Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 76 total)
  • What's your earliest 'news' memory?
  • thegreatape
    Free Member

Mine is the famine in Ethopia. I was six when it was first in the news. What's yours?

iDave
    Free Member

Munich Olympic hostage/killings, I also was 6

dobo
    Free Member

i'm sure i remember watching a space shuttle launch on tv at school, was a big deal..primary school, maybe it was the first one?

Ticklinjock

Moonlanding – I was 6 at the time too.

lister-hooded
    Free Member

Moon landing for me to…

was at primary school at the time and there was a BIG assembly in the main hall so we could all watch TV together, can't recall if it was recorded or live …. far too long ago

swamp_boy

JFK assassination, I was 7 at the time.

I was at school, but have been known to tell conspiracy theorists that I was on a grassy knoll in Dallas.

First Lunar landing, dad got me out of bed in the middle of the night to watch it.
    No regrets, still remember it all now despite my age

psychle
    Free Member

Australia winning the America's Cup in 1983… strangely enough I was 6 as well… is there something in that?

McQ
    Free Member

The Falklands War – I was 5 and thought it was of the coast of Scotland, tell you I was suprised when my grandad showed me on a map where is actually is!

Zulu-Eleven
    Free Member

Iranian Embassy Siege – also six!

mrmo
    Free Member

i think the raising of the mary rose, i would have been 8?

guitarhero
    Free Member

Elvis dying.

tails
    Free Member

Berlin Wall and World Cup of the same year or more to the point the theme tune.

I like it when people pull down things far stronger than they are, in this case the wall. I found it frustrating when the Iraqi people were trying to pull down saddams statue and in we waded with our tank.

BlingBling
    Free Member

Thatcher f*cking us over.

Brother_Will
    Free Member

zeebrugge ferry disaster we were due to travel out on ferry to germany 3 weeks later i was 5.

derek_starship
    Free Member

The first news story I remember was the IRA killing of Shadow N.I. secretary Airey Neave with a car bomb. It was a lovely blue Vauxhall Cavalier they wrecked. I was 10 and into cars. Edit – it was 1979.

Harry_the_Spider

Death of the pope (Paul VI – I had to look it up just now) in August 1978. Don't know why as we're not Catholics.

It was on TV and I was a morbid 9 year old.

neilsonwheels
    Free Member

+1 for the famine.

Mattie_H
    Free Member

+ 1 for the Falklands War — must have been towards the end though because in my head we were in a caravan on a farm in Cornwall. I'd have been five.

FoxyChick
    Free Member

Moon landings.
    Same as Teggs Horatio Stegosaur! (who??) 8)

Doug
    Free Member

Winter of discontent and the start of the Thatcher era. I only remember because the lights kept going out so we toasted marshmallows on the gas fire.

esselgruntfuttock
    Free Member

Elvis dying

What!! Elvis is dead??

JFK assasination for me. I'd be 7.

crazy-legs

The one that sticks clearest in my memory is the Challenger disaster live on John Craven's Newsround. That was early 1986 so I was 8.
    There must be earlier ones though but it all kind of blurs together.

zaskar
    Free Member

Falklands war I think.

pacemaker
    Free Member

+1 for Iranian Embassy seige.

Beagleboy

Elvis dying here too. I was walking home from primary school when a lady came out of her house in floods of tears to tell me that he'd died. I didn't have a clue what she was on about. When was that 77' or 78? So I would've been 7 or 8 then.

B.

JamesM
    Free Member

The Aberfan disaster.
    The schoolchildren were kids my age. It touched me deeply and still does if I think about it.

Singlespeedpunk
    Free Member

Iranian Embassy / Falklands….We have an exhibition at work about major world events at the moment and I was amazed that how many people I work with would put the first Gulf War down…damn young uns!

SSP

thekingisdead
    Free Member

Beckham leaving Man Utd.

5thElefant
    Free Member

A moon landing. One of the later ones. Shame they're now in the realm of legends and fairy tales.

StuE
    Free Member

Churchill's funeral, would have been 4 at the time.

rich_tee
    Free Member

Raising of the Mary Rose – I remember school assembly being interrupted so we could watch it

I also remember seeing empty shelves in the local shop during the winter of discontent.

cullen-bay
    Free Member

september the 11th, I was 7 years and 1 day old at the time….

tails
    Free Member

september the 11th, I was 7 years and 1 day old at the time….

Here you go lad 😉

coolhandluke
    Free Member

Summer of 1976 being warm and its all the news seemed to go on about.

I was 7.

Kuco

The wheel being invented. Well, thats how old I feel today.

Probably the one that sticks in my mind is the Iranian embassy siege.

Pembo
    Free Member

Churchill's funeral, would have been 4 at the time.

Spooky. That was my first memory and I was also 4. But I don't remember England winning the world cup a year and a bit later.

mtbmatt
    Free Member

Iraq war no.1 maybe?

khegs
    Free Member

+1 for Falklands and the Iranian Embassy siege. I was 4 at the time.

CountZero

Possibly Churchill's funeral, or Kennedy's assassination. Those two are the only major ones that I remember, anyways.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 76 total)

The topic ‘What's your earliest 'news' memory?’ is closed to new replies.