Viewing 32 posts - 1 through 32 (of 32 total)
  • What's wrong with my car??
  • BullFrog
    Free Member

I own a 56 Peugeot 407 HDI SW. It only has 25k on the clock. Yesterday i started it up and "Depollution system fault" appeared on the dash board display.
    I've taken it to my Peugeot dealer and they think it's the ECU. Would you believe that the warranty ran out less than 6 weeks ago.
    Has anyone else had the same problem with their Peugeot? What's an ECU? Would it be worth speaking with Peugeot to see if they could do it under warranty?
    Ar*e 🙁

pacemaker
    Free Member

It's French?

unsponsored
    Free Member

If its only 6weeks they may still honour the warranty especially if its a known issue. The ECU is the cars brain, essentially a computer that controls just about all settings.

Have they plugged the car in and ran diagnostics? Do they know it definitely is the ECU?

try over here – http://www.peugeotcentral.co.uk/

BullFrog
    Free Member

Yes they did plug it into a diagnostic computer. They say that all things are pointing towards the ECU. It's a great car and has been no problem since i got it new. Hopefully Peugeot may honour any work that needs doing. What else could it be?

Del
    BullFrog
    Free Member

Google works fine thanks..Just thought i'd ask STW. Thanks anyway.

jam-bo

I own a Peugeot

there you go, found your problem…

michaelbowden

if you're having the work done at a Pug dealer you might be lucky with some help towards the cost but it won't be all of it. Ask the dealer to contact Pug UK to ask for help with the cost. If work being done outside the Pug network you'll have no luck

Drac

Good luck with Peugeot being so kind to warrant it, they refused to do a known fault on mine that they were fixing on most, reason was that I had it looked at a none Pug garage. Despite this not being allowed any more they stood their ground as it was a fix they weren't obliged to do. I will never again buy a Pug.

Hope it they do it for you though.

rs
    Free Member

sounds to me like someone programmed the cars brain to screw up with a fake problem just outside of warranty.

GaVgAs
    Free Member

I would be surprised if its an actual fault with the ECU,Something else has triggered a fault code stored in the ECU more like.

It could be lots of possibilitys,but usually something simple,EGR Valve (system) is one option,I would have a look at any vacuum hoses around the Inlet Manifold side of the engine,also check the airfilter housing and Air Intake Temperature sensor conection.

Does the car have any other faults?…apart from the fact its a peugeot 😉

michaelbowden

Drac

Any motor manufacturer would be the same outside warranty, I have worked for serveral.

Whilst they cannot insist that you have your servicing done in their network to keep it's warranty. For all goodwill (i.e. repairs covered/partly covered outside of the warranty period) they will look to see if you have supported their dealer network before offering any support.

Why should a manufacturer of any product support a customer beyond the warranty when they have not supported them/their network?

Bullfrog

If Pug do offer to assist with the cost of the repair and you also contribute you will have 12 month warranty on the repair. if Pug cover the whole cost you will get no warranty on the repair.

If you want any more help email me

Mike

chopperT
    Free Member

Depollution fault sounds like it points to a diesel particulate filter fault. There should be some kind of burn off cycle that the ecu carries out to keep the filter clear. If it isn't doing this it will eventually cause the fault.

Your dealer with diagnostics should be able to figure out what is going on.
    A "faulty ECU" is often blamed, but rarely the cause

Andy-Mac
    Free Member

It's French Mr Bullfrog end of story. You were warned !

I'll laugh from dawn to dusk if Peugeot rip you off for a new ECU. Parting with cash will break your heart. Your tight as a duck's thingy and they want to see the colour of your money ! Good luck mate, oh yeah, you should have bought a Volvo, V50 2.0D R Design, faultless,,,,,,,,

GaVgAs
    Free Member

I think ChopperT has found the problem 😉

Andy-Mac
    Free Member

Mrs H says or a C30 !

BullFrog
    Free Member

Sorry…Just finished my tea so haven't seen all the replies. I listed some faults to the technician. He said that he had checked them all and the fault points back to the ECU. He said that the worse senario is a new ECU at about £400.00.

BF

BullFrog
    Free Member

Andy Mac

Volvo's are great. Especially yours. The dog dick red colour is stunning 😉

Dan67
    Free Member

BullFrog
    What's an ECU?

Electronic control unit. this is the engine management computer which cotrols how the engine operaters how much fuel/air is injected. It also measures and compares wheel speeds for your traction control and ABS amongst a number of other things.
    Also replacing it is very expensive. So try to get it done under warranty

coffeeking
    Free Member

Bullfrog – it's almost definitely not going to be the ECU – its almost unheard of. Where in the world are you? Get yourself over onto tdciforum.co.uk, theres a chap called (IIRC) canyondust who deals with just about every diag you can imagine, and also is vastly over qualified for the work in other elec eng respects. IF he can't find the fault remotely, no-one can. Do you know the actual fault code stored? The env protection stuff can be buggered up by all sorts, from as simple as needing a top-up of DPF fluid (gets injected to burn off particulates in the exhaust) to a poor seal on the fuel cap.

Ignore the endless anti-french waffle.

BullFrog
    Free Member

Hi Coffeeking

I'm in Settle, North Yorkshire. I'll check that website out. I'll also be popping into the garage to keep an eye on things and get the fault code.

I've been luckly so far with vehicles. I never really had any major problems. Just hope this gets sorted out without emptying my wallet.

Many thanks for all the replies.

rickmeister

Bet its the dpf. Audi and vw have had a load of problems with cars fitted with this exhaust filter. You could try ragging it down the motorway to clear it or google peugeot dpf problem. If you tootle round in the car it blocks. As does the egr valve which recirculates oily fumes for a second burning, the valve often gums up. There is loads on this, just do the google research. I reckon they may charge for an ECU replacement (unheard of), say its not that and charge for something else…. and so on…

GaVgAs
    Free Member

"Ignore the endless anti-french waffle"…but its True :mrgreen:

Olly
    Free Member

nowt wrong with peugeots.

no one makes a perfect car, not even volvo, so beak it Swedes.
    Peugeots tend to have tempremental electronics.

either an ECU reboot, or the oxygen sensor in the exhaust has waggled loose, so the car cant modify the fuel use to prevent clouds of crap coming out the back (like you get in volvos for instance)

ever seen an HDi cough a cloud of crap when they accelerate? 'cause i know mine doesnt.

scraprider
    Free Member

top marks to chopperT , particular filter needs a service, or a drive cycle. mate if you got a owners handbook have a flip through it and I.D said light.unlikly to be ECU.

takisawa2

Nah, more likely to be a sensor somewhere or th DPF. Doubt the ECU is at fault. How does it run ? Did it go into limp home mode ?

coffeeking
    Free Member

ever seen an HDi cough a cloud of crap when they accelerate? 'cause i know mine doesnt.

Yup, mine does 😀

stumpy01

My first thought was particulate filter, as others have suggested.

cp

yep, particulate filter is my thought. How do you 'generally' drive – low revs, using the torque of the diesel? If so, go for a longish drive, and once the engine has warmed up accelerate hard using high revs, go on the motorway and use high revs rather than a high gear.

using low revs these filters can easily block… which is how you'd normally drive a diesel car ironically. You need to give them a bit of stick every now and them to keep the dpf from blocking.

CHB

I have a volvo V40. The only thing to ever go wrong with it is the wiring loom. The wiring loom was made by Peugeot.

monkey_boy
    Free Member

"Ignore the endless anti-french waffle"…but its True

ive had many 'french cars' and **** all major has gone wrong with them.. maybe im lucky.

my old Saxo is still going strong at 127,00 miles all its had is a new battery and tyres.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

it's almost definitely not going to be the ECU – its almost unheard of

And the most common fault resulting in car's being scrapped in the UK is? [drumroll] ECU failiure [cymbal] mean time to failiure is 7 years.

Bring back carbs and mechanical injection 😛

Viewing 32 posts - 1 through 32 (of 32 total)

The topic ‘What's wrong with my car??’ is closed to new replies.