Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)
  • When is a test not a test?
  • MoreCashThanDash

Apparently my son’s maths teacher has been banned from using the word “test”. He was also told he couldn’t call them “assessments” either.

So today they had what the teacher has decided to call “a celebration of knowledge”.

😆

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Did everyone get a medal?

MoreCashThanDash

It’s not an American school!

scaredypants

surely it’d be a numberwang ?

CharlieMungus
    Free Member

I can understand it not being a test, as if he is not being tested, nor is his knowledge. It does sound like an assessment, but of course assessments have some many negative connotations nowadays, it makes it difficult to choose the right word. What would you suggest?

shifter
    Free Member

Quiz

househusband

Did the teacher use the blackboard..? Oh, wait – that’s yet another word we can’t use… 😕

CharlieMungus
    Free Member

You just made that up. There has been no prohibition of the word Blackboard, it happens that very few schools still have blackboards, but in fact the VLE which most schools and colleges use is actually called Blackboard and this has been unproblematic. Funny though, because there is a word I would use for those who practice this lazy derision and in fact that really is a word we can’t use, in here anyway

Spin
    Free Member

You just made that up.

I’m not so sure the blackboard ban thing didn’t happen as knee jerk reaction or misinterpretation in some nervous local authorities. I certainly remember several teachers in the late 80’s /early 90’s telling us they’d been told by Strathclyde Council not to say it. This was about the time we were offered a week’s amnesty to remove racist graffiti from jotters etc and a hysterical teacher sent me to be headmaster because she overheard me saying that Michael Jackson wanted to be white.

Strange times and confused people.

slowoldman

Well I’m sure I’ve come across the term “chalkboard”.

Oh and during my time as a public health engineer (sewerage) manholes became access chambers.

As for test, how about “evaluation”?

Junkyard
    Free Member

let’s see who is stupid day ?

onehundredthidiot

Formative and summative assessments. That’s what they are.

Kid a a borders primary was suspended and a parents meeting called because he sang bah bah black sheep. (Roberton primary, it’s shut now there were only a dozen kids )

anagallis_arvensis

We cant have mocks anymore as it makes them sound funny. Its all Pre Public Examinations now!!

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

Purely advisory questions?

project
    Free Member

You just made that up. There has been no prohibition of the word Blackboard, it happens that very few schools still have blackboards, but in fact the VLE which most schools and colleges use is actually called Blackboard and this has been unproblematic.

Many years ago i worked for a company making childrens easels, eg BLACKBOARDS, the ones in charge decided the use of the word Blackboard could be seen as derogatory, so i was sent a memo telling me in future they where to be called Chalk boards, a few weeks later got asked to manufacture some as a trial with a white faced side,eg white boards, and a chalk board side, i rewrote the memo and sent it back saying some people may find the use of the term Whiteboard offensive and they should be called Painting easels, never got any more work from them.

The same people decided all toys that children hit with a hammer or some other item would be banned from sale, no more hammer peg, or a few other toys.

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

Our rugby tour to Blackpool, Whitehaven & Cockermouth was cancelled for obvious reasons

onehundredthidiot

We tried to go to Scunthorpe but the firewall blocked it.

deadkenny
    Free Member

It’s a Knowledge Audit

matt_outandabout

A test is not a test when it’s a PISA assessment – much of which is a computer guessing how a pupil who might have sat a test might have answered a hypothetical test….and now we seem to be basing education policy on it.

househusband

You just made that up…

I’m a teacher… I never make stuff up. 😉

Northwind

It’s like the motorbike “certificate of basic training”. It’s not a test, you can’t fail. Oh, can I just have the certificate now? No, you have to complete the training succesfully. So it’s a test? No. At the end of the day, once completing the training, do I definitely get the certificate? No, if you’re not good enough you don’t get it. So it’s a test? No.

onehundredthidiot

I teach a group of kids with learning and behavioural issues, they are doing a course which is national 3 equivalent to lower than afoundation gcse.

There are assessments. Do you go lightly and give pupils with very few positive experiences of conventional education a positive outcome or do you fail them for not getting 8/16 on a test?

jambalaya
    Free Member

Talent Contest

n0b0dy0ftheg0at
    Free Member

When you know the correct answers in advance. 😉

slowoldman

X Factor.

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)

The topic ‘When is a test not a test?’ is closed to new replies.