Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)
  • Wheel Sucker
  • fasthaggis

Out on my road bike for a spin tonight and had a dodgy bloke on an ATB puffing and panting along behind me.I slowed down but he didn’t seem to have the gas to go past,or maybe he just liked my lycra. The noise of him weazing along really spoiled a nice night.
    🙂

tmb467
    Free Member

Snigger

fasthaggis

I know,it looked like a Scott Spark 😉

Spin
    Free Member

He didn’t have the gas to go past or you didn’t have the gas to drop him? 😉

Jamie
    Free Member

He didn’t have the gas to go past or you didn’t have the gas to drop him?

There were no winners here… 🙁

crosshair
    Free Member

Lmfao! 😀

I wonder how long you’d been getting a tow in my ample slipstream beforehand 😉

richpips
    Free Member

You have mentioned your road bike lycra and someone wheezing on his ATB.

:Kudos:

fasthaggis

He didn’t have the gas to go past or you didn’t have the gas to drop him?

I kept slowing down but I think he was updating his facebook status or some nonsense,all the time sounding like someone on the edge of asphyxiation. I still think it was my lycra 😯

Superficial
    Free Member

I don’t really get the whole attitude toward people ‘wheelsucking’.

Slipstreaming is more efficient
    If he’s on a mountain bike, he’s unlikely to be faster than you head-to-head (if he is, shame on you!) and so he’s not really going to want to do his ‘time in the wind’
    If he wants to look at your bum and make his life (and yours*) easier by slipstreaming, so be it.

*apparently even the person at the front of a group gets a minor aero advantage by others trailing in their slipstream. Source: Chris Boardman told me on the TdF.

mickolas
    Free Member

I reckon Chris is wrong or his argument doesn’t apply in most cases. I can feel the backwards pull of a big lorry or bus before it overtakes me on the open road, transitioning into a gentle tow as/after it passes.

Maybe it’s different in a race team with all riders in aero crouches and riding within centimetres of each others wheels. Kind of like doubling the length and weight of your car and fitting a second engine vs having two cars. Both engines would benefit, but only because the airflow is properly uninterrupted.

Probably not the case for most of us, most of the time.

globalti
    Free Member

You’re bound to feel increased wind as a bus or lorry passes you; that’s the air they are displacing rushing along the sides to fill the vacuum behind them so it will be moving slightly faster than your own air.

jekkyl

What happens if you’re in front and you let rip a fart of magnificent proportions?

Edric64
    Free Member

You’re bound to feel increased wind as a bus or lorry passes you; that’s the air they are displacing rushing along the sides to fill the vacuum behind them so it will be moving slightly faster than your own air.

Thats why dual carriageway timetrials are quick if there are lots of big vehicles ,got a good tow of 3 coaches in convoy the other week 😆

rickmeister

What happens if you’re in front and you let rip a fart of magnificent proportions then follow through into your skinsuit ?

FIFY

gofasterstripes
    Free Member

You probably come here and start a thread about it.

boblo
    Free Member

Yeah it’s a bind isn’t it? I gave some bloke a piggy back for a couple of miles yesterday when I was out for my run…..

scotroutes

To some folk on this thread…

* WHOOSH!!! *

fasthaggis

I know 🙄

I shouldn’t have bothered ,my thread linking comedy skills must be none existent too subtle 🙂

jamiea
    Free Member

A bloke passed me on my commute yesterday, about 500m from my door. I thought bugger that, I’ll nick a nice toe home but going over a drain cover he heard my panniers rattle, stepped on the gas and dropped me 😆 I must admit to feeling a little guilty 😳

Cheers,
    Jamie

boblo
    Free Member

Toe home? 😆

buzz-lightyear
    Free Member

A rider directly behind you takes your drag wake. A truck is a different matter entirely!

mickolas
    Free Member

only if there is no interruption to the air flow pattern between you and that rider.

mickolas
    Free Member

double post

gofasterstripes
    Free Member

Let me guess, you posted twice so the first one pulls the second one along faster?

Sandwich

Toe home?

Camel toe? Slightly bigger lycra required sir 😀

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)

The topic ‘Wheel Sucker’ is closed to new replies.