you are .

franksinatra

Is she fit? Only minor damage so could be sorted out in a more imaginative manner…..

twoniner
    Free Member

I’m sure this is obvious to you and apologise if I’m being stupid but you have measured the height of your damage from floor level against the the paint on her car?
    She might already have this from a long time ago and could actually not be her fault.

Yes, done that. Both are at the same height. I have photos next to a tape measure. Both are 23 inches high.

njee20
    Free Member

I’d definitely be getting better photos, it’s all very well saying “this photo doesn’t really come out”, but you’re relying on the photos if it gets messy.

roper
    Free Member

There appear to be two UFOs near the headless Giant. Maybe they distracted her.

twoniner
    Free Member

Best thing is, she’s not come round to see me but got in the car and done one!

ricky1
    Free Member

Ramseineil what do you mean with that comment,I’ll tell you something for nowt pal I’ve involved myself in other peoples feuds before and never got me or the other party anywhere,as for the person who’s wall she reversed into,he didn’t seem botherd so neither am I,I’ve tried to help people like this in the past but it does no good,what would you do ramseyneil,enlighten us?

shermer75
    Free Member

This is what happens when you find a stranger in the Alps!

Malvern Rider
    Free Member

Is she fit? Only minor damage so could be sorted out in a more imaginative manner…..

Healthy women are more likely to capitulate re your desires for sex as payment? 😯

Bregante

Best thing is, she’s not come round to see me but got in the car and done one!

Off to get some T-Cut

jambourgie
    Free Member

Does the car still work? Doesn’t look that bad to me, I’d be inclined to forget about it and go back to bed rather than face the monster ballache of insurance hassle etc…

RamseyNeil
    Free Member

Ramseineil what do you mean with that comment,I’ll tell you something for nowt pal I’ve involved myself in other peoples feuds before and never got me or the other party anywhere,as for the person who’s wall she reversed into,he didn’t seem botherd so neither am I,I’ve tried to help people like this in the past but it does no good,what would you do ramseyneil,enlighten us?

I would have done what I expect most people would have done . That is gone round and said something along the lines of I’ve just seen X reverse into your wall if you need a witness I’m your man.

DrP

Will be interesting to see the outcome,let us know how you get on.

You bet!!!
    I’ve cancelled a movie night to see what happens….

DrP

twoniner
    Free Member

Does the car still work? Doesn’t look that bad to me, I’d be inclined to forget about it and go back to bed rather than face the monster ballache of insurance hassle etc…

You could think like that but then again it’s the principle of the matter. I don’t know how much that repair will cost me but I bet it won’t be cheap.

jambourgie
    Free Member

True. She should have knocked on.

nuke

Unfortunately car companies have forgotten, in some ways, the primary use of a ‘bumper’ and all these nice colour matched bumpers don’t take well to being knocked and scrapped and this is at a time, it seems, when the number of careless/lazy drivers has increased who consider ‘kiss touching’ other cars as they park as acceptable. Its like colour matched heated electric wing mirrors with integrated indicators…they look nicer but they cost a bloody fortune when they get smashed off!

Personally I reckon a good clean and a bit of black polish would make it barely visible. Annoying but so is chasing your neighbour for repair costs

brooess
    Free Member

this is at a time, it seems, when the number of careless/lazy drivers has increased who consider ‘kiss touching’ other cars as they park as acceptable.

This + standards of driving in residential areas and around cyclists is leading me to the conclusion that modern cars isolate their drivers from the outside world so well that we’re losing basic empathy and awareness of other peoples’ needs once we get inside.
    You wouldn’t walk up to a cyclist and push them off, or walk up to a parked car and boot it, so how when you do this with your car, can you walk away as if you;ve not just done damage to someone or their property?

carlos
    Free Member

Not a great deal of help to the OP, but I had a similar thing a month or so ago (Guy reversed into me, as I was waiting at a Carpark exit). More off a glancing scuff to the off side front bumper. I took it to a local body shop and it was going to cost around £200 for a mobile repair (auto restore, Chios away etc..) or a full on non insurance quite was £450.

I explained the the guy who hit me that I wanted a ‘proper repair’ at £450. He baulked a little but agreed, from then on, No issues in getting it sorted or him paying, worse bit I guess wad I had no car for 2 days.

Hope you get it sorted however it pans out

project
    Free Member

Like i said earlier thats what insurance is for, if she did hit your car report it to your insurance co and let them chase her insurance for repair recompence, or like most of us realise its just a car, and not worh upsetting a neighbour, and getting increased insurance premiums next year.

Bit of soapy watyer and it will be gone .

TheSanityAssassin

Not worth upsetting a neighbour?
    What, like scraping their car and not acknowledging the fact? That kind of not upsetting a neighbour?

twoniner
    Free Member

I couldn’t give a damn about upsetting them.

m0rk
    Free Member

I remember when my (now ex) Neighbour ran his bull bars down all three panels on our car.

He denied doing it, despite the day glow yellow paint still being on this land rover’s appendage.

So I just left it with the insurers who sorted it and gave them his registration plate, name & address.

Granted, it was a couple of grands worth of work, vs probably a £150 smart repair.

Jamie
    Free Member

Like i said earlier thats what insurance is for, if she did hit your car report it to your insurance co and let them chase her insurance for repair recompence, or like most of us realise its just a car, and not worh upsetting a neighbour, and getting increased insurance premiums next year.

Just imagine if it was your Evoque, project. You’d go batshit mental.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 51 total)

The topic ‘Neighbours hit my car.’ is closed to new replies.