Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Wheel Advice – Tough But Not Too Heavy XC Wheels
  • tomd
    Free Member

I’m looking for a new set of wheels. I like to keep both wheels close to the ground, but the bike gets ridden hard on all sorts of terrain and does a few races. So I guess I want robust but without getting something over the top.

– Bike has 20mm Reba on the front
    – The Bike has centrelock rotors, which are both in good condition
    – I run tubeless and don’t want to use inner tubes ever again
    – Bike’s a hardtail
    – I’m around 85kg

So are hope hoops worth considering even with the faff of changing rotors? Maybe a ProII evo on a flow rim? I’m happy with Shimano hubs so would I be better saving a hundred quid and getting XT hubs with Arch or Flow rims?

If there is anything else I should be considering that would be very useful info? I like the idea that hope & shimano parts are easy to come by and the spokes are normal.

Thanks

Rorschach
    Free Member

Arch ex’s on dt 240 centrelock hubs.

IA

Build something to your own spec? XT hubs, dt spokes, stans crest (or arch for a bit more toughness)?

tomd
    Free Member

Yeah I think I would kill a crest going by past experience so speccing a custom wheel with arch rims (or similar) makes sense. I will look at those DT Swiss hubs for a more bling option.

What’s Mavic or DTs “tough” XC rim which compares to a NoTubes Arch?

TimCotic
    Free Member

I’m about 81 kg now but I was 87kg for most of the last 2 years. I’ve had a pair of Stans wheels from JRA for the last 2 years with no probs. Stans ZTR hubs and 355 rim front and Arch rim rear (both with DT supercomps)JRA do most hubs – I preferred ZTRs as they were quieter and smoother running. I ran them with tubes for ages and recently went tubeless – should have done it ages ago. Highly reccommended. They’d probably reccommend Crest rims to you as they are the new design. Use ordinary tyres tubeless but NOT actual tubeless tyres as they are a bugger to mount.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

The topic ‘Wheel Advice – Tough But Not Too Heavy XC Wheels’ is closed to new replies.