Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)
  • When to book Alps summer holiday – now too early?
  • rascal
    Free Member

Off for a long-overdue visit in July/Aug – Morzine or possibly Les Arcs.
    Given that the chalets are now full of skiers etc, will they be interested in taking summer enquiries/bookings now? Just at the initial enquiries stage so not sure how many or type of stay yet…

jambalaya
    Free Member

A lot of the guided holiday weeks are already sold out for 2015. If you mean accommodation only you have more time. Yes they will take bookings etc now.

shifter
    Free Member

Mine was booked months ago and it’s now full on the week I’m going…

rascal
    Free Member

It will be digs/food only…

godzilla
    Free Member

Your probably too late for the best spots.

P-Jay
    Free Member

I’ve tried in years gone by to try to stir them up in the winter months and got little or no replies – as you say they’re busy tending to every whim of the snow brigade (their words, not mine).

IME there’s little or no money to be saved by booking early and whilst some of the famous places sell out, most don’t.

Endless choice for every budget pretty much.

fogliettaz
    Free Member

My apartment in Ste Foy is vacant?

rascal
    Free Member

Fog – where is that?
    Any good bike action?

fogliettaz
    Free Member

Sainte Foy Tarentaise, just across the valley from Les Arcs and down the road from Tignes and 45 minutes from Italy via the Col Petit St Bernard.

Northwind

White Room’s patch basically 🙂 Fabulous riding around there. Haven’t done much unguided riding in the area mind.

rascal
    Free Member

I’ve been to Morzine a few times before – not for a while admittedly – but I know the layout of PdS.
    Having never been to Les Arcs, would it be essential to have a guide to maximise our time there?

nasher
    Free Member

Most book up early to take advantage of cheap flights. Flights used to released up to 3 months ahead, now its more like 9 months, our busiest booking period used to be Jan/Feb these days we are booking up October..

Northwind

@Rascal- slightly tricky question that. I’ve done 3 years guided with white rooms and categorically, rode brilliant stuff that I would have missed, and avoided wasting time, missing connections, all that sort of thing. I couldn’t do the saint foy uplift at all solo because it seems half random and half french. So there’s no chance I could have as good a week, or really come anywhere close.

Buuut, I could have gone down and spent a week riding around there with no guide, a bit of forum advice, and had a brilliant time. If I didn’t know how much better it could be, I’d be happy.

Possibly Yvan Bonin still does solo guiding around there? He used to guide with WR, I spent a couple of the best days ever riding, just chasing his wheel. Just don’t expect many words. Or maybe you could convince a white room or bikevillage guide to do a rest day.

maxtorque

Northwind
    I couldn’t do the saint foy uplift at all solo because it seems half random and half french.

It seems the Foy lift requires a particularly “French” style conversation about proving your Identity, even though you’ve been up the same lift 5 times already that morning, involving lots of shrugging of shoulders, and eventually resulting in an “ok then, but only this once you understand” kind of finish…… 😉

Well worth it mind for the way back down, especially via Care Bear or CBS!

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

nasher – Member
    Most book up early to take advantage of cheap flights. Flights used to released up to 3 months ahead, now its more like 9 months, our busiest booking period used to be Jan/Feb these days we are booking up October..

Ady, are you guys still trying to get somewhere down near San remo too?.

rascal
    Free Member

We’ll be driving.
    Only thing is I don’t know how many are coming. Or when. Or where.
    We need to have a chat.
    Looking at Morzine chalets – but seems pretty pointless until we make a few decisions beforehand 🙄

thegman67

I booked two chalets in Morzine for July 2015 in October for 20 of us

lucky7500

Not strictly relevant, but on Christmas Eve I booked a weeks guided riding in Scotland (incl. accommodation) for June and my first choice of dates was already full!!

jambalaya
    Free Member

OP as I said if you want a fully guided holiday you are probably too late for Jul and Aug. For June and Sep with a bit of pedalling you still have time. To book accommodation only (self catering) you can do it a week or two before. Depends what you are looking for. From the sound of your potential group size you can leave it a bit, you where never looking for fully guided anyway.

Northwind

FWIW I booked in about April or May last year- picked up a cancellation. The plus side of doing a sport in which every so often someone smashes themselves into powder 😆

wallop

We booked our 2015 White Room slot back in September. Not so urgent for booking the second week in Bourg.

nasher
    Free Member

@ nobeerinthefridge

We are already based in Sanremo, but For Nov – end of March, then we head to Molini..

That said molini is about 15 degrees, sunny and no snow at the moment!!

Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)

The topic ‘When to book Alps summer holiday – now too early?’ is closed to new replies.