Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • When did guising stop in Scotland…
  • mcmoonter
    Free Member

…and everyone went all American and trick or treating?

Mantastic
    Free Member

I used to go guising, had songs, poems and various jokes to tell people. Guising was the time when you had to earn your treat not blackmail it from people like today

davidrussell
    Free Member

i thought when you put a mask on and asked someone for something that was called robbery.

at least i went in and told a shitty joke for my tangerine.

franksinatra

It hasn’t stopped here in the Borders, all the kids are telling jokes or singing.

bazookajoe
    Free Member

Round about the time their parents couldn’t be bothered doing it with them?

We’ve just taken a horde round the local houses singing songs, and folk at out door have been singing and telling jokes

swavis

Still guising round here too. Had a few round telling jokes just as I did as a kid 😀

thv3
    Free Member

It hasn’t stopped here in the Borders, all the kids are telling jokes or singing.

Same here in Inners despite the weather, guess the sugar is worth it!

scotroutes

We’ve always had kids singing and/or telling jokes. Many are a bit shy until you prod them a bit though!

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Same time we stopped scooping oot neeps and started using those bloody pumpkins!

davidrussell
    Free Member

i have to admit carving a tumshie was a test of strength and persistence that started about a week before Halloween.

Spin
    Free Member
    Northwind

We just had some oldschool guisers. Obviously the parents pulling the strings mind.

davidrussell – Member

i have to admit carving a tumshie was a test of strength and persistence that started about a week before Halloween.

With a teaspoon, of all the inappropriate tools. Or if you were really lucky an incredibly blunt table knife.

athgray
    Free Member

Right about the borders. Just asked a machete wielding banana what his trick was. He said he could chuck eggs at me if I wished. Turned that offer down.

kcal

As far as I know still done here — our kids are a bit old for it now and so we don’t get the folk round that we used to, but couple of years ago it was the usual rammy in the front room with treacle, apples, water everywhere, crap jokes, songs, outfits — a hoot!

MussEd
    Free Member

Never mind the American Trick or Treat BS. I saw a guiser tonight wearing a high viz jacket over their ghost costume!!!! Health & Safety gone mad I tell ye…

joshvegas
    Free Member

bazookajoe – Member
    Round about the time their parents couldn’t be bothered doing it with them?

We’ve just taken a horde round the local houses singing songs, and folk at out door have been singing and telling jokes

Parents going with has not and never will be guising

bazookajoe
    Free Member

Parents going with has not and never will be guising

If only you’d been there all those years to tell us we were doing it wrong! We weren’t guising after all!

joshvegas
    Free Member

Sorry to dissapoint you, have some nuts and 15p in coppers.

VanMan
    Free Member

Haven’t seen any around my bit of Stirling tonight. Still that means I get to eat all the Tangfastics 8)

geoffj

Our 2 have been guising with some friends and MrsJ tonight. There was a good community feel to it with folks inviting them into the houses to tell their jokes and sing their songs. There is a warm glow around the village tonight. It’s a far cry from the begging trick a treating folks did when I was growing up in the grim north west of englandshire.

gordimhor

It’s not stopped it’s just disguised.

Sorry I ll get my coat

Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)

The topic ‘When did guising stop in Scotland…’ is closed to new replies.