Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Wheel bearings, any reason I shouldn't change em DIY stylee?
  • jkomo

It looks easy enough to knock up a puller/ press using a long bolt and some washers.
    Combined with bearings not from a bike shop, should cost about a tenner a wheel.
    Is this a bad idea?

Northwind

Nah, unless you’re a monkey. Careful with pullers, you really want to only apply force on the outer race, which a washer/bolt setup won’t quite do. Also rear hubs will normally need the axle in which rules out that approach.Sockets is what I use, there’s obviously other alternatives.

z1ppy

Worth searching for a “how to” for your particular hubs before hand, but no reason not to, go for it.

tonyd

Definitely worth doing yourself. I just drifted mine out with a piece of bamboo (so you can’t put too much force through it at any one time) and a hammer. Rubber mallet to carefully fit the new ones. I’d use a socket but don’t have one the right size.

forzafkawi
    Free Member

I warm the hub with a hot air gun before I push the bearings in as well. Just opens up the hub a bit and lets the bearings push in a bit easier. Don’t heat too much though.

booktownman
    Free Member

In the past I’ve drifted the old ones out with hammer and screwdriver, bashed in the new ones using a hammer and stub of broom handle whittled down to size.

jairaj

I did my Superstar hib bearing DIY. Knocked out old bearings with screwdriver and hammer.

Used threaded rod, nut, washers and old bearing to push the new bearing in. worked fine no problems.

jkomo

Cool, cheers

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘Wheel bearings, any reason I shouldn't change em DIY stylee?’ is closed to new replies.